* RE: alignment issues
@ 2005-05-09 15:42 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-09 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

In addition to [flushright] and [flushleft], would it be possible to add
support for the options [raggedright] and [raggedleft] (equivalent to the
default [right] and [left] respectively)? This would add useful symmetry to
the alignment options, and is easy to remember-)

Thnx 4 all your help (Otared too!) and
Best
Idris

>===== Original Message From Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> =====
>> \startalignment[right] bla bla bla \stopalignment
>
>You can use
>
>   \startalignment[flushleft] bla bla bla \stopalignment
>
>instead

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: alignment issues
@ 2005-05-09  7:02   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-05-09  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> \startalignment[right] bla bla bla \stopalignment

You can use

   \startalignment[flushleft] bla bla bla \stopalignment

instead

Taco

* Re: alignment issues
@ 2005-05-09  6:35 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2005-05-09  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 21:16 -0600 8/05/05, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

>The options to \start-\stopalignment are inconsistent and, in my view,
>contrary to common sense-).

Hi Idris,

This issue has been discussed several times on this list (see the
WiKi): in Hans' view

\startalignment[right] bla bla bla \stopalignment

is equivalent to the "Plain" TeX command \raggedright (and "logically",
\startalignment[left] bla bla bla \stopalignment
is equivalent to \raggedleft).

Probably, now it is too late to change things... (although one may
always redefine locally those commands).

Best regards: OK

* alignment issues
@ 2005-05-09  3:16 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-09  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear cartel,

Two problems (annoyances?) with alignment,:

PROBLEM 1: \startalignment[left] creates a spurious underfull hbox:

=======================
% output=pdf interface=en

\starttext

\startalignment[left]

This is a test of alignment.

\stopalignment

\stoptext
=======================

log:

=======================
Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 7--8
 []\*12ptrmtf* This is a test of align-ment.

\hbox(8.26648+2.33331)x426.78743, glue set 12.00853
.\glue(\leftskip) 0.0 plus 24.0
.\hbox(0.0+0.0)x0.0
.\*12ptrmtf* T
.\*12ptrmtf* h
.\*12ptrmtf* i
.etc.
=======================

The other three alignments (see below) do not have this problem;

PROBLEM 2: I think this may have came up a couple of years ago as well, don't
remember if there was ever a resolution...

The options to \start-\stopalignment are inconsistent and, in my view,
contrary to common sense-). Try

=======================
% output=pdf interface=en

\starttext

\rightaligned{This is a test of right alignment.}

\startalignment[right]

This is a test of right alignment.

\stopalignment

\blank[big]

\leftaligned{This is a test of left alignment.}

\startalignment[left]

This is a test of left alignment.

\stopalignment

\stoptext
=======================

\startalignment[right] does the opposite of \rightaligned; ditto for
\startalignment[right] and \leftaligned.
\rightaligned and \leftaligned are correct in my view.

Aside: As ConTeXt develops bidi support, we need alternatives to [left] and
[right] anyway. But it is still apparently inconsistent as it stands (with
emphasis on `apparently' since I am missing/have forgotten the point of why
things behave like this).

Best
Idris