* Re: How do Windows users call texexec etc.
       [not found] <20050610061421.79FAA1280F@ronja.ntg.nl>
@ 2005-06-10  7:39 ` Roef Ragas
From: Roef Ragas @ 2005-06-10  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Thanks to all who responded.
>
>So there seems to be three candidates, Scite, TeXnicenter and
>texmfstart. Does Scite require that the newbie user also install
>and configure Ruby? Or is there an exe available that just runs?
>I am reading the Steve Peter paper which seems to imply that Ruby
>is required.

Just download mswintex.zip from http://www.pragma-ade.nl/download-1.htm
Unzip, make a directory to drop everything into [I just made a
C:\Context], and make a link to
C:\Context\cstart.bat on your desktop: ready to go.
This Scite-version is very well integrated with Context. Building is
just a click [F7] away, Acrobat pops up automatically, etc.
Don't know if you have to install Perl, I already had that.

Good luck,

__________________
www.roefragas.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Re: How do Windows users call texexec etc.
@ 2005-06-10 21:04     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-06-10 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

AFAIK you need to install Ruby and Perl.

Cheers Willi

@ 2005-06-10  7:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-06-10  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Willi Egger

John R. Culleton wrote:

> So there seems to be three candidates, Scite, TeXnicenter and
> texmfstart. Does Scite require that the newbie user also install
> and configure Ruby? Or is there an exe available that just runs?
> I am reading the Steve Peter paper which seems to imply that Ruby
> is required.

texmfstart is just the start program for anything the texmf tree

ruby is indeed needed (in the near future texexec and texutil will be replaced
by ruby scripts; the rest of the script si already ruby)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-06-09 21:05 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-06-09 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-06-09 21:02 ` Steve Peter
From: Steve Peter @ 2005-06-09 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 9, 2005, at 11:27 AM, John R. Culleton wrote:

> Specifically I am writing a guide for typesetting beginners. What
> should I tell them is a good way to execute e.g., texexec from a
> Windows environment? Many of them are afraid of the command
> line. My instinct is to describe a Vim command such as
> :!texexec %
> or just give them a script to do that, but there may be a better
> alternative. Thoughts?

You can also have them set up one of the IDEs, like TeXnicCenter, to
do that. See my column for the PracTeX Journal at http://www.tug.org/
pracjourn/2005-2/peter/ for more info.

Steve

* Re: How do Windows users call texexec etc.
@ 2005-06-09 19:58 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-06-09 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:
> I have been using Linux since the days of Win 3.1. So I don't
> know what goes on in the MSWin world any more.
>
> Specifically I am writing a guide for typesetting beginners. What
> should I tell them is a good way to execute e.g., texexec from a
> Windows environment? Many of them are afraid of the command
> line. My instinct is to describe a Vim command such as
> :!texexec %
> or just give them a script to do that, but there may be a better
> alternative. Thoughts?

given that texmfstart.exe is in you binary path (there is a zip on our website,
else you need to install ruby, associate .rb with calling ruby, and use
texmfstart.rb)

   texmfstart texexec ...

you can also run

   texmfstart --make texexec.pl

which will give you a stub 'texexec.bat' which you can then put in your path

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-06-09 19:43   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-06-09 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Willi Egger

--

John Culleton
The answers to all your publishing questions are found

* How do Windows users call texexec etc.
@ 2005-06-09 15:27 John R. Culleton
                   ` (2 more replies)