From: Ville Voipio <ville.voipio@kpatents.com>
Subject: Re: TEXMFMAIN problem in gwTeX (font installation)
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 14:01:50 +0300	[thread overview]

> generated fonts metrics are put in a given path:

And this is not the problem.

I have to apologise for the bad wording of my previous message. I am not
saying there would be anything wrong with the Perl script. The only
slight annoyance there is the error message, which states:

   "unknown subpath ../fonts/afm/$vendor/$collection"

At least to my eye this seems to refer to the parent directory (..),
whereas it really doesn't. It just says that
something/something/fonts/afm/$vendor/$collection is missing. Full path
in that message would've gotten me to the goal a bit faster.

The problem is really in the font installation script (type-tmf.dat).
There the root (i.e. the source tree for the fonts) is explicitly given
as TEXMFMAIN. And this does not work in gwTeX, because if something is
given, it has to be TEXMFTE.

As a summary:

- texfont.pl is fine
- gwTeX is fine
- type-tmf.dat is not fine, but I really don't know how to reliably fix
it (yes, patching is simple, but then it does not work in other distros)

---

But am I doing something stupid (again)?

I think I have some kind of understanding of the ConTeXt font
mechanisms. However, I am still a bit confused about this mess. So, what
is the easy, standard, newbie way to install the TeX Live font
collection to be used with ConTeXt? Is it still using the type-tmf.dat
batch file?

- Ville