* LaTeX \newcommands in ConTeXt.
@ 2005-07-25  6:15 Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2005-07-25  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've recently been doing a little work on implementing a few LaTeX kernel
bits in ConTeXt, to simplify porting LaTeX code over.  It's now at a point
where a few of the pieces might actually be useful, and certainly to a
point where some comments would be welcomed, so I've put up a version of it
online, in this directory:

     http://dpdx.net/context/latex-compat/

What you'll find there is a fair number of module files, along with a
couple of "latextest" files that I've been using to try out the
results.  latextext.tex is to be compiled in ConTeXt; latextext-latex.tex
is to be compiled in LaTeX for purposes of comparison.

In any case, I think the implementation of \newcommand (and its relatives)
is about up to "beta" level.  Ditto with LaTeX lengths.  And there's a
working LaTeX-like counter implementation, based on ConTeXt counters
underneath.  (It's not yet hooked into ConTeXt's counters for footnotes and
equations and pages, though; I'm not really sure how to do that.)

Also, environments are working, in a sort of hackish way.  The "array"
environment works, but again a bit hackish; I'm planning to clean that up
soon, so both of those will get major revisions.

I'd particularly appreciate any comments on the \newcommand and counters
implementations -- those are in the t-ltcmds and t-ltcnts modules, though
\newcommand also depends on t-lterrs and t-ltbase.

- Brooks