* ruby
@ 2005-05-11 18:12 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-11 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

when pondering about some ruby to bin for unix and googling a bit, i ran into:

	http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/ruby.html

amazing stuff, not only rubyscript2exe (cross platform)!

Hans

(ps. until now i used exerb for making a texmfstart bin)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ruby
@ 2005-05-11 19:29 ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-05-11 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen, May 11:

> when pondering about some ruby to bin for unix …

Why would you want to do that?,
        nikolai

* Re: ruby
@ 2005-05-11 21:54   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-11 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> Hans Hagen, May 11:
>

>>when pondering about some ruby to bin for unix …
>

> Why would you want to do that?,

because ruby is not always installed (for some reason distribution do install
tons of useless games and all kind of progs whose name i instantly forget, but
no forget to install a recent ruby -); it's also handy when one runs from cd

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ruby
@ 2005-05-11 22:10     ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-05-11 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen, May 11:

> > > when pondering about some ruby to bin for unix …

> > Why would you want to do that?

> because ruby is not always installed (for some reason distribution do
> install tons of useless games and all kind of progs whose name i
> instantly forget, but no forget to install a recent ruby -); it's also
> handy when one runs from cd

Hm, true,
        nikolai

* Re: ruby
@ 2005-05-12  6:02 ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-05-12  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when pondering about some ruby to bin for unix and googling a bit,

A little off-topic: why ruby and not python ?

> i ran into:
>
>     http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/ruby.html
>
> amazing stuff, not only rubyscript2exe (cross platform)!

bookmarked

luigi

* Re: ruby
@ 2005-05-12  7:01   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-12  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi.scarso wrote:

> A little off-topic: why ruby and not python ?

- i didn't like those tabs/indentation
- ruby's reminded me of modula which i used a (real) lot in the past
- ruby has a small footprint
- i just like it

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Fill pdf forms
@ 2005-05-12  9:48     ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-05-12  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looking for some stuff do manage pdf forms,I found this

http://search.cpan.org/~clotho/CAM-PDF-0.99/

From
http://search.cpan.org/src/CLOTHO/CAM-PDF-0.99/index.html

"CAM::PDF is optimized for reading and manipulating existing PDF documents.

We use CAM::PDF in production Linux environments to customize template
PDF documents that were often created by non-programmers using standard
tools."

In standard distro there are already fdf2tan.pl  and fdf2tex.pl, and
after reading spec-fdf  I don't understand if they work
( running fdf2tan.pl gives
! Undefined control sequence.
<recently read> \annotatepages ).

luigi

* Re: ruby, Lua, Megapost, tcl, ...
@ 2005-09-19  6:25     ` Maurice Diamantini
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Maurice Diamantini @ 2005-09-19  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini

Le 12 mai 05 à 09:01, Hans Hagen a écrit :

> luigi.scarso wrote:
>> A little off-topic: why ruby and not python ?
>
> - i didn't like those tabs/indentation
> - ruby's reminded me of modula which i used a (real) lot in the past
> - ruby has a small footprint
> - i just like it
>
> Hans

I agree with the previous points.
Also ruby is available in most of the operating systems
but ...

then Giuseppe Bilotta wrote (~ 18 sept 2005)

> Perl, Ruby, Lua ... what next?

What about Lua, Adding one more dependency to ConTeXt make it
more difficult to install and maintain.
So what is the advantage of luo in conTeXt instead of ruby?

-- Maurice

* Re: ruby, Lua, Megapost, tcl, ...
@ 2005-09-19  7:53       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-19  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini

Maurice Diamantini wrote:

> What about Lua, Adding one more dependency to ConTeXt make it
> more difficult to install and maintain.
> So what is the advantage of luo in conTeXt instead of ruby?

perl, python, ruby are 'huge', and distributing them with tex is a problem; lua is 'made for embedding' and adds less that 100k to the binary: lean and mean; i love ruby, but it's a big machinery.

Anyway, once we have lua in place, there will also be an api to tex's internals; when that is done, interfacing to ruby should be no problem. Maybe our next project will then be a

  .tex (dot tex)

framework -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ruby, Lua, Megapost, tcl, ...
@ 2005-09-19  8:11       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-19  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maurice Diamantini wrote:

> What about Lua, Adding one more dependency to ConTeXt make it
> more difficult to install and maintain.

btw, it's not a dependency: lua will be 'always pesent in the binary'
and since we nowadays only have one binary ... also, my guess is that
adding it to aleph is easy

ok, secret link: http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/luatex.pdf

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ruby, Lua, Megapost, tcl, ...
@ 2005-09-19  8:16       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-19  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini

Hi Maurice,

Maurice Diamantini wrote:

> What about Lua, Adding one more dependency to ConTeXt make it
> more difficult to install and maintain.
> So what is the advantage of luo in conTeXt instead of ruby?

Lua will not be 'in context', but 'in pdftex': the lua library
will be integrated in the executable, as a true extension language
that can be used besides and interleaved with TeX's normal syntax.

Lua is probably the best language for this sort thing, because
its code is small and very easy to extend/embed.

On the user side of things, nothing will change compared to the
current 'update  your pdftex release' stuff. Using LuaTeX will
eventually probably mean extra functionality, but the most likely
sort-term result is a gain in processing speed, because the in-line
scripting can reduce the number of needed TeX runs.

Greetings,

Taco

* Re: ruby, Lua, Megapost, tcl, ...
@ 2005-09-19  8:22         ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-09-19  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> btw, it's not a dependency: lua will be 'always pesent in the binary'
> and since we nowadays only have one binary ... also, my guess is that
> adding it to aleph is easy
>
> ok, secret link: http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/luatex.pdf

FANTASTIC!! It's what I want.

I always think about embedding python; but now  this can be a
private project .

luigi