From: Ville Voipio <ville.voipio@kpatents.com>
Subject: Re: PSNFSS in new ConTeXt?
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:59:10 +0300	[thread overview]

> \usetypescript [adobekb][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[pos]

> which used to work before doesn't work neither on my Mac nor at live @
> contextgarden.net.
> How does one access these fonts?
>
> (And sorry for blaming gwTeX for this!)

It is really not Gerben's fault! At some point the pos-typescript has
been deprecated (at least according to the comments in
tex/context/base/type-pre.tex).

However, the typescript file is now enclosed in

\starttypescriptcollection[previous]
\stoptypescriptcollection

These might give you some hint about how to proceed.

---

The more modern way of solving this problem is to forget about the old
pos collection and leverage the user value by embracing the novel
typescript paradigm. (Oops, sorry, my marketing-bs-generator seems to be
breaking in.)

The modern way to get to use the free URW fonts is to run
context/data/type-tmf.dat (or, rather, run texfont and give type-tmf.dat
as a batch file). This will enable using a lot of nice fonts in the URW
collection.

However, there are two gotchas:

1. With gwTeX, running the command

   texfont --encoding=ec --batch type-tmf.dat

at least previously resulted in some errors about unknown files. They
may be fixed with an ugly hack: replace all occurences of TEXMFMAIN by
TEXMFTE in type-tmf.dat.

2. After the fonts are installed, you have the fonts. Nice. But no
typescripts. Not so nice. I have made some typescripts for
Palatino/Helvetica/Courier and SchoolBook/Helvetica/Courier
combinations. There might be something already done in the ConTeXt
distribution, but I have not found anything that useful. (I can Wiki
them if someone finds it useful.)

Good luck!

- Ville