* install help
@ 2005-04-29 16:13 Skip Collins
From: Skip Collins @ 2005-04-29 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am a tex/latex veteran user who would like to start using context to
test the waters on  some small projects. I have a lightly enhanced
texlive 2004 full installation on my fedora linux box. So I already
have a version of context installed. But since I noticed some problems
with mathml output, I thought it might be a good idea to get the
latest and greatest from pragma. This is where things got confusing.
Are there simple instructions somewhere for upgrading context for
texlive in a minimally invasive way? The installation guide at
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/minstall.pdf does not seem
to capture all the necessary steps for getting things working right
with new versions. The sparse instructions at
http://contextgarden.net/Linux_Installation leave me with a
non-functioning context and a corrupted /usr/TeX/texmf tree. Am I
missing something? I downloaded cont-tmf.zip (which should I choose?
current? beta? alpha?) and installed it in ~/texmf. But I ran into
problems with latin modern font names (ec vs. cork). So I installed
the latest lm font distribution in ~/texmf (lots of manual labor).
Then I found that texexec could not find my formats and kept trying to
rebuild cont-en.fmt (using 2005-04-28 alpha). When I run texexec as
root, this problem does not occur(!?). Checking the mailing lists, it
looks like I need to patch texexec. What is the right way to do this?
Currently, I am invoking scripts installed in the texlive bin
directory. I have not replaced them with the updated versions in the
alpha distribution. Do I need to do something like texmfstart --make
and manually move each and every script?

Sorry for rambling. I guess this goes with the territory when living
on the bleeding edge. As you can see, I am in need of some basic
guidance for getting a newish context working properly. I have spent
some time looking for step-by-step instructions, but all I get is more
confused. The contextgarden wiki could be updated with more complete
instructions. I would be happy to help with this if I could only
figure out the correct recipe.

* Re: install help
@ 2005-04-30 13:40 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-04-30 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Skip,

Though I am not a direct Linux user, I might make some suggestions:

It appears that the latest Context versions put the format file into a
/pdftex subdirectory in /web2c. Did you check where the format went
after generating it with texexec --make? In order to have finally a
correctly running Context you should enable \write18 in texmfcnf. Beyond
the language related formats you should generate also the metafun.fmt en
the mptopdf.fmt (Otherwise you can run texexec --make --all).
Humble did you run texhash after installation of the new Context?

Kind regards

Willi

@ 2005-04-30 16:35 ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-04-30 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Skip Collins wrote:

> Sorry for rambling. I guess this goes with the territory when living
> on the bleeding edge. As you can see, I am in need of some basic
> guidance for getting a newish context working properly. I have spent
> some time looking for step-by-step instructions, but all I get is more
> confused. The contextgarden wiki could be updated with more complete
> instructions. I would be happy to help with this if I could only
> figure out the correct recipe.

if you download the latest alpha release, the engine subpath stuff should work;
if not, run:

ctxtools --make --all        (ruby script)

and process your document with:

texexec --pdf yourfile.tex   (perl script)

there is also a rather up to date minimal context for linux on the website

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE