From: Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu>
Subject: RE: How to cook Garamond
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 09:58:19 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi Peter,

>===== Original Message From Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> =====
>On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>
>> 3. from /temp>, run
>>
>> texfont --ma --in --ve=urw --co=garamond --show
>
>Hello Idris,
>with this command, I get the following error (I'm using teTeX-3.0):
>processing aborted : unknown tex root

There is a unix script in mswincontext.zip that I suppose is also in the tetex
package: setuptex.csh. I don't know how 2 use it (I still live in the Evil
Empire for now-<) but usually I run setuptex.bat before starting the context
utilities; otherwise I get errors like the above.

>Then I tried
>texfont --fontroot=/opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/fonts --ma --in --ve=urw
>--co=garamond --show
>
>This produces the following error:
>(/opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/s-fnt-01.tex)
>kpathsea: Running mktextfm texnansi-ugmm8a
>mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfzzz; mag:=1;
>nonstopmode; input texnansi-ugmm8a
>This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>
>kpathsea: Running mktexmf texnansi-ugmm8a
>! I can't find file `texnansi-ugmm8a'.

I'm not sure, did you texhash (although texfont should have done that for
you)?

Did TeXFont at least install the font for you, before trying to compile the
show file? Check to see if it installed, e.g. the 8 tfms in e.g.
/texmf-fonts/fonts/tfm/urw/garamond

>So I tried step 4:
>
>> 4. If texfont does not work, you will have to do more work-> the zip
package
>> contains tfms etc, and here is a map file you will need:
>
>I installed this mapfile in /opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex/context
>
>> % You need to add the following line to pdftex.cfg:
>> %
>> %   map +texnansi-urw-garamond.map
>> %
>> % Alternatively in your TeX source you can say:
>> %
>> %   \pdf    {+texnansi-urw-garamond.map}
>
>I suppose, you mean \pdfmapfile

Well, I just copied the map file created by texfont;-)

<snip>

>Perhaps I have to rename the tfm files?

Yes, I just checked the garamond distribution; you will have to rename them.
Not only that, but texfont creates 8 tfm files (four raw and four virtual
fonts I presume):

texnansi-raw-ugmm8a.tfm, etc

texnansi-ugmm8a.tfm, etc

So step four is really a nightmare, I should have actually tried it before
recommending it, sorry..

<snip>

>Do you have any idea, what could be wrong on my system?

Ciro uses teTeX and got this to work; maybe he has some idea. My own
suggestion is to make sure you are using the latest context tetex distribution
(3-16-05 last I checked), setuptex.csh, hash, and get texfont working.

Sorry I cannot be of more help...

Best
Idris

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid