From: Xiao Jianfeng <jfxiao@sibs.ac.cn>
Subject: Re: Chinese in ConTeXt
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:08:42 +0800	[thread overview]

Xiao Jianfeng wrote:
> I started to use ConTeXt several weeks ago, and I like it very much  :-)
>
> I met some problems when I tried to use Chinese in ConTeXt. I have tried
> to setup Chinese fonts according to the manual "Chinese in ConTeXt"
> (mchinese.pdf) which seems a little out-of-date. In the manual, programs
>  gbpfb/chpfb, and gbenc are used to perpare the Chinese fonts. But, I
> chpfb is not shipped with trubolinux anymore . I have googled and
> couldn't  find these programs on the internet.
>
> Do someone have some experience of how to setup Chinese in ConTeXt?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Xiaojf

Hi, all,

I have solved the problem with help of Lutz and the other people. I must
thanks Lutz, and thanks everyone here :-)

Here is my way of Chinese setup in ConTeXt. I hope this can be of any
help to some newbies like me who have problems in processing Chinese.

1. Get the truetype fonts, htfs.ttf, hthei.ttf, htkai.ttf and htsong.ttf
from
      ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/ttf/

2. Get corresponding tfm file, gbfs.zip, gbhei.zip, gbkai.zip and
gbsong.zip from
      ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/tfm

3. Get the enc file, Gbk.zip from
      ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/enc_map

4. Get the map file, map.zip, from
      ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/enc_map

5. Put the ttf font files you got in step 1 to
texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/chinese

6. Unzip the files you got in step 2 and you get four corresponding
directories(which contain tfm files), then put them  in
texmf-fonts/fonts/tfm/chinese

7. Unzip Gbk.zip, you will get a directory named "Gbk" which contains
many enc files. Put the directory to texmf-fonts/fonts/enc/chinese

8.Unzip map.zip, you will get many map files, you need just the gbk.map.
You need to edit gbk.map, delete entried of gbli at the end of the file
(lines 505-629):
      gbli81 <GBli81.enc <simli.ttf
      gbli82 <GBli82.enc <simli.ttf
      gbli83 <GBli83.enc <simli.ttf
      gbli84 <GBli84.enc <simli.ttf
      gblifd <GBlifd.enc <simli.ttf
      gblife <GBlife.enc <simli.ttf
Then, put the modified gbk.map to texmf-fonts/fonts/map/chinese.
Note that newer pdfetex don't read pdftex.cfg so better use
\loadmapfile[gbk] in your document.

9. Your document should can be compiled now. Attached is a test file
from Lutz, so you can have a test of your ConTeXt.

10. I haven't tried to complie Traditional Chinese documents. Maybe just
get corresponding files for Traditional Chinese and put there to the
right location will work. I'm not sure.

Best wishes.

Xiao Jianfeng