* Right way to load hyphenation patterns
@ 2005-04-27 20:50 Ville Voipio
From: Ville Voipio @ 2005-04-27 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to use a non-standard hyphenation pattern (Finnish)
in some of my documents. I have been able to make it work
by:

  editing cont-usr.tex (removing a % from the \installlanguage)
  remaking formats (texexec --make)
  copying the format wile to the .../web2c directory

This works. However, I read in the Wiki that "It is generally
better to add local settings to a run-time included file like
cont-sys.tex instead, so unless your stuff does absolutely
have to become part of the format file, you are better off
leaving this file well alone."

So, where should I put the \installlanguage directive for
it to be in the right place? Is it something that really has
to be there when the formats are being built, or could it
be loaded afterwards (i.e. at run-time)? Could it be put in
the cont-sys.tex?

TIA,

- Ville

* Re: Right way to load hyphenation patterns
@ 2005-04-27 21:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-04-27 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ville Voipio wrote:
> I want to use a non-standard hyphenation pattern (Finnish)
> in some of my documents. I have been able to make it work
> by:
>
>   editing cont-usr.tex (removing a % from the \installlanguage)
>   remaking formats (texexec --make)
>   copying the format wile to the .../web2c directory
>
> This works. However, I read in the Wiki that "It is generally
> better to add local settings to a run-time included file like
> cont-sys.tex instead, so unless your stuff does absolutely
> have to become part of the format file, you are better off
> leaving this file well alone."
>
> So, where should I put the \installlanguage directive for
> it to be in the right place? Is it something that really has
> to be there when the formats are being built, or could it
> be loaded afterwards (i.e. at run-time)? Could it be put in
> the cont-sys.tex?

texexec --make --all

will add all patterns

also, you can download a zip with patterns from our website (since you can never
be sure what is on your system)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE