* columnset balancing
@ 2005-06-26 12:39 Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-06-26 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

appologize my boring again with the same question about columnset
balancing. But I would like to know what is the current stage of this
feature. Seeing the code it seems to me some work in this direction was
done but due to very complex and tricky stuff I am not able to
recognize, how far from the goal it is.

Actually, what is my goal design?
+ two column layout
+ float spanning one or two columns
(both perfectly fullfilled by columnsets)
- each chapter head spans two columns
(it assumes stop columns, balancing, continuing on the same page without
pagebreak, put chapter head, start columnset on the rest of the page)

It is feasible or I will have to abjured this idea?

Thank you for your responce in advance.
Vit

From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-06-27  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote
:
> - each chapter head spans two columns
> (it assumes stop columns, balancing, continuing on the same page without
> pagebreak, put chapter head, start columnset on the rest of the page)

you can do that with 'manual balancing'

> It is feasible or I will have to abjured this idea?

the problem with automated balancing in this model is that it's near to
impossible (never say never with tex, but its definitely messsy code) to combine
this with the advanced float and area placement features; so, your flow will be:

- typeset article
- determine balance requirements
- setup balancing
- retypeset article
- continue on same page

spanning chapter titles canbe done with areas or column set spans

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: columnset balancing
@ 2005-06-27 11:00   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-06-27 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
 > Vit Zyka wrote
 >
 >> - each chapter head spans two columns
 >> (it assumes stop columns, balancing, continuing on the same page
 >> without pagebreak, put chapter head, start columnset on the rest of
 >> the page)
 >

 > you can do that with 'manual balancing'

Thank you, Hans, for your reply.

I know that with such a complex layout manual adjustment is necessary.
I know about manual balancing. But how to avoid page break after
columnset closing?

>> It is feasible or I will have to abjured this idea?
>
> the problem with automated balancing in this model is that it's near to
> impossible (never say never with tex, but its definitely messsy code) to
> combine this with the advanced float and area placement features; so,
> your flow will be:
>
> - typeset article
> - determine balance requirements
> - setup balancing
> - retypeset article
> - continue on same page

That is the point. How?

> spanning chapter titles canbe done with areas or column set spans

I do not think so, but I can miss something:

column set span:
   a) text flows along the column and can continue bellow the head in
the first col
   b) problem with making span narrower if it appears in the last col

areas: also a)

@ 2005-06-27 11:55     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-06-27 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>  > Vit Zyka wrote
>  >
>  >> - each chapter head spans two columns
>  >> (it assumes stop columns, balancing, continuing on the same page
>  >> without pagebreak, put chapter head, start columnset on the rest of
>  >> the page)
>  >
>  >
>  > you can do that with 'manual balancing'
>
> Thank you, Hans, for your reply.
>
> I know that with such a complex layout manual adjustment is necessary.
> I know about manual balancing. But how to avoid page break after
> columnset closing?
>
>>> It is feasible or I will have to abjured this idea?
>>

>> the problem with automated balancing in this model is that it's near
>> to impossible (never say never with tex, but its definitely messsy
>> code) to combine this with the advanced float and area placement
>> features; so, your flow will be:
>>
>> - typeset article
>> - determine balance requirements
>> - setup balancing
>> - retypeset article
>> - continue on same page
>

> That is the point. How?
% output=pdftex interface=en

\setuplayout[grid=yes] \showgrid \showstruts % gaat nogal fout zonder grid

\setuptolerance[verytolerant]

\definecolumnset [test-1] [n=2]
\definecolumnset [test-2] [n=3]

\starttext

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {2}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\page

\setupcolumnset [test-1] [balance=yes]
\setupcolumnset [test-2] [balance=top]

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][1] [8]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][2][10]

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {2}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\page

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][1] [8]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][2][10]

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][1][19]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][2][18]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][3][19]

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {2}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\page

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][1] [8]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][2][10]

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][1][0]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][2][-2]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][3][0]

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {6}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\page

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][1] [8]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][2][10]

\setupcolumnsetstart[test-2][1][1][20]
\setupcolumnsetstart[test-2][1][2][20]
\setupcolumnsetstart[test-2][1][3][20]

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {2}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\page

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][1] [8]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-1][1][2][10]

\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][1][-20]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][2][-20]
\setupcolumnsetlines[test-2][1][3][-20]

\startcolumnset [test-1] \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\startcolumnset [test-2] \dorecurse {2}{\input ward  \par} \stopcolumnset

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: columnset balancing
@ 2005-06-27 16:25       ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-06-27 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>
>> Hans Hagen wrote:
>>  > Vit Zyka wrote
>>  >
>>  >> - each chapter head spans two columns
>>  >> (it assumes stop columns, balancing, continuing on the same page
>>  >> without pagebreak, put chapter head, start columnset on the rest of
>>  >> the page)
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > you can do that with 'manual balancing'
>>
>> Thank you, Hans, for your reply.
>>
>> I know that with such a complex layout manual adjustment is necessary.
>> I know about manual balancing. But how to avoid page break after
>> columnset closing?

>>> the problem with automated balancing in this model is that it's near
>>> to impossible (never say never with tex, but its definitely messsy
>>> code) to combine this with the advanced float and area placement
>>> features; so, your flow will be:
>>>
>>> - typeset article
>>> - determine balance requirements
>>> - setup balancing
>>> - retypeset article
>>> - continue on same page
>>
>> That is the point. How?
 >
> \setupcolumnset [test-1] [balance=yes]
> \setupcolumnset [test-2] [balance=top]

Excelent! Thank you very much Hans. Now I understand the balance argument.
Vit

P.S. On the last page (7) text from the bottom of the first col
continues on the top and it breaks the grid. But this feature I
(hopefully) will not need.