From: h h extern <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: TEXMFMAIN problem in gwTeX (font installation)
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 09:41:40 +0200	[thread overview]

Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2005, at 15:03, Ville Voipio wrote (on the ConTeX list, but
> this also is interesting for all gwTeX users):
>
>> I have spent some very interesting time trying to install the TeXlive
>> fonts by using texfont type-tmf.dat. What happened was that a lot of
>> complaints about "unknown subpath ../afm/public/urw" were given even
>> though the path should have been there. This is a known problem, has
>> been on several mailing lists, as well.
>>
>> After a lot of thinking it became clear that texfont was really unable
>> to find any font files. By browsing through the texfont.pl, the reason
>> became evident: In gwTeX the root variables are:
>>
>>    TEXMFMAIN = /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf
>>    TEXMFTE = /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex
>>
>> The problem here is that all the TeXlive fonts (and almost everthing
>> else) is really in the TEXMFTE tree.
>>
>> My quick'n'dirty was to make new file type-tmf-gwtex.dat by replacing
>> all occurrences of TEXMFMAIN by TEXMFTE. Running that one in batch
>> mode works fine.
>>
>> Problem solved -- this time. But the solution is not a beautiful one.
>> Could someone suggest something cleaner? Or has this been solved
>> already (I tried googling after the answer without success)?
>

> TEXMFMAIN in TL is now reserved for only the stuff that is directly
> related to the binaries (like the pool files or anything that needs to
> stay in sync - grammar wise - with the binaries and scripts). In TeX
> Live the 'foundation' now lives in .../texmf-dist (TEXMFDIST) and not in
> ../texmf
>
> In gwTeX, there are a few foundation trees: TEXMFTE for the teTeX tree
> and TEXMFGW for my additions
>
> I think it is a simplification by texfont that it has a hardwired
> location. TeX is not set up that way. Probably the correct solution is
> for texfont itself to act in a more dynamic way, e.g. by trying to
> locate with kpsewhich some elements that are supposed to be there
> already and take th eresult of that search as the settin for what it now
> assumes to be hardwired.
>
> In the meantime: your fix is correct.

generated fonts metrics are put in a given path:

if (defined($ENV{TEXMFLOCAL})) {
     $installpath = "TEXMFLOCAL" ;
}

if (defined($ENV{TEXMFFONTS})) {
     $installpath = "TEXMFFONTS" ;
}

if ($installpath eq "") {
     $installpath = "TEXMFLOCAL" ; # redundant
}

and later on

my $fontroot        = "" ; #/usr/people/gwhite/texmf-fonts"

&GetOptions
     "fontroot=s"   => \$fontroot,

and

if ($fontroot eq "")
   { if ($dosish)
       { $fontroot = `kpsewhich -expand-path=\$$installpath` }
     else
       { $fontroot = `kpsewhich -expand-path=\\\$$installpath` }
     chomp $fontroot }

etc etc

I've added texmfdist to the search trees list

my $trees           = 'TEXMFFONTS,TEXMFLOCAL,TEXMFEXTRA,TEXMFMAIN,TEXMFDIST' ;

(not that i use dist: the first thing i do here when i get tex live is merging
the main/dist/doc/extra trees)

btw, it's interesting that when i asked for a texmffonts entry long ago the
argument against was 'we don't want too many trees' but nowadays we have so many
trees that i no longer feel trouble by my own amount:

texmf
texmf-extra
texmf-local
texmf-fonts
texmf-projects
texmf-mswin
texmf-macosx
texmf-linux

etc -)

normally i try to use kpse to locate and report paths, but this is kind of slow
and the kpsewhich interface is not frozen [which is why in more recent scripts i
use a wrapper system around kpse, so in the end such problems may disappear]

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE