* Problems with the pscyr font package
@ 2005-06-13 10:37 Radhelorn
From: Radhelorn @ 2005-06-13 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All!
I'm fresh ConTeXt user, trying to move from LaTeX. And I have several
problems with fonts in ConTeXt 2005.06.07 (teTeX-3.0).

First of all: pscyr. It's a cyrillic type1 font package which works
perfectly in LaTeX, but in Plain TeX and ConTeXt whitespaces between
words disappear.

My input files:
Test font.
\font\myfont=fcori6a
\myfont
Test of font. Some text to test it.
\bye

and ConTeXt:

\mainlanguage[ru]
\useregime[cyr]
\enableregime[koi8-r]

\definefontsynonym[somefont][fcori6a][encoding=t2a]
\definefont[myfont][somefont]

\starttext
Test of text.
\myfont
Test of PSCyr text.
\stoptext

What I'm doing wrong?

--
Radhelorn <radhelorn@mail.ru>

* Re: Problems with the pscyr font package
@ 2005-06-13 11:01 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-06-13 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Radhelorn wrote:
> Hello All!
> I'm fresh ConTeXt user, trying to move from LaTeX. And I have several
> problems with fonts in ConTeXt 2005.06.07 (teTeX-3.0).
>
> First of all: pscyr. It's a cyrillic type1 font package which works
> perfectly in LaTeX, but in Plain TeX and ConTeXt whitespaces between
> words disappear.

I can't find any LaTeX package on CTAN except as a BaKoMa install
package, and my system teTeX does not have 'fcori6a.tfm'. Under
those circumstances, it becomes quite hard to help you with your
problem. There may be a clue buried in the latex support macros ?

Taco

* Re: Problems with the pscyr font package
@ 2005-06-13 12:44   ` Radhelorn
From: Radhelorn @ 2005-06-13 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Radhelorn wrote:
>
>> Hello All!
>> I'm fresh ConTeXt user, trying to move from LaTeX. And I have several
>> problems with fonts in ConTeXt 2005.06.07 (teTeX-3.0).
>>
>> First of all: pscyr. It's a cyrillic type1 font package which works
>> perfectly in LaTeX, but in Plain TeX and ConTeXt whitespaces between
>> words disappear.
>

> I can't find any LaTeX package on CTAN except as a BaKoMa install
> package, and my system teTeX does not have 'fcori6a.tfm'. Under
> those circumstances, it becomes quite hard to help you with your
> problem. There may be a clue buried in the latex support macros ?

Well, I've already looked at this. AFAIK no magic there:
from tex/latex/pscyr/pscyr.sty:

\def\codefault{fco}
\DeclareRobustCommand\cofamily
         {\not@math@alphabet\rmfamily\mathrm
          \fontfamily\codefault\selectfont}
\DeclareTextFontCommand{\textco}{\cofamily}

there is also definition of bold math mode and
\renewcommand{\hbar}{{\mathchar'26\mkern-8.5muh}}

from tex/latex/pscyr/t2afco.fd:

\DeclareFontFamily{T2A}{fco}{}
\DeclareFontShape{T2A}{fco}{m}{it}{<-> fcori6t}{}

from fonts/map/dvips/pscyr/pscyr.map:

fcori6a  CollegePSCyr-Italic "T2AEncoding ReEncodeFont" <t2a.enc
      <colle8.pfb

Encoding file fonts/enc/dvips/pscyr/t2a.enc, but pdftex ignores
ReEncodeFont, as stated in documentation.

Hope this helps.

--

@ 2005-06-13 12:47     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-06-13 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Radhelorn wrote:

> \DeclareFontShape{T2A}{fco}{m}{it}{<-> fcori6t}{}

So you should use fcori6t in ConTeXt as well. You are using the
wrong metrics, and that is the cause of the disappearing space.

> Encoding file fonts/enc/dvips/pscyr/t2a.enc, but pdftex ignores
> ReEncodeFont, as stated in documentation.

Pdftx does do the actual re-encoding, it just ignores the
supplied string value.

Taco

* Re: Problems with the pscyr font package
@ 2005-06-13 15:13       ` Radhelorn
From: Radhelorn @ 2005-06-13 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> \DeclareFontShape{T2A}{fco}{m}{it}{<-> fcori6t}{}
>
> So you should use fcori6t in ConTeXt as well. You are using the
> wrong metrics, and that is the cause of the disappearing space.

Oh, thank you, I see it now. But how font filename and basename is
resolved from map file if tfm in source and in map file differ? If LaTeX
uses *6t for T2A encoding, but in map file there is only *6a, how it
works? I've reread the docs, but this moment remains unclear.

The *6t tfm's works as expected, I'm just trying to understand what all
this files doing.

>> Encoding file fonts/enc/dvips/pscyr/t2a.enc, but pdftex ignores
>> ReEncodeFont, as stated in documentation.
>
> Pdftx does do the actual re-encoding, it just ignores the
> supplied string value.
>
> Taco

Yes, I figured it out from experiments.

--

@ 2005-06-13 17:38         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-06-13 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Radhelorn wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>> \DeclareFontShape{T2A}{fco}{m}{it}{<-> fcori6t}{}
>>

>> So you should use fcori6t in ConTeXt as well. You are using the
>> wrong metrics, and that is the cause of the disappearing space.
>

> Oh, thank you, I see it now. But how font filename and basename is
> resolved from map file if tfm in source and in map file differ? If LaTeX

This is because of virtual fonts:

   http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=virtualfonts

Taco

* Re: Problems with the pscyr font package
@ 2005-06-13 17:40         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-06-13 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-06-14  3:16           ` Radhelorn
From: Radhelorn @ 2005-06-14  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Radhelorn wrote:

>>> So you should use fcori6t in ConTeXt as well. You are using the
>>> wrong metrics, and that is the cause of the disappearing space.
>>

>> Oh, thank you, I see it now. But how font filename and basename is
>> resolved from map file if tfm in source and in map file differ? If LaTeX
>

> This is because of virtual fonts:

Thanks, this explains the situation. Is there a command to trace font

@ 2005-06-14  6:29             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-06-14  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Radhelorn wrote:

> Thanks, this explains the situation. Is there a command to trace font

Nothing that would help you understand it better, I'm afraid. There is
a way to trace file opne/file close in the search library,  but you
have to be an expert to understand the output of that I'm afraid.

Taco

* Re: Problems with the pscyr font package
@ 2005-06-14 12:18               ` Radhelorn
From: Radhelorn @ 2005-06-14 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> Thanks, this explains the situation. Is there a command to trace font
>

> Nothing that would help you understand it better, I'm afraid. There is
> a way to trace file opne/file close in the search library,  but you
> have to be an expert to understand the output of that I'm afraid.
>
> Taco

Thank you for the explanation. Now I make typescript file for the
package and have some problems with math, but I will try to get through
this myself.

--
Radhelorn <radhelorn@mail.ru>