* Re: I need some advices/guidelines before start writing my PhD thesis
@ 2005-06-20 16:52 Alexandra Ribeiro
From: Alexandra Ribeiro @ 2005-06-20 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi to all,

Thank you to all of you. I really appreciated your opinions/advices. I'll give Context a try. I've already installed the minimal distribution (for MS Windows XP) from the Pragma site and printed the beginners' manual.

At the beginning, I'm sure that I'll post some silly questions. Be patient please!

I've another question. What is the best way to deal with a big document in Context, to save each chapter in a single file and at the end include them in a "main document", or is there a better way?

Best regards,

Alexandra

* Re: Re: I need some advices/guidelines before start writing my PhD thesis
@ 2005-06-20 17:41 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-06-20 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexandra Ribeiro wrote:
> I've another question. What is the best way to deal with a big document in Context, to save each chapter in a single file and at the end include them in a "main document", or is there a better way?

It's no problem to keep everything in one document, but I like to split
the file so that I can search easier (and some other advantages). Apart
from that you can simply comment out the whole chapter at once if you
use multiple files by simply commenting out the line
	% \input ch03-aliens
in the main document for example.

Besides that - ConTeXt is pretty slow. If you have a document with 300
pages, lots of graphics, ... and you only have to try out different
parameters to fine-tune typesetting of one specific table, paragraph or
figure, than it is easier to compile and show just a couple of pages
than all of them at once.

I usually use one file for style, one main file, multiple files (for
example one per chapter) for content and another portion of files for
figures. But it's all a matter of taste. ConTeXt doesn't really care
about it.

See chapter 2 in cont-eni.pdf.

Mojca

* Re: Re: I need some advices/guidelines before start writing my PhD thesis
@ 2005-06-20 17:47 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-06-20 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alexandra,

welcome to the gang!

Do not worry, there are no silly questions, may be silly answers though!

I would suggest to setup a project structure for your thesis. This makes
it possible to structure the whole thing and gives you the possibility
to compile also parts of the thesis which still will contain the general
features of the whole.

Kind regards Willi