* Paragraph internal graphic/layout inquiry.
@ 2005-07-13  0:08 David Wooten
From: David Wooten @ 2005-07-13  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings all,

Mr. Tufte has an interesting  example from da Vinci: http://
trichotomic.net/Leonardo.jpg (76k). Is this type of layout currently
possible (or perhaps a better question, wieldy) within ConTeXt?

Kind regards,
David Wooten

* Re: Paragraph internal graphic/layout inquiry.
@ 2005-07-13  7:23 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-07-13  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Wooten wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> Mr. Tufte has an interesting  example from da Vinci: http://
> trichotomic.net/Leonardo.jpg (76k). Is this type of layout currently
> possible (or perhaps a better question, wieldy) within ConTeXt?

In a standard TeX installation, it is not possible to make this
type of paragraph without massive amounts of manual intervention,
because TeX's paragraphs cannot (normally) contain holes.

However, VTeX does not have that limititation, and the OS/2 and
Linux versions of it's TeX compiler are free (as in beer). See

   http://www.micropress-inc.com

Greetings,

Taco

* Re: Paragraph internal graphic/layout inquiry.
@ 2005-07-13 15:53   ` David Wooten
From: David Wooten @ 2005-07-13 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah, that's what I feared. I'm using Mac OS X, so I guess I'll have to
postpone it. Thanks for the response,
David

@ 2005-07-13 18:06   ` Hartmut Henkel
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2005-07-13 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> David Wooten wrote:
> > Mr. Tufte has an interesting example from da Vinci: http://
> > trichotomic.net/Leonardo.jpg (76k). Is this type of layout currently
> > possible (or perhaps a better question, wieldy) within ConTeXt?
>
> In a standard TeX installation, it is not possible to make this type
> of paragraph without massive amounts of manual intervention, because
> TeX's paragraphs cannot (normally) contain holes.

FWIW, there is a pointer to a similar problem in DEK's "Digital
Typography", chapter 9: "Problem for a Saturday Morning", published in
TUGboat 8 (1987) (Harmless title for the amount of macros piling up
there :-) An article from Alan Hoenig is also mentioned, which can be
found there:

http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb08-2/tb18hoenig.pdf

Regards, Hartmut

* Re: Paragraph internal graphic/layout inquiry.
@ 2005-07-19 14:08     ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2005-07-19 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/13/05, Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
> > David Wooten wrote:
> > > Mr. Tufte has an interesting example from da Vinci: http://
> > > trichotomic.net/Leonardo.jpg (76k). Is this type of layout currently
> > > possible (or perhaps a better question, wieldy) within ConTeXt?
> >
> > In a standard TeX installation, it is not possible to make this type
> > of paragraph without massive amounts of manual intervention, because
> > TeX's paragraphs cannot (normally) contain holes.
>
> FWIW, there is a pointer to a similar problem in DEK's "Digital
> Typography", chapter 9: "Problem for a Saturday Morning", published in
> TUGboat 8 (1987) (Harmless title for the amount of macros piling up
> there :-) An article from Alan Hoenig is also mentioned, which can be
> found there:
>
> http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb08-2/tb18hoenig.pdf

Hi,

Hans, is this something we can expect some nice ConTeXt-ish macros for?

Best regards, Micke P

* Re: Paragraph internal graphic/layout inquiry.
@ 2005-07-19 20:38       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-07-19 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mikael Persson wrote:

>Hans, is this something we can expect some nice ConTeXt-ish macros for?

This is always kind of tricky. Grepping for parshape on my disk gave me an old test file which i wrapped in a preliminary module. I'm not that sure about the interface and I've forgotten how well it performs.

(I do have a multi column variant somewhere too.)

no guarantees

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: m-shape.tex --]

* Re: Paragraph internal graphic/layout inquiry.
@ 2005-07-20  0:36         ` David Wooten
From: David Wooten @ 2005-07-20  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, I'm not sure how to try out this 'preliminary module' --- looks
like there is a sample included, but perhaps it could be spelled out
for me (and anyone else who doesn't know how to proceed).

Many thanks!
Dave

@ 2005-07-20  1:03           ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2005-07-20  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can comment out the line

\doifnotmode{demo}{\endinput}

There is probably also an invocation of TeX with a command line option
which sets the mode.

Matthias

@ 2005-07-20  5:11             ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-07-20  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Weber wrote:

> You can comment out the line
>
> \doifnotmode{demo}{\endinput}
>
> There is probably also an invocation of TeX with a command line option
> which sets the mode.

I made it with
$>texexec --pdf --mode=demo m-shape.tex

luigi