* place for feature requests / todo list
@ 2005-05-28 13:08 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-05-28 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

is there already some place, where feature requests are collected and/or a
todo list?  Perhaps something like bugzilla but simpler?
If not, what do you think about a page on the wiki?

TIA for your opinions, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: place for feature requests / todo list
@ 2005-05-28 16:19 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-05-28 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

ATM, the best place to discuss wishes is here, on the list.
There is no global wish-list, only the personal todo lists
of the people that have agreed to implement various things
"sometime". The Wiki is just a bit too disorganized, I doubt
any requests posted there would get picked up.

In the past, there has been some talk about putting context
into some sort of repository (gforge/subversion) and using
the associated tracking features, but when/if this will happen
is not clear.

The portal effort by Michael Guravage appears to be abandoned.

Greetings, Taco

@ 2005-05-29  9:03   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-05-29  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> ATM, the best place to discuss wishes is here, on the list.

Hello Taco,
the problem with the list is, that often you don't really know at the end
of a thread, what is going to be done or not.
Just as an example, there has been a discussion¹ about repeated footers in
TABLE, but at the end I don't know, if it's possible or not.

Perhaps, a table like this (just an example) would be nice somewhere:

Feature request                    Comment
repeated footers in TABLE          not possible

documentation for linetable        scheduled for 2007

support for urw-garamond           can be done by any volunteer

xxx                                in next version

yyy                                see elsewhere (link to another page)

> In the past, there has been some talk about putting context
> into some sort of repository (gforge/subversion) and using
> the associated tracking features, but when/if this will happen
> is not clear.

I'm working with subversion and recommend it strongly. Especially for
you, there would be a great advantage: the automatic generation of a
ChangeLog (if the developers comment their commits).

Greetings, Peter

¹ http://archive.contextgarden.net/thread/20050214.163339.2da65c12.html

--

@ 2005-05-29 17:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-29 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there already some place, where feature requests are collected and/or a
> todo list?  Perhaps something like bugzilla but simpler?
> If not, what do you think about a page on the wiki?

sounds ok to me, i leave it to patrick/taco to cook up a(ny) solution since
they are in charge of that

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-05-29 17:32     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-29 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:

> I'm working with subversion and recommend it strongly. Especially for
> you, there would be a great advantage: the automatic generation of a
> ChangeLog (if the developers comment their commits).

i will set up a subversion archive (context/manuals) soon on an internal server
which is accessisble then for dev. (but i'm not sure if i will comment comment
each commit, too busy with other things for that -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-05-29 18:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-29 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> ATM, the best place to discuss wishes is here, on the list.
> There is no global wish-list, only the personal todo lists
> of the people that have agreed to implement various things
> "sometime". The Wiki is just a bit too disorganized, I doubt
> any requests posted there would get picked up.

could be a wiki page; at least that way we collect things

> In the past, there has been some talk about putting context
> into some sort of repository (gforge/subversion) and using
> the associated tracking features, but when/if this will happen
> is not clear.

indeed -)

[i will look into gforce once i've seen it working which will happen soon]

> The portal effort by Michael Guravage appears to be abandoned.

indeed ... in the struggle for live the wiki won the game

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-05-30  9:13   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-05-30  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Münster wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> is there already some place, where feature requests are collected
>> and/or a
>> todo list?  Perhaps something like bugzilla but simpler?
>> If not, what do you think about a page on the wiki?
>
> sounds ok to me, i leave it to patrick/taco to cook up a(ny) solution
> since they are in charge of that

We are discussing this now, and hope to come up with a solution soon.

Taco

* Re: place for feature requests / todo list
@ 2005-05-30 19:40       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-05-30 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 May 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Peter Münster wrote:
>
> > I'm working with subversion and recommend it strongly. Especially for
> > you, there would be a great advantage: the automatic generation of a
> > ChangeLog (if the developers comment their commits).
>
> i will set up a subversion archive (context/manuals) soon on an internal
> server which is accessisble then for dev. (but i'm not sure if i will
> comment comment each commit, too busy with other things for that -)

Hello Hans,
3 or 4 words are often enough and very very useful when tracing the logs.
For example:
- speed-up with \setupXXX
- bug-fix with texexec-enginepath
- new file core-xxx.tex