* encoding/compiling issues (macosx)
@ 2007-10-08  7:57 Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-10-08  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi to all,

we (I and Miriam, who is in CC, but she should be now on the list)
are setting up our ConTeXt installation  in order to (re-)typeset the
academic journal we are editors.
We are both on macosx: the idea is to use XeTeX.
I installed on Miriam's macbook mactex, and  I also have updated it
from the mactex site. Exactly like mine.
We're experiencing this problem:
we have an utf 8 text and I'm compiling with no problem on my
machine. On Miriam's one
1. if we compile with ConTeXt-pdftex (specifying the regime) we are
having little black boxes near the non-ascii char (i.e. an accented
glyph is rendered as non accented glyph + box)
2. if we compile with XeConTeXt the resulting pdf simply skips the
accents (e.g an accented glyph is rendered non accented)

More:
We can't do
ctxtools --updatecontext

it complaint it cannot fetch the zip

Differences:
1. I am on macbook pro, she's on macbook (both on 2007 intel)
2. I'm using the English version of the macosx system, she's using
the Italian one.

Many thanks

-a-

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

* Re: encoding/compiling issues (macosx)
@ 2007-10-08 11:07 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-10-08 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andrea,

2007/10/8, Andrea Valle <valle@di.unito.it>:
> Hi to all,
>
> we (I and Miriam, who is in CC, but she should be now on the list) are
> setting up our ConTeXt installation  in order to (re-)typeset the academic
> journal we are editors.
> We are both on macosx: the idea is to use XeTeX.
> I installed on Miriam's macbook mactex, and  I also have updated it from the
> mactex site. Exactly like mine.
> We're experiencing this problem:
> we have an utf 8 text and I'm compiling with no problem on my machine. On
> Miriam's one
> 1. if we compile with ConTeXt-pdftex (specifying the regime) we are having
> little black boxes near the non-ascii char (i.e. an accented glyph is
> rendered as non accented glyph + box)
> 2. if we compile with XeConTeXt the resulting pdf simply skips the accents
> (e.g an accented glyph is rendered non accented)

Can you send e example to the list.

> More:
> We can't do
> ctxtools --updatecontext
> it complaint it cannot fetch the zip

you can download the zip-file from pragma-ade.nl or one of the mirrors
on unzip the file in your local tex tree

> Differences:
> 1. I am on macbook pro, she's on macbook (both on 2007 intel)
> 2. I'm using the English version of the macosx system, she's using the
> Italian one.

shouldn't be a problem

Wolfgang

* Re: encoding/compiling issues (macosx)
@ 2007-10-08 14:05   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-10-08 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Wolfgang,

> Can you send e example to the list.

http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/misc/

01_etc: the pdf from which we copied and pasted
andreaConTeXt: compiled with XeConTeXt (fine)
env_etc: the env (we're using a project structure). We have tested
both with and without the \enableregime[utf]
miriamConTeXt: here we have black boxes
miriamXeTeX: here we loose accents
prd/pro: just for the record, the structure files
semiotiche: the bib files we refer to
source: the tex source

>> More:
>> We can't do
>> ctxtools --updatecontext
>> it complaint it cannot fetch the zip
>
> you can download the zip-file from pragma-ade.nl or one of the mirrors
> on unzip the file in your local tex tree

Thanks (but why cannot I?)

>> Differences:
>> 1. I am on macbook pro, she's on macbook (both on 2007 intel)
>> 2. I'm using the English version of the macosx system, she's using
>> the
>> Italian one.
>
> shouldn't be a problem

I guest so too

Best

@ 2007-10-08 14:39     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-10-08 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Andrea Valle wrote:

>>> More:
>>> We can't do
>>> ctxtools --updatecontext
>>> it complaint it cannot fetch the zip
>>
>> you can download the zip-file from pragma-ade.nl or one of the mirrors
>> on unzip the file in your local tex tree
>
> Thanks (but why cannot I?)

Are you behind a firewall? ctxtools --update cannot fetch the zip
files behind a firewall.

Aditya

* Re: encoding/compiling issues (macosx)
@ 2007-10-08 18:42       ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-10-08 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Are you behind a firewall? ctxtools --update cannot fetch the zip
> files behind a firewall.

Thanks Aditya,
could be. Solved: no problem at home.

@ 2007-10-10  7:13     ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-10-10  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi to all,
So, no clues?
Being it a fresh install we really do not know what to do...we're
getting bored of those little black squares...:-)

Thanks

Best
-a-

@ 2007-10-10  9:06       ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2007-10-10  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andrea,

2007/10/10, Andrea Valle <valle@di.unito.it>:

> Hi to all,So, no clues?Being it a fresh install we really do not know what
> to do...we're getting bored of those little black squares...:-)

I  corrected wrong characters in source.tex like following:

Semiotica duale anzitutto peché le due distinte origini moderne, da Charles

S. Peirce e da Ferdinand de Saussure, hanno determinato due distinte
tradizioni,

Semiotica duale anzitutto perché le due distinte origini moderne, da Charles

S. Peirce e da Ferdinand de Saussure, hanno determinato due distinte
tradizioni,

(In an Unicode enabled Editor like Scite there is a difference between é
and é)

and there were no black boxes in the output of luatex.

I could send you the source and the resulting pdf offlist

Thanks

> Best
> -a-
>

> On 8 Oct 2007, at 16:05, Andrea Valle wrote:
>
> More:
> We can't do
> ctxtools --updatecontext
> it complaint it cannot fetch the zip
>

> you can download the zip-file from pragma-ade.nl or one of the mirrors
> on unzip the file in your local tex tree
>

> Thanks (but why cannot I?)
>
> Ifyou use a proxy you can try:
ctxtools --updatecontext --proxy=10.213.10.254
(assuming proxy port is 80)

Greetings Lutz

* Re: -- PHISHING CONTENT DETECTED-- -- DANGEROUS CONTENT DISARMED -- Re: encoding/compiling issues (macosx)
@ 2007-10-10 10:11         ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-10-10 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah

thanks a lot, didn't think about that (well, I wasn't aware at all
that there could be two glyphs for the e.g. accented e)
I'll start a string replacement strategy.

Many thanks.
Best

-a-

On 10 Oct 2007, at 11:06, Lutz Haseloff wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> 2007/10/10, Andrea Valle <valle@di.unito.it>:
> Hi to all,
> So, no clues?
> Being it a fresh install we really do not know what to do...we're
> getting bored of those little black squares...:-)
>
> I  corrected wrong characters in source.tex like following:
>
> Semiotica duale anzitutto peché le due distinte origini moderne,
> da Charles
> S. Peirce e da Ferdinand de Saussure, hanno determinato due
> distinte tradizioni,

> Semiotica duale anzitutto perché le due distinte origini moderne,
> da Charles
> S. Peirce e da Ferdinand de Saussure, hanno determinato due
> distinte tradizioni,
>
> (In an Unicode enabled Editor like Scite there is a difference
> between é and é)
>
> and there were no black boxes in the output of luatex.
>
> I could send you the source and the resulting pdf offlist
>

> Thanks
>
> Best
> -a-

>>> you can download the zip-file from pragma-ade.nl or one of the
>>> mirrors
>>> on unzip the file in your local tex tree
>>
>> Thanks (but why cannot I?)
>>
> Ifyou use a proxy you can try:
> ctxtools --updatecontext --proxy=The Virus/Spam/Threat Scanner of
> the computer Science Department - University of Turin - warning:
> numerical links are often malicious: 10.213.10.254
> (assuming proxy port is 80)
>
> Greetings Lutz
> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _____________

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

* -- PHISHING CONTENT DETECTED-- -- DANGEROUS CONTENT DISARMED -- Re: Re: encoding/compiling issues (macosx)
@ 2007-10-10 13:58           ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-10-10 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

No way with replacement.
This is consistent with my experience on my machine where the
original source file compiles with no errors.
It's Miriam's install which seems to be buggy.

Thanks

Best

-a-

@ 2007-10-12  8:45       ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-10-12  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi to all,

still no way here: damned black boxes!
What do you all think? Should I address it to the mac tex list?

(this one, I guess:
http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
)

Best

-a-

@ 2007-10-12 10:32 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-10-12 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/8/07, Andrea Valle wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> we (I and Miriam, who is in CC, but she should be now on the list) are
> setting up our ConTeXt installation  in order to (re-)typeset the academic
> journal we are editors.
> We are both on macosx: the idea is to use XeTeX.
> I installed on Miriam's macbook mactex, and  I also have updated it from the
> mactex site. Exactly like mine.
> We're experiencing this problem:
> we have an utf 8 text and I'm compiling with no problem on my machine. On
> Miriam's one
> 1. if we compile with ConTeXt-pdftex (specifying the regime) we are having
> little black boxes near the non-ascii char (i.e. an accented glyph is
> rendered as non accented glyph + box)

The problem is that your utf-8 text doesn't use normal "eacute", but
rather "e + combining acute accant", and pdfTeX will never be able to
handle that. I could send you a patch to remove those black boxes, but
you won't be able to put them over the character before it, so that
won't help you at all.

TeX needs accent specification before the character. A combining
accent after the character cannot be handled, at least not in pdfTeX -
XeTeX and LuaTeX should be fine with it.

Can you try to convert the text again using
   pdftotext -enc UTF-8 your-pdf-document.pdf
and copy that text into the main document?

> 2. if we compile with XeConTeXt the resulting pdf simply skips the accents
> (e.g an accented glyph is rendered non accented)

The default font (LM) doesn't work properly with any version of
ConTeXt prior to 2007.09.28. But if you load some system font, the
accents should work OK.

If you are using XeTeX, I strongly recommend you to use both the same
version of ConTeXt. The one from January and the one form September
differ considerably.
(Even with the latest one I have some problems again - I need to
figure out where the problem is, but it's nothing critical.)

> More:
> We can't do
> ctxtools --updatecontext
>
> it complaint it cannot fetch the zip

Download the zip manually and unzip it to the folder where the old
ConTeXt resides. Run mktexlsr and texexec --make [--xtx] --all.
updatecontext doesn't do anything else.

Mojca

* Re: encoding/compiling issues (macosx)
@ 2007-10-16 14:03   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-10-16 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Mojca,

sorry for the late reply but we had to test together.

> The problem is that your utf-8 text doesn't use normal "eacute", but
> rather "e + combining acute accant", and pdfTeX will never be able to
> handle that.

Ok, understood, good to know it.

> TeX needs accent specification before the character. A combining
> accent after the character cannot be handled, at least not in pdfTeX -
> XeTeX and LuaTeX should be fine with it.

Voilà, here's the problem. We're having different behaviors usign
XeTeX, while ConTeXt works the same on thwo machines. My XeConTeXt
works ok. The one on Miriam's machine not.

> Can you try to convert the text again using
>    pdftotext -enc UTF-8 your-pdf-document.pdf
> and copy that text into the main document?

We have already done it. This solved the problems with accented
glyphs but not with other glyphs
(apostrpohes, dots)

>> 2. if we compile with XeConTeXt the resulting pdf simply skips the
>> accents
>> (e.g an accented glyph is rendered non accented)
>
> The default font (LM) doesn't work properly with any version of
> ConTeXt prior to 2007.09.28. But if you load some system font, the
> accents should work OK.

Ah! that's exactly so. We are experiencing the difference: the
problem disappears with system fonts.

> If you are using XeTeX, I strongly recommend you to use both the same
> version of ConTeXt. The one from January and the one form September
> differ considerably.

Ok.

Thanks a lot for your support

@ 2007-10-16 19:42     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-10-16 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/16/07, Andrea Valle wrote:
> Thanks Mojca,
>
> sorry for the late reply but we had to test together.

No problem. I'm glad that you have managed to solve the problems :)

> Can you try to convert the text again using
>    pdftotext -enc UTF-8 your-pdf-document.pdf
> and copy that text into the main document?
>
> We have already done it. This solved the problems with accented glyphs but
> not with other glyphs
> (apostrpohes, dots)

Which glyphs are still problematic? Can you send a minimal example (I
only need a set of those characters in an UTF-8 file). Some problems
can be solved (that one with accents cannot be). UTF-8 support in
ConTeXt in pdfTeX has been added gradually: whenever someone figured
out that some glyphs or definitions were missing (for example some
UTF-8 math symbols), they were added.

Mojca

* Re: encoding/compiling issues (macosx)
@ 2007-10-17  7:36       ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-10-17  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)