* Chinese in ConTeXt
@ 2005-05-29  8:49 Xiao Jianfeng
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-05-29  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I started to use ConTeXt several weeks ago, and I like it very much  :-)

I met some problems when I tried to use Chinese in ConTeXt. I have tried
to setup Chinese fonts according to the manual "Chinese in ConTeXt"
(mchinese.pdf) which seems a little out-of-date. In the manual, programs
  gbpfb/chpfb, and gbenc are used to perpare the Chinese fonts. But, I
chpfb is not shipped with trubolinux anymore . I have googled and
couldn't  find these programs on the internet.

Do someone have some experience of how to setup Chinese in ConTeXt?

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes.

Xiaojf

* RE: Chinese in ConTeXt
@ 2005-05-29 10:53 ` Michael Hallgren
From: Michael Hallgren @ 2005-05-29 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes. Your proposal or question???

Cheers,

mh

* Re: Chinese in ConTeXt
@ 2005-05-29 18:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-29 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xiao Jianfeng wrote:
> I started to use ConTeXt several weeks ago, and I like it very much  :-)
>
> I met some problems when I tried to use Chinese in ConTeXt. I have tried
> to setup Chinese fonts according to the manual "Chinese in ConTeXt"
> (mchinese.pdf) which seems a little out-of-date. In the manual, programs
>  gbpfb/chpfb, and gbenc are used to perpare the Chinese fonts. But, I
> chpfb is not shipped with trubolinux anymore . I have googled and
> couldn't  find these programs on the internet.
>
> Do someone have some experience of how to setup Chinese in ConTeXt?

there are users on this list, also,

   Hong Feng <fred@mail.rons.net.cn>

does the chinese user group have an archive with those tools and fonts?

of the chinese user group is an able context user so he may be of help.

We need to fix the manual! Suggestions are welcome.

btw, there will be tutorials at the tex ocnference in china

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Chinese in ConTeXt
@ 2005-05-30  1:20   ` Xiao Jianfeng
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-05-30  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot and I will try to contact Hong Feng :-)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Xiao Jianfeng wrote:
>
>> I started to use ConTeXt several weeks ago, and I like it very much  :-)
>>
>> I met some problems when I tried to use Chinese in ConTeXt. I have
>> tried to setup Chinese fonts according to the manual "Chinese in
>> ConTeXt" (mchinese.pdf) which seems a little out-of-date. In the
>> manual, programs  gbpfb/chpfb, and gbenc are used to perpare the
>> Chinese fonts. But, I chpfb is not shipped with trubolinux anymore . I
>> have googled and couldn't  find these programs on the internet.
>>
>> Do someone have some experience of how to setup Chinese in ConTeXt?
>

> there are users on this list, also,
>
>   Hong Feng <fred@mail.rons.net.cn>
>
> does the chinese user group have an archive with those tools and fonts?
>
> of the chinese user group is an able context user so he may be of help.
>
> We need to fix the manual! Suggestions are welcome.
>
> btw, there will be tutorials at the tex ocnference in china
>
> Hans

* Re: Chinese in ConTeXt
@ 2005-05-30  4:43     ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2005-05-30  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jianfeng, Hi Hans,

because i had the same Problem some time ago i prepared
two PerlScripts for converting Unicode TrueType fonts
to suitable bunches of Type 1 fonts for use in ConTeXt
in big5 and gbk encoding.

I sent the scripts to Hans. He perhaps wanted to include
them into texexec.pl if possible. If you use Windows
or can use Windows i can send you the scripts.
(they work with a particular version of ttf2pfb.exe only)

B.t.w. for the use of the fonts described in font-chi.tex you
will need only some files you can download from
ftp.ctex.org. (If you like i can send you these files too)

Xiao Jianfeng schrieb:
> Thanks a lot and I will try to contact Hong Feng :-)
>
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Xiao Jianfeng wrote:
>>
>>> I started to use ConTeXt several weeks ago, and I like it very much  :-)
>>>
>>> I met some problems when I tried to use Chinese in ConTeXt. I have
>>> tried to setup Chinese fonts according to the manual "Chinese in
>>> ConTeXt" (mchinese.pdf) which seems a little out-of-date. In the
>>> manual, programs  gbpfb/chpfb, and gbenc are used to perpare the
>>> Chinese fonts. But, I chpfb is not shipped with trubolinux anymore .
>>> I have googled and couldn't  find these programs on the internet.
>>>
>>> Do someone have some experience of how to setup Chinese in ConTeXt?
>>

>> there are users on this list, also,
>>
>>   Hong Feng <fred@mail.rons.net.cn>
>>
>> does the chinese user group have an archive with those tools and fonts?
>>
>> of the chinese user group is an able context user so he may be of help.
>>
>> We need to fix the manual! Suggestions are welcome.
>>
>> btw, there will be tutorials at the tex ocnference in china
>>
>> Hans

* Re: Chinese in ConTeXt
@ 2005-05-30  5:09       ` Xiao Jianfeng
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-05-30  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Lutz,

Thanks for your reply.

I am use the minimal CONTEXT distribution on windows
(http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/mswintex.zip), will you
please send me a copy of your scripts ? Thanks again!

Xiao Jianfeng

@ 2005-05-30  5:25       ` Xiao Jianfeng
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-05-30  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lutz Haseloff wrote:
> Hi Jianfeng, Hi Hans,
>
> because i had the same Problem some time ago i prepared
> two PerlScripts for converting Unicode TrueType fonts
> to suitable bunches of Type 1 fonts for use in ConTeXt
> in big5 and gbk encoding.
>
> I sent the scripts to Hans. He perhaps wanted to include
> them into texexec.pl if possible. If you use Windows
> or can use Windows i can send you the scripts.
> (they work with a particular version of ttf2pfb.exe only)
>
> B.t.w. for the use of the fonts described in font-chi.tex you
> will need only some files you can download from
> ftp.ctex.org. (If you like i can send you these files too)

After a search via google, i found the following article posted on 2002
(http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2002/000636.html). I don't know
if it works or not, but i will have a try. I think it may be helpful to
people who have similar problems, so i just post the article here again:

[NTG-context] chinese font setup
Michael Na Li ntg-context@ntg.nl
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:03:52 -0800

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Matthew Huggett told this:

 >  A few weeks back, there was a short exchange on this list regarding
 >  utilities for preparing chinese fonts for ConTeXt.  One of the postings
 >  provided a link to some new utilities.  I've since downloaded the file
 >  there (gbkfonts-linux-0.2.tar.gz) but am unsure as to how to
proceed.  If
 >  anyone with experience in this area could provide some advice, I'd
 >  appreciate it.

Have you got any Chinese fonts that work for ConTeXt?  If not, you can try,
ftp.ctex.org to get some fonts.  There is no need to use gbkfonts.

For simplified chinese, you can,

1. Get the truetype fonts, htfs.ttf, hthei.ttf, htkai.ttf and htsong.ttf
from
    ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/ttf/.

2. Get corresponding tfm file, gbfs.zip, gbhei.zip, gbkai.zip and gbsong.zip
    from ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/tfm.

3. Get the enc file, Gbk.zip from
    ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/enc_map.

4. Get the map file, map.zip, from above location.

Then read the mchinese.pdf, put those files in the right location and
you can
then process Chinese in context (to produce pdf file).

The above procedure works because those fonts have already been defined in
font-chi.tex.

However, I have trouble installing new Chinese fonts.  I got fzhcjw.ttf,
ran 'gbkfonts -name fzhc -prefix gbk fzhcjw.ttf fzhc' which resulted in
the tfm, enc and map files, as well as pfb for use with dvips.  It also
generated a fd file for use with LaTeX.  I can then use the font with
CJK-LaTeX.  But I can't use it in ConTeXt.  I tried,

\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoRegular] [gbkfzhc]
[encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoSlanted] [gbkfzhcsl]
[encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoItalic]  [gbkfzhcsl]
[encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoBold]    [gbkfzhc]
[encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym
[SimplifiedChineseHangCaoBoldSlanted][gbkfzhcsl][encoding=gbk
]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoBoldItalic]
[gbkfzhcsl][encoding=gbk
]
\defineunicodefont [SimHangCao]  [SimplifiedChineseHangCao] [chinese]

Then when I tried to use \SimHangCao I was told that it is undefined
command.
The other fonts in the font-chi file, such as \SimFangSong etc, do work.

Any suggestions?

Michael

Michael Na Li
Email: lina@u.washington.edu
Department of Biostatistics, Box 357232
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

* Re: Chinese in ConTeXt
@ 2005-05-31  5:21         ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2005-05-31  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, Hi all,

Xiao Jianfeng schrieb:
> Lutz Haseloff wrote:
>
>> Hi Jianfeng, Hi Hans,
>>
>> because i had the same Problem some time ago i prepared
>> two PerlScripts for converting Unicode TrueType fonts
>> to suitable bunches of Type 1 fonts for use in ConTeXt
>> in big5 and gbk encoding.
>>
>> I sent the scripts to Hans. He perhaps wanted to include
>> them into texexec.pl if possible.

My mistake, must read texfont.pl.

b.t.w. I think, \dohandleunicodeflowglyph doesn't handle
some glyphs right. Particularly the glyphs with parenthesis
{} and Backslash.

ConTeXt complains about my qianziwen-Big5.tex:

! Use of \dohandleunicodeflowglyph doesn't match its definition.
<recently read> ¦

\handleunicodeflowglyph ...ttoken \@EA `\string #2
                                                   \relax
l.18 »\¦
         ¹¨­µo¡A¥|¤j¤­±`¡C®¥±©Áù¾i¡A°Z´±·´¶Ë¡C
?

Attached GBK-file works fine.

Is it possible to make \dohandleunicodeflowglyph more robust
to handle those big5 glyphs right?
Or is it my mistake again?

Greetings Lutz

[-- Attachment #2: qianziwen.zip --]

* Re: Chinese in ConTeXt
@ 2005-05-31  7:33           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-31  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lutz Haseloff wrote:

> b.t.w. I think, \dohandleunicodeflowglyph doesn't handle
> some glyphs right. Particularly the glyphs with parenthesis
> {} and Backslash.
>
> ConTeXt complains about my qianziwen-Big5.tex:

> ! Use of \dohandleunicodeflowglyph doesn't match its definition.
> <recently read> ¦
>
> \handleunicodeflowglyph ...ttoken \@EA `\string #2
>                                                   \relax
> l.18 »\¦
>         ¹¨­µo¡A¥|¤j¤­±`¡C®¥±©Áù¾i¡A°Z´±·´¶Ë¡C
> ?
>

> Attached GBK-file works fine.
>
> Is it possible to make \dohandleunicodeflowglyph more robust
> to handle those big5 glyphs right?
> Or is it my mistake again?

i may be wrong (long ago that i made that-) but those file needs some treatment
(esp when one uses arguments)

tex2uc yourfile
texexec yourfile
uc2tex yourfile

actually, since i have a indirect option in texexec (for xml) i can make this
automatic, e.g. when the first line has something

% preprocess=tex2uc

I must think of it; remind me

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: uc2tex.pl --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 773 bytes --]

# ConTeXt uc converter / beta version / 2-12-1999 / don't redistribute

$filename = $ARGV[0] ;
$recoded  = 0 ;

sub unirecoded
  { print chr($_[1]) ; ++$recoded ; return chr($_[0]).chr($_[1]) }

if ((open(INP,"$filename.tex"))&&(open(OUT,">$filename.tmp")))
  { print "processing file $filename.tex " ;
    while (<INP>)
      { s/\\uc\{(\d*)\}\{(\d*)\}/unirecoded($1,$2)/goe ; print OUT $_ }
    close(INP) ;
    close(OUT) ;
    unlink "$filename.tec" ;
    rename "$filename.tex", "$filename.tec" ;
    rename "$filename.tmp", "$filename.tex" ;
    if ($recoded)
      { print " - $recoded glyphs recoded - original saved as $filename.tec\n" }
    else
      { print "- no glyphs recoded\n" } }
else
  { print "invalid filename\n" }

[-- Attachment #3: tex2uc.pl --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1174 bytes --]

# ConTeXt uc converter / beta version / 2-12-1999 / don't redistribute

if ($ARGV[0] ne '')
  { @filenames = @ARGV }
else
  { @filenames = glob "*.tex" }

foreach (@filenames) { s/\.tex$//io }

sub unirecode
  { my ($a,$b) = @_ ;
    if ((ord($b)<0x80)&&($b !~ /[a-zA-Z0-9]/))
      { print "$b" ; ++$recoded ;
        return "\\uc\{" . ord($a) . "\}\{". ord($b) . "\}" }
    else
      { return "$a$b" } }

foreach $filename (@filenames)
 { if (open(INP,"$filename.tex"))
     { $recoded  = 0 ;
       print "processing file $filename.tex " ;
       $/ = "\0777" ;
       $_ = <INP> ;
       close(INP) ;
       s/([\x80-\xFF])(.)/unirecode($1,$2)/mgoe ;
       if (($recoded)&&(open(OUT,">$filename.tmp")))
         { print OUT $_ ;

@ 2005-06-06  8:08 ` Xiao Jianfeng
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-06-06  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xiao Jianfeng wrote:
> I started to use ConTeXt several weeks ago, and I like it very much  :-)
>
> I met some problems when I tried to use Chinese in ConTeXt. I have tried
> to setup Chinese fonts according to the manual "Chinese in ConTeXt"
> (mchinese.pdf) which seems a little out-of-date. In the manual, programs
>  gbpfb/chpfb, and gbenc are used to perpare the Chinese fonts. But, I
> chpfb is not shipped with trubolinux anymore . I have googled and
> couldn't  find these programs on the internet.
>
> Do someone have some experience of how to setup Chinese in ConTeXt?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Xiaojf

Hi, all,

I have solved the problem with help of Lutz and the other people. I must
thanks Lutz, and thanks everyone here :-)

Here is my way of Chinese setup in ConTeXt. I hope this can be of any
help to some newbies like me who have problems in processing Chinese.

1. Get the truetype fonts, htfs.ttf, hthei.ttf, htkai.ttf and htsong.ttf
from
      ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/ttf/

2. Get corresponding tfm file, gbfs.zip, gbhei.zip, gbkai.zip and
gbsong.zip from
      ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/tfm

3. Get the enc file, Gbk.zip from
      ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/enc_map

4. Get the map file, map.zip, from
      ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/enc_map

5. Put the ttf font files you got in step 1 to
texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/chinese

6. Unzip the files you got in step 2 and you get four corresponding
directories(which contain tfm files), then put them  in
texmf-fonts/fonts/tfm/chinese

7. Unzip Gbk.zip, you will get a directory named "Gbk" which contains
many enc files. Put the directory to texmf-fonts/fonts/enc/chinese

8.Unzip map.zip, you will get many map files, you need just the gbk.map.
You need to edit gbk.map, delete entried of gbli at the end of the file
(lines 505-629):
      gbli81 <GBli81.enc <simli.ttf
      gbli82 <GBli82.enc <simli.ttf
      gbli83 <GBli83.enc <simli.ttf
      gbli84 <GBli84.enc <simli.ttf
      gblifd <GBlifd.enc <simli.ttf
      gblife <GBlife.enc <simli.ttf
Then, put the modified gbk.map to texmf-fonts/fonts/map/chinese.
Note that newer pdfetex don't read pdftex.cfg so better use
\loadmapfile[gbk] in your document.

9. Your document should can be compiled now. Attached is a test file
from Lutz, so you can have a test of your ConTeXt.

10. I haven't tried to complie Traditional Chinese documents. Maybe just
get corresponding files for Traditional Chinese and put there to the
right location will work. I'm not sure.

Best wishes.

Xiao Jianfeng

[-- Attachment #2: test.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed, Size: 18413 bytes --]

* Re: Chinese in ConTeXt
@ 2005-06-08 22:54   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-06-08 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.06.2005 um 10:08 schrieb Xiao Jianfeng:
> Here is my way of Chinese setup in ConTeXt. I hope this can be of any
> help to some newbies like me who have problems in processing Chinese.

I just copied that to the wiki.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net

* modules.pdf
@ 2005-06-09  7:18     ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-06-09  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I discover (~8 years later)
http://www.pragma-ade.com/dir/general/sources/modules.pdf

I think it is a useful pdf: Is there any tool to generate it ?

luigi

* modules.pdf
@ 2005-08-19 14:16       ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-08-19 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)