* Fwd: Context question
@ 2005-06-01 18:04 Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-06-01 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone got a solution/approach/example at hand?

From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-06-01 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay wrote:
> Has anyone got a solution/approach/example at hand?

I think so, see manual columns.pdf

vit

* RE: Fwd: Context question
@ 2005-06-02  6:47   ` Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2005-06-02  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:17 PM Vit Zyka wrote:
> Adam Lindsay wrote:
>> Has anyone got a solution/approach/example at hand?

In context---and what is described in columns.pdf---you can get
definitively more complicated layouts than what can be done with LaTeX (a
dream). But the statement that it isn't possible in LaTeX isn't true. The
multicols package by Frank Mittelbach provides a way to switch between
multicolumn layout on the same page. Only the standard LaTeX documentclass
option 'twocolumn' forces that a new page has to begin before changing the
layout. Magazine-like layout of course is better done with context.

Ulrich

* Re: Fwd: Context question
@ 2005-06-02  7:05   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-06-02  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:
> Adam Lindsay wrote:
>
>> Has anyone got a solution/approach/example at hand?

But it is not possible to switch completely automatically, even
without a  mid-paragraph pagebreak, I'm afraid.

If your text is essentially a novella, then you can probably write a
special case macro, but that would be true of LaTeX as well. I don't
think the columnsets have support for automatic (and mid-paragraph)
switching (i could be wrong).

Taco

* Re: Fwd: Context question
@ 2005-06-02  8:14     ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-06-02  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>
>> Adam Lindsay wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone got a solution/approach/example at hand?

I believe that columset mechanism (based on pouring \parshape from
paragraph to paragraph and output routine support) can do it. Even in
the manual is an example. But I share your doubts in case of some
complex pages (floats, margins, marks). But plain text should be OK.

I am curious about the practical experience.
vit