* Re: Update to the newest ConTeXt version
@ 2005-07-26 11:31 Jessica Holle
From: Jessica Holle @ 2005-07-26 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Under Windows is TextPad the best way to look after I think...

(See attached file: jessi.zip)

hope you can help

greetings Jessica

----- Weitergeleitet von Jessica Holle/InfoTL am 26.07.2005 13:14
-----

                    Taco Hoekwater
                    <taco@elvenkind.        An:     mailing list for ConTeXt users <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
                    com>                    Kopie:
                    Gesendet von:           Thema:  Re: [NTG-context] Update to the newest ConTeXt version
                    ntg-context-boun
                    ces@ntg.nl

                    26.07.2005 12:16
                    Bitte antworten
                    an mailing list
                    for ConTeXt
                    users

Jessica Holle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've done everything like described on the page you tell, but
there
> is a problem too
>
> rzvlabwks:/usr/sbin # texexec --version

Can you show me the output of
           texexec --make --all

please? Something went wrong at that stage, it seems.

Taco

[-- Attachment #2: jessi.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 11388 bytes --]

* Re: Update to the newest ConTeXt version
@ 2005-07-26 12:07 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-07-26 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I think I've found it.

You have generated the formats with the old texexec (version 5.2.4,
from tetex), but that should have been done with the new one
(5.4.2, from the zip file). My guess is that the old one is still
somewhere in root's search path.

Cheers, Taco

@ 2005-07-26 12:33   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-07-26 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think I've found it.
>
> You have generated the formats with the old texexec (version 5.2.4,
> from tetex), but that should have been done with the new one
> (5.4.2, from the zip file). My guess is that the old one is still
> somewhere in root's search path.

The best way to deal with this is to change texexec in thebin path into:

#!/bin/sh
texmfstart texexec $@

given that texmfstart is present in the bin path (you copy texmfstart.rb from ../scripts/context/ruby)

that way, you always run the latest texexec (since texmfstart can locate it)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-07-26 10:16 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-07-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-07-26  9:38 Jessica Holle
From: Jessica Holle @ 2005-07-26  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've done everything like described on the page you tell, but there
is a problem too

rzvlabwks:/usr/sbin # texexec --version

 TeXExec 5.4.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

               texexec : TeXExec 5.4.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE
1997-2005
               texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE
1992-2004
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-en.fmt
fmtutil: no info for format `cont-en'.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt context.fmt
fmtutil: no info for format `context'.
                   tex : unknown
               context : ver: 2005.07.21
               cont-en : unknown

        total run time : 4 seconds
rzvlabwks:/usr/sbin # cd /home/jessi/test/neu/
rzvlabwks:/home/jessi/test/neu # texexec bericht.tex

 TeXExec 5.4.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

fixing engine variable : pdfetex
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : bericht
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
 \write18 enabled.
 (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-en.fmt
fmtutil: no info for format `cont-en'.
Sorry, I can't find the format `cont-en.fmt'; will try
`context.fmt'.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt context.fmt
fmtutil: no info for format `context'.
I can't find the format file `context.fmt'!

           return code : 256
              run time : 2 seconds

        total run time : 3 seconds

I think the file cont-en.* is missing. This I have erased before
like it is written down in the  manual you told.

greetings Jessica

----- Weitergeleitet von Jessica Holle/InfoTL am 26.07.2005 11:14
-----

                    Taco Hoekwater
                    <taco@elvenkind.        An:     mailing list for ConTeXt users <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
                    com>                    Kopie:
                    Gesendet von:           Thema:  Re: [NTG-context] Update to the newest ConTeXt version
                    ntg-context-boun
                    ces@ntg.nl

                    26.07.2005 10:00
                    Bitte antworten
                    an mailing list
                    for ConTeXt
                    users

Jessica Holle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm very new at the context section.
> I've installed teTeX 3.0 from the sources and in the way it is
> explained here:
>
> http://tug.org/teTeX/tetex-src/QuickInstall
>
> Everything works fine, I can compile my files.
>
> Now I want to update my version 2005-01-31 to 2005-07-21
>
> texexec --version give this output:
>
> texexec --version
>
>  TeXExec 5.4.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>
>                texexec : TeXExec 5.4.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE
> 1997-2005
>                texutil :                    tex : pdfeTeX,
> 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>                context : ver: 2005.07.21
>                cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2005.7.26  mes:

You now have a new distribution of context but are still using
the old format files from teTeX. You have to follow these steps
quite closely:

   http://contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation

Esp. see "Fix texmf.cnf" and "Cleanup fmtutil"

Good luck,

Taco

* Re: Update to the newest ConTeXt version
@ 2005-07-26  8:00 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-07-26  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-07-26  6:55 Jessica Holle
From: Jessica Holle @ 2005-07-26  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm very new at the context section.
I've installed teTeX 3.0 from the sources and in the way it is
explained here:

http://tug.org/teTeX/tetex-src/QuickInstall

Everything works fine, I can compile my files.

Now I want to update my version 2005-01-31 to 2005-07-21

texexec --version give this output:

texexec --version

 TeXExec 5.4.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

               texexec : TeXExec 5.4.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE
1997-2005
               texutil :                    tex : pdfeTeX,
3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
               context : ver: 2005.07.21
               cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2005.7.26  mes:
english

        total run time : 1 seconds

Everything looks fine for me, but, when I want to compile my file,
which works before the update to the new version, I get such a
mistake:

texexec bericht.tex

 TeXExec 5.4.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

 fixing texformat path : .:
{!!/root/.texmf-config,!!/root/.texmf-var,/root/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-config,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-var,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist}/web2c/

$engine,}
fixing engine variable : pdfetex
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : bericht
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
 \write18 enabled.
 (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
entering extended mode
(./bericht.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2005.7.26  int: english  mes: english

language        : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system          : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
color           : palette rollover is available
system (E-TEX) : [line 1068]
system (E-TEX) : [line 1123]
)
system          : cont-old loaded
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system          : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system          : cont-sys loaded
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/user/cont-sys.tex
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.14 \starttypescriptcollection
                               [synonyms]
?
! Undefined control sequence.
l.697 \stoptypescriptcollection

and so on...

But I don't know what my problem is. The cont-sys.tex I've already
replaced by the original file which I have in my backup of teTeX3.0

I followed this intructions when I updating the version:

http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html#install

I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks

Greetings Jessica