* RE: more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 23:28 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-10 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Fabrice Popineau

Dear gang,

I just got home, installed the pdfetex binary from xemtex and, presto! problem
solved:-)))

Thank you everyone for coming to my rescue in my latest crisis, especially
Hartmut and Taco for pointing me in the right direction;-) and thank you
Ulrich, Fabrice and Hans.

It's interesting that this issue in my work came up the same day that Fabrice
set up the stuff on the xemtex site. My (very agnostic/atheist) logic
professor*** from grad school would call this "almost a proof for the
existence of God";-)

Best to all and THNX!!
Idris

***John Corcoran, an associate/editor of Tarski and one of the world's very
top logicians

>> The latest mswincontext.zip has an older pdfetex, 1.20; this seems to be
>> the problem. I will get the XemTeX version and test it when I get home
>> this evening.
>
>that version should kern as expected

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* : interlinear
@ 2005-05-10 23:46 ` ediestel
From: ediestel @ 2005-05-10 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

where do I find info for "interlinear texts" with ContexT; I have typeset
a book with LateX, and wonder if ConteXt would give me an advantage ?

Any help appreciated.

Eckhart Diestel

> Dear gang,
>
> I just got home, installed the pdfetex binary from xemtex and, presto!
> problem  solved:-)))
>
> Thank you everyone for coming to my rescue in my latest crisis,
> especially  Hartmut and Taco for pointing me in the right direction;-)
> and thank you  Ulrich, Fabrice and Hans.
>
> It's interesting that this issue in my work came up the same day that
> Fabrice  set up the stuff on the xemtex site. My (very agnostic/atheist)
> logic  professor*** from grad school would call this "almost a proof for
> the  existence of God";-)
>
> Best to all and THNX!!
> Idris
>
> ***John Corcoran, an associate/editor of Tarski and one of the world's
> very  top logicians
>
>>> The latest mswincontext.zip has an older pdfetex, 1.20; this seems to
>>> be the problem. I will get the XemTeX version and test it when I get
>>> home this evening.
>>
>>that version should kern as expected

* Re: more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 20:56       ` Hartmut Henkel
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2005-05-10 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> > The latest mswincontext.zip has an older pdfetex, 1.20; this seems
> > to be the problem. I will get the XemTeX version and test it when I
> > get home this evening.
>
> that version should kern as expected

but we had a spurious protrusion problem still in the pdftex manual made
by 1.20a, in the HZ demonstration section. It was caused by some
uninitialized variable, was in since quite some time, fixed in 1.21a.

Regards, Hartmut

* Re: more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 20:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-10 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:15:28 +0200, Otared Kavian <otared@wanadoo.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> At 6:33 -0600 10/05/05, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>>
>>> Consider the following typescript type-test.tex and and example file
>>> hanging.tex. When TeX hyphenates the word, the dash is kerned into
>>> the margin,
>>> but when a dash is manually inserted, no kerning occurs.
>>

>> Hi Idriss,
>>
>> I tried both your example files on my installation (Gerben's TeX on
>> Mac OS X and
>> pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>

> The latest mswincontext.zip has an older pdfetex, 1.20; this seems to be
> the problem. I will get the XemTeX version and test it when I get home
> this evening.

that version should kern as expected

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 20:05             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-10 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:02:02 +0200, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> originally tex live was built out of tetex, fptex and gwtex
>>
>> currently we see these three distribitions go their own way;
>
> :
>
> What do you suggest in the short term as the easiest/best way to get the
> latest pdfetex working here?

just use the xemtex binaries (in your case)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 18:04   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-10 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrote:

> At 6:33 -0600 10/05/05, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>> Consider the following typescript type-test.tex and and example file
>> hanging.tex. When TeX hyphenates the word, the dash is kerned into the
>> margin,
>> but when a dash is manually inserted, no kerning occurs.
>
> Hi Idriss,
>
> I tried both your example files on my installation (Gerben's TeX on Mac
> OS X and
> pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)

The latest mswincontext.zip has an older pdfetex, 1.20; this seems to be
the problem. I will get the XemTeX version and test it when I get home
this evening.

Thanks to all for their help
Idris
--

@ 2005-05-10 15:38         ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2005-05-10 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm sorry I've just changed from fptex to miktex. Therefore I don't
> know very much about miktex myself. I was forced to switch because
> fptex isn't developed any further by Fabrice.

You are right. It is not developed anymore, but the whole stuff isn't
gone yet.

http://www.metz.supelec.fr/~popineau/xemtex-1.html

Beware: the web pages are still under construction.
People are welcome to download, try and report about the xemtex bundle.
Stay tuned by reading the web pages. More to come.

Best,

Fabrice

* Re: more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 15:15 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2005-05-10 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 6:33 -0600 10/05/05, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>Consider the following typescript type-test.tex and and example file
>hanging.tex. When TeX hyphenates the word, the dash is kerned into the margin,
>but when a dash is manually inserted, no kerning occurs.

Hi Idriss,

I tried both your example files on my installation (Gerben's TeX on
Mac OS X and
pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
ConTeXt  ver: 2005.04.19  fmt: 2005.4.24  int: english  mes: english).
No difference is seen between the two ways of inserting the dash:
there is a kerning into the margin as it should be (as far as I
know...).

>Note: in this example neither `-' nor \hyphen works, whereas in the previous
>posted problem \hyphen did work. This makes me think that this is a macro, not
>an engine, issue. Please help!

Here \hyphen, \endash and \emdash work correctly in both your example files.
Probably the problem is located in your installation?

Best regards: OK

* Re: more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 15:06           ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-10 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:02:02 +0200, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> originally tex live was built out of tetex, fptex and gwtex
>
> currently we see these three distribitions go their own way;
:

What do you suggest in the short term as the easiest/best way to get the
latest pdfetex working here?

Thnx as always
Idris
--

@ 2005-05-10 15:02         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-10 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'Idris Samawi Hamid'

Ulrich Dirr wrote:

> very much about miktex myself. I was forced to switch because fptex isn't
> developed any further by Fabrice. I'd preferred fptex because it was more
 > tetex like than miktex. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer and don't know
 > how to compile successfully pdftex on a windows system. But maybe you can
 > try to run a standalone version of pdftex on
 > http://pdftex.sarovar.org/djgpp/ (the latest sources of pdfTeX can be found
 > at http://pdftex.sarovar.org/src). I've attached a how-to by Thanh. When
 > you run this version it shows you a version number which should not confuse
 > you -- it's the same as 1.21a actually.

originally tex live was built out of tetex, fptex and gwtex

currently we see these three distribitions go their own way; gwtex is much more
that tetex, i.e. it ships with more tex goodies and gerbens installer provides
more tools as well asn an update path; fptex has become xemtex and is now an
integrated environment;

the gwtex binaries are mostly similar to the ones in tetex and can be used with
any web2c tree, and the same is true for the binaries that ship with xemtex;
there will be places to download the win binaries soon; miktex is a option for
windows users as well (unless you want to share trees etc on multiple platforms)

the djgpp version works ok too but is slower

btw, fabrice's (fptex) tex binaries are optimized for running mp from within tex
  and provide a few goodies not found in other web2c variants

(the new versions of texexec & texutil will no longer depend on ini files and
such and will hopefully run smoothly with miktex as well as web2c variants)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 15:00         ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:50:21 +0200, Ulrich Dirr <ud@art-satz.de> wrote:

> I was forced to switch because fptex isn't
> developed any further by Fabrice.

Oh dear, this is really bad news-((
(and to think I just wrote Fabrice about this a few minutes ago)

I will try to follow up on the rest of your advice. Basically, we need a
pdfetex setup that mswincontext.zip users can use; others will need this
as well so it should be posted somewhere (maybe on contextgarden?).

Thank you very much, Ulrich.

Best
Idris
--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* RE: more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 14:50       ` Ulrich Dirr
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2005-05-10 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 10, 2005 4:27 PM Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> I suspect that mswincontext.zip is based on fpTeX. I have not used MiKTeX
> in ages; can I just use the binary or do I need some associated dll's
(the
> way MiKTeX worked years ago)? Can you (or someone) specify a minimal set
> of files needed to use the MiKTeX version?

I'm sorry I've just changed from fptex to miktex. Therefore I don't know
very much about miktex myself. I was forced to switch because fptex isn't
developed any further by Fabrice. I'd preferred fptex because it was more
tetex like than miktex. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer and don't know
how to compile successfully pdftex on a windows system. But maybe you can
try to run a standalone version of pdftex on
http://pdftex.sarovar.org/djgpp/ (the latest sources of pdfTeX can be found
at http://pdftex.sarovar.org/src). I've attached a how-to by Thanh. When
you run this version it shows you a version number which should not confuse
you -- it's the same as 1.21a actually.

Good luck
Ulrich

[-- Attachment #2: README.djgpp-pdftex --]

* making djgpp binaries of pdftex running on win2k with miktex:

    - install miktex (the basic version small-miktex-2.4.1705.exe)
      with the default locations for texmf trees (c:/texmf and c:/localtexmf)

    - make a directory c:\mytex to contain files needed to get
      djgpp pdftex run; it must have the following structure:

,--------
|  c:\mytex
|     |-- batch
|     |-- bin
|     `-- texmf
|         |-- fonts
|         |   `-- map
|         |       `-- pdftex
|         `-- web2c
`--------

    - unpack the pdftex djgpp binaries; move the *.exe files to c:\mytex\bin
      and *.pool files to c:\mytex\texmf\web2c

    - get a decent pdftex.map (I used the TeX Collection 2004 DVD) and copy it to
      c:\mytex\texmf\fonts\map\pdftex

    - copy mktexlsr.exe from texlive2004/bin/win32-static -> c:\mytex\bin

    - copy a recent texmf.cnf (e.g. from texlive2004/texmf/web2c) ->
      c:\mytex\texmf\web2c and change the following variables:

,--------
| TEXMFMAIN = c:/texmf
| TEXMFLOCAL = c:/localtexmf
| HOMETEXMF = c:/mytex/texmf
| TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
`--------

    - create a batch file mytex.bat in c:\mytex\batch containing the following lines:

,--------
| @echo off
|
| set TEXMFCNF=c:\mytex\texmf\web2c
| set PATH=c:\mytex\bin;%PATH%
| set LFN=y
|
| cmd
`--------
      [those variables can also be set in autoexec.bat of course, but doing so
       requires a reboot :)]

    - make a shortcut to mytex.bat on desktop

    - open mytex.bat, run:

      mktexlsr

      to create the ls-R databases (helps to speed up searching).

    - some quick tests:

      pdftex -ini pdftex.ini
      pdftex -ini pdflatex.ini

      pdftex story \bye
      pdftex -fmt=pdflatex sample2e

* Re: more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 14:27     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-10 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ulrich

On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:22:02 +0200, Ulrich Dirr <ud@art-satz.de> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 10, 2005 3:12 PM Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> I think Hartmut is precisely right, because all is well using 1.21a.
>> But I do not know whether there is a pdftex 1.21a for Windows anywhere.
>
> the latest miktex has it ;-)

I suspect that mswincontext.zip is based on fpTeX. I have not used MiKTeX
in ages; can I just use the binary or do I need some associated dll's (the
way MiKTeX worked years ago)? Can you (or someone) specify a minimal set
of files needed to use the MiKTeX version?

Thnx for pointing this out.

Best
Idris
--

@ 2005-05-10 14:23   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-10 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:11:53 +0200, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
wrote:

>> Hartmut may be right that this is a pdfetex problem***, but the
>> following example makes me think there is more to it. Indeed, the
>> following is actually more to the point of my own problem:
>
> I think Hartmut is precisely right, because all is well using 1.21a.

I don't doubt you-) but then why does \hyphen (but not `-') protrude in
the example from the original post, and not protrude in my latest example?

> But I do not know whether there is a pdftex 1.21a for Windows anywhere.

\dorecurse{3}{<Sigh>}:
and I have to deliver my manuscript to the sponsors in the next few
days...
This is really no good-(

Thanks Harmut and Taco for clarifying things.

Best
Idris
--

@ 2005-05-10 14:22   ` Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2005-05-10 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-05-10 13:11 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-05-10 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear syndicate,
>
> Hartmut may be right that this is a pdfetex problem***, but the following
> example makes me think there is more to it. Indeed, the following is actually
> more to the point of my own problem:

I think Hartmut is precisely right, because all is well using 1.21a.
But I do not know whether there is a pdftex 1.21a for Windows anywhere.

Greetings, Taco

* more on margin kerning
@ 2005-05-10 12:33 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-10 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear syndicate,

Hartmut may be right that this is a pdfetex problem***, but the following
example makes me think there is more to it. Indeed, the following is actually
more to the point of my own problem:

Consider the following typescript type-test.tex and and example file
hanging.tex. When TeX hyphenates the word, the dash is kerned into the margin,
but when a dash is manually inserted, no kerning occurs.

Note: in this example neither `-' nor \hyphen works, whereas in the previous
posted problem \hyphen did work. This makes me think that this is a macro, not
an engine, issue. Please help!

Best to all and thnx
Idris

*** I am using ConTeXt ver: 2005.03.16, the full mswincontext.zip. If there
is a compatible up-to-date pdfetex binary out there please point me to it (or
send it to me)!

=============type-test.tex==============
%% font mapping
\starttypescript   [serif]    [test]           [texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [LMRSerif] [texnansi-lmbx12][encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

%% general names
\starttypescript   [serif]    [test]           [name]
\definefontsynonym [Serif]    [LMRSerif]
\stoptypescript

%% font sizes
\starttypescript   [serif]    [test]           [size]
\definebodyfont [4pt,5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt,9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt,14.4pt,17.3pt]
  [rm]
  [tf=Serif sa 1]
\stoptypescript

%% hanging
\starttypescript  [serif]     [hanging][test]

\setupfontsynonym [Serif]     [handling=normal]
\setupfontsynonym [SerifCapt] [handling=normal]

\stoptypescript

%% final typeface
\starttypescript[LMRTest]

\definebodyfontenvironment
  [LMRTest]
  [default]
  [interlinespace=2.8ex]

\definetypeface [lmrtest]
[rm] [serif] [test] [test] [encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript
===================================

=============hanging.tex===============
\setupoutput[pdftex]

\setuplayout[width=4in]

\usetypescriptfile[type-test]
\usetypescript[serif] [hanging] [test]
\usetypescript[LMRTest]
\setupbodyfont[lmrtest,10pt]
\setupalign[hanging]

\showframe
\starttext

   \dorecurse{40}{lots of hy\-phen\-a\-tion\hyphen\ }
   \blank
   \dorecurse{40}{lots of hy\-phen\-a\-tion- }

\hyphen\ -

\stoptext