From: Duncan Hothersall <dh@capdm.com>
Subject: Re: <mtext> UTF further problems
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:43:30 +0100	[thread overview]

Thank you for your patience Jim.

> Try this at a shell prompt:
>
>     env LANG=C LC_ALL=C cat --show-all FileName
>
> where FileName is the file in question. The non-ascii characters will
> be output as strings that look M-? where ? is a single ascii character.
> If you see a single M-? triplet in place of each non-ascii character
> you do not have utf-8. If you see between two and five such triplets
> for each non-ascii character in the document it is probably utf-8.
> (If you see ^@ pairs separating the ascii chars you have utf-16.)

Okay, this gives me some comfort as it seems to confirm that I do have
UTF-8 as I thought. I'm seeing twos, threes and fours of the triplets
you describe, and no evidence of high-ascii single chars nor of ^@. So
I'm pretty sure it is UTF-8. Thanks for this.

> I've only tested on tetex-3. That may make a difference....

I think maybe it does. Is there anyone who is running the *minimal
install* (from Hans' zip files) on either windows or linux who could
test this for me? I just need you to try out a unicode accented
character within an <mtext> element inside MathML. Here's my template
again - put an unicode accented char where 'HERE' appears:

\useXMLfilter[utf]\usemodule[mathml]
\starttext\startXMLdata
\stopXMLdata\stoptext

> You may want to give TeX-Live a test.

It's usually my first port of call, but AFAIK it's not possible to
control the way the web browser re-encodes stuff before it is submitted,
so the results are not reliable. This is a real shame - TeX-Live is how
I usually confirm all my queries.

Thanks again Jim; can anyone running the minimal install help me?

Duncan