* reference
@ 2005-04-29  9:52 Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2005-04-29  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list members,

I can't figure out how to refer to figures. In the setuparea I have
e.g.:

\useexternalfigure[anapler][anaplerosis][width=\textwidth]

In the body I had:

\placefigure{Acetyl-CoA stimuliert die anaplerotische Reaktion
etc...}{\externalfigure[anapler]}

In the text:

(\in{Abb.}[anapler]

pdf output gave Abb. ??

I then added a reference to \placefigure:

\placefigure[anapler1]{text ...}[anapler]

and

(\in{Abb.}[anapler1]

Same result, i.e. ??

I then thought that maybe, although this seems unlikely, "[fig:..] is
needed, as in the examples in the manuals. I replaced the reference
with [fig:anapler], same result.

As so far practically nothing worked the first time, but I always
managed to find the error after some time, I kept staring at the
manuals and my tex file. It didn't help. I hope somebody has the
answer.
Thank you very much, Jörg.

PD Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
DKBW, University of Basel
Mattenstrasse 28
CH-4058 Basel
Switzerland
Phone +41 (0)61 6953049

* Re: reference
@ 2005-04-29 11:53 ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2005-04-29 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try for instance

\placefigure
[] % 1st [] argument is for placing options like: here, force
[anapler] % 2nd [] argument is the label
{caption}   %1st {} argument is caption
{\externalfigure[path-tofigurefile][width=3in]}

Then

\in{Abb.}[anapler]

will (hopefully) work.

Matthias

On Apr 29, 2005, at 4:52 AM, Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I can't figure out how to refer to figures. In the setuparea I have
> e.g.:
>
> \useexternalfigure[anapler][anaplerosis][width=\textwidth]
>
> In the body I had:
>
> \placefigure{Acetyl-CoA stimuliert die anaplerotische Reaktion
> etc...}{\externalfigure[anapler]}
>
> In the text:
>
> (\in{Abb.}[anapler]
>
> pdf output gave Abb. ??
>
> I then added a reference to \placefigure:
>
> \placefigure[anapler1]{text ...}[anapler]
>
> and
>
> (\in{Abb.}[anapler1]
>
> Same result, i.e. ??
>
> I then thought that maybe, although this seems unlikely, "[fig:..] is
> needed, as in the examples in the manuals. I replaced the reference
> with [fig:anapler], same result.
>
> As so far practically nothing worked the first time, but I always
> managed to find the error after some time, I kept staring at the
> manuals and my tex file. It didn't help. I hope somebody has the
> answer.
> Thank you very much, Jörg.
>
> PD Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
> Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
> DKBW, University of Basel
> Mattenstrasse 28
> CH-4058 Basel
> Switzerland
> Phone +41 (0)61 6953049

* Re: reference
@ 2005-04-29 18:45 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-04-29 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jörg,

The \placefigure command knows more optional things:

\placefigure
[left, right, here, top, bottom, inleft, inright, inmargin, margin,
leftmargin, rightmargin, leftedge, rightedge, innermargin, outermargin,
inneredge, outeredge, inner, outer, line, high, low, fit, page,
opposite, always, force, tall, reset, line, height, depth]
[ref,..]
{caption}
{\externalfigure[name][options]}

So you need to add [anapler] as the reference before the caption.

A good startingpoint for such problems is the texshow utility. To start
it type at the command line texmfstrat texshow. Otherwise if you use the
SciTe editor it is incorporated under the Help-button or just hit F1.

Kind regards

Willi

Jörg Hagmann wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> I can't figure out how to refer to figures. In the setuparea I have e.g.:
>
> \useexternalfigure[anapler][anaplerosis][width=\textwidth]
>
> In the body I had:
>
> \placefigure{Acetyl-CoA stimuliert die anaplerotische Reaktion
> etc...}{\externalfigure[anapler]}
>
> In the text:
>
> (\in{Abb.}[anapler]
>
> pdf output gave Abb. ??
>
> I then added a reference to \placefigure:
>
> \placefigure[anapler1]{text ...}[anapler]
>
> and
>
> (\in{Abb.}[anapler1]
>
> Same result, i.e. ??
>
> I then thought that maybe, although this seems unlikely, "[fig:..] is
> needed, as in the examples in the manuals. I replaced the reference with
> [fig:anapler], same result.
>
> As so far practically nothing worked the first time, but I always
> managed to find the error after some time, I kept staring at the manuals
> and my tex file. It didn't help. I hope somebody has the answer.
> Thank you very much, Jörg.
>
> PD Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
> Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
> DKBW, University of Basel
> Mattenstrasse 28
> CH-4058 Basel
> Switzerland
> Phone +41 (0)61 6953049

* Re: reference
@ 2005-05-02 15:46   ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2005-05-02 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for the answers to my problem. When under "\placefigure" I
added [ ] in front of the brackets containing the reference name, it
worked. I thought that if you didn't want to specify anything (such as
"here"), one could leave it out entirely. That shows you the kind of
problems beginners are facing.

I have now finished the first chapter of the textbook, and it Iooks
impressive (to me, that is: Figures, figures and formulas in the
margin, tables etc.). I would like to thank all those who are providing
help in this user group and also those of course who wrote this
wonderful programme in the first place!

On Apr 29, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Matthias Weber wrote:

> Try for instance
>
> \placefigure
> [] % 1st [] argument is for placing options like: here, force
> [anapler] % 2nd [] argument is the label
> {caption}   %1st {} argument is caption
> {\externalfigure[path-tofigurefile][width=3in]}
>
> Then
>

> \in{Abb.}[anapler]
>
> will (hopefully) work.
>
> Matthias
>
> On Apr 29, 2005, at 4:52 AM, Jörg Hagmann wrote:
>
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> I can't figure out how to refer to figures. In the setuparea I have
>> e.g.:
>>
>> \useexternalfigure[anapler][anaplerosis][width=\textwidth]
>>
>> In the body I had:
>>
>> \placefigure{Acetyl-CoA stimuliert die anaplerotische Reaktion
>> etc...}{\externalfigure[anapler]}
>>
>> In the text:
>>
>> (\in{Abb.}[anapler]
>>
>> pdf output gave Abb. ??
>>
>> I then added a reference to \placefigure:
>>
>> \placefigure[anapler1]{text ...}[anapler]
>>
>> and
>>
>> (\in{Abb.}[anapler1]
>>
>> Same result, i.e. ??
>>
>> I then thought that maybe, although this seems unlikely, "[fig:..] is
>> needed, as in the examples in the manuals. I replaced the reference
>> with [fig:anapler], same result.
>>
>> As so far practically nothing worked the first time, but I always
>> managed to find the error after some time, I kept staring at the
>> manuals and my tex file. It didn't help. I hope somebody has the
>> answer.
>> Thank you very much, Jörg.
>>
>> PD Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
>> Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
>> DKBW, University of Basel
>> Mattenstrasse 28
>> CH-4058 Basel
>> Switzerland
>> Phone +41 (0)61 6953049

* Re: reference
@ 2005-05-08 20:53     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-08 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jörg Hagmann wrote:
> Thank you for the answers to my problem. When under "\placefigure" I
> added [ ] in front of the brackets containing the reference name, it
> worked. I thought that if you didn't want to specify anything (such as
> "here"), one could leave it out entirely. That shows you the kind of
> problems beginners are facing.

afaik \placefigure is the only command with this problem: two optional args, one
eing the reference; since there is no way to find out that 'here' or 'left' is a
reference or a placement directive, in the case of a reference, one needs to
provide a location as well

sorry for the confusion

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE