* RE: oldstyle figures
@ 2005-04-19 15:02 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-19 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From Eckhart Guthöhrlein <eckhart.guthoehrlein@uni-
>> should do everything you need: since u're not mixing text in \digits do you
>> really need a global math font reencoding?
>
>In principle yes. For example, $f(x)=3x+7$ should come out with oldstyle
>figures, if these are used by default, shouldn't it?

No, I don't think so (see below)

>Btw, striving for good typography, in which cases should oldstyle
>figures *not* be used?

I am no typography expert, but I think that old style figures are, generally
speaking, inappropriate for math mode. The various heights, etc. make more
work for the brain in complicated mathematics expressions. I can't recall ever
seeing good mathematics/physics done in old style figures. OS numerals are
actually _text_ figures, as Bringhurst points out. In my own academic journal
there is little to no math, but when someone mentions, e.g., the version of a
computer program, I put the version number in upright figures, thought the
rest of the journal is in os figures.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth:-)

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: oldstyle figures
       [not found] <426D5810@webmail.colostate.edu>
@ 2005-04-19  7:56 ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2005-04-19  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 at 16:30:04-0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> >So, how to tell \digits to use oldstyle
> >figures, and/or how to make them the math mode default?
>
> Since it switches to math mode, one has to reencode the math fonts, i guess.
> In the meantime:
>
>  \def\OSdigits#1{\digits{\os#1}}
>
>  \OSdigits{1234}

Unfortunately not. It works in text mode, but produces a bunch of errors
in math mode. \digits doesn't seem to like \os in its argument. This
definition works here for now:

\def\OSdigits#1{\ifmmode{\os\digits{#1}}\else\digits{\os#1}\fi}

> should do everything you need: since u're not mixing text in \digits do you
> really need a global math font reencoding?

In principle yes. For example, $f(x)=3x+7$ should come out with oldstyle
figures, if these are used by default, shouldn't it?
Btw, striving for good typography, in which cases should oldstyle
figures *not* be used?

Best regards,
--
Eckhart

* Re: oldstyle figures
@ 2005-04-18 20:59   ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-18 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Idris,
this didn't work for me:
\usetypescript [URWGaramond][\defaultencoding]
\usetypescript [map] [latin-modern-os] [\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont [urwgaramond,11pt]
\starttext
123456
\stoptext

Any help?
thank you

ciro

* Re: oldstyle figures
@ 2005-04-18 13:04   ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2005-04-18 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 at 10:49:00-0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:23:47 +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein
> <eckhart.guthoehrlein@uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >is there a way to set up oldstyle figures as the default? I have found
> >some stuff searching the archive, but it doesn't really help me to get
> >along.

> \starttext
>
> \usetypescript [modern][\defaultencoding]
> \usetypescript [map]   [latin-modern-os] [\defaultencoding]
>
> \setupbodyfont[modern] test 1234 test
>
> \stoptext
>
> And I'm working on a ConTeXt magazine where I show how to do this.

Thanks Idris, it works (if you put the \usetypscript commands before
\starttext). Here comes the followup question: How to make it work with
the \digits command?
\digits{1234567890} gives ordinary figures. I guess this is because of
an implicit switch to math mode. So, how to tell \digits to use oldstyle

@ 2005-04-13 16:49 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-13 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:23:47 +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein
<eckhart.guthoehrlein@uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> is there a way to set up oldstyle figures as the default? I have found
> some stuff searching the archive, but it doesn't really help me to get
> along.

\starttext

\usetypescript [modern][\defaultencoding]
\usetypescript [map]   [latin-modern-os] [\defaultencoding]

\setupbodyfont[modern] test 1234 test

\stoptext

And I'm working on a ConTeXt magazine where I show how to do this.

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* oldstyle figures
@ 2005-04-13 13:23 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2005-04-13 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

is there a way to set up oldstyle figures as the default? I have found
some stuff searching the archive, but it doesn't really help me to get
along.
And does it work with the \digits command?

Greetings,
--
Eckhart