* RE: prevent hyphenation
@ 2005-05-20  3:32 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-20  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

Hi Peter
>===== Original Message From Peter <peter@orgelvlaardingen.nl> =====
>I'm typesetting a text with some citations in nineteenth-century Dutch
>and French, in which I don't want hyphenation. How can this be done?
>
>I now have two macros:
>\def\stophyph{\pretolerance=15000\tolerance=400}
>\def\starthyph{\pretolerance=200\tolerance=400}
>
>At the beginning of every citation I enter \stophyph{} and at the end
>\starthyph{}. But the cited words are still hyphenated.

Here is a better approach:

\setupoutput[pdftex]%

\installlanguage[NH][lefthyphenmin=100,righthyphenmin=100]

\starttext

\language[NH]

\input knuth

\language[en]

\input knuth

\stoptext

Even better, take the definition of [nl] in type-ger.tex and add it to
\installlanguage[NH].

Hans: the following would be nice to have:

\setuplanguage[<name>][hyphenation=off]

>Putting single words in a mbox also doesn't help... ;(

mbox?!? Dost thou blaspheme!?!
:-)

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* prevent hyphenation
@ 2005-05-20  1:09 Peter
From: Peter @ 2005-05-20  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I'm typesetting a text with some citations in nineteenth-century Dutch
and French, in which I don't want hyphenation. How can this be done?

I now have two macros:
\def\stophyph{\pretolerance=15000\tolerance=400}
\def\starthyph{\pretolerance=200\tolerance=400}

At the beginning of every citation I enter \stophyph{} and at the end
\starthyph{}. But the cited words are still hyphenated.

Putting single words in a mbox also doesn't help... ;(

Tanks in advance,
Peter van Kranenburg