* footnote twiks
@ 2005-08-26  2:56 Ciro Soto
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-08-26  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I need two more twiks for my footnotes:
I am using asterisk instead of numbers or letter for the footnotes.

Twik 1:
My font is too slanted and the asterisk (*) is printed too close to the
last word in the sentence.
Example:
Charles IV \footnote[]{asdfasdf}
will print an asterisk touching the V letter.
How do I instruct context to give me some room between the V and the asterisk?

Second twik:
How to control the distance between the page text and the rule line
that separates
the footnote and the page text?
I tried the "distance=", th
e "height="  arguments in the
setupfootnotes, but they don't do
what I want.
thank you
--
=======================================
"All problems are at the interface. Each one of them has a solution."

* Re: footnote twiks
@ 2005-08-26 10:51 ` Olivier
From: Olivier @ 2005-08-26 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting  "Ciro Soto" :
> -- was cirosoto@gmail.com on Aug 25, 2005 at 10:56:05PM --

> Twik 1:
> My font is too slanted and the asterisk (*) is printed too close to the
> last word in the sentence.
I would use {\/asdfasdf} instead of {asdfasdf}.
At least this is the correction suggested in the TeXbook iirc.

> Example:
> Charles IV \footnote[]{asdfasdf}
> will print an asterisk touching the V letter.

Olivier

* Re: footnote twiks
@ 2005-08-26 21:55   ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-08-26 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

no,no. My problem is with the V that appears in the text, not in the footnote!
thank you, though.

--
=======================================

@ 2005-08-26 22:19     ` Olivier
From: Olivier @ 2005-08-26 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting  "Ciro Soto" :
> -- was cirosoto@gmail.com on Aug 26, 2005 at 05:55:06PM --

> no,no. My problem is with the V that appears in the text, not in the footnote!
Ooops I'm sorry for this.

What about tweaking the space in the symbol definition like with
        \defineconversion[slstarred][\hskip3pt*]
instead of
        \defineconversion[starred][*]

I admit it's kind of a bad solution since you would have to switch
between slstarred and starred depending on the type of the text font.
But if you are using the footnote just for slanted text...

Olivier

* Re: footnote twiks
@ 2005-08-27  9:47 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-08-27  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciro Soto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need two more twiks for my footnotes:
> I am using asterisk instead of numbers or letter for the footnotes.
>

> Twik 1:
> My font is too slanted and the asterisk (*) is printed too close to the
> last word in the sentence.
> Example:
> Charles IV \footnote[]{asdfasdf}
> will print an asterisk touching the V letter.
> How do I instruct context to give me some room between the V and the asterisk?

What about Charles IV\/\footnote[]{asdfasdf}?

> Second twik:
> How to control the distance between the page text and the rule line
> that separates
> the footnote and the page text?

You can use "before=\blank[5cm]" to get around 5 cm blank space before
the footnote line.

> I tried the "distance=", th
> e "height="  arguments in the
> setupfootnotes, but they don't do
> what I want.
> thank you

The comment next to the only line in core-not.tex where I saw the
parameter "distance=" being used states that it is hack for something,
so I didn't really understand if/how someone could use it. "height" has
some other strange meaning (perhaps the maximum height of footnotes, I
have no idea).

Mojca

* Re: footnote twiks
@ 2005-08-27 10:09       ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-08-27 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier wrote:
> Quoting  "Ciro Soto" :
>
>>-- was cirosoto@gmail.com on Aug 26, 2005 at 05:55:06PM --

Example:
> > >Charles IV \footnote[]{asdfasdf}
> > >
>>no,no. My problem is with the V that appears in the text, not in the footnote!
>
> Ooops I'm sorry for this.
>
> What about tweaking the space in the symbol definition like with
>         \defineconversion[slstarred][\hskip3pt*]
> instead of
>         \defineconversion[starred][*]
>
> I admit it's kind of a bad solution since you would have to switch
> between slstarred and starred depending on the type of the text font.
> But if you are using the footnote just for slanted text...

So let us improve the slanted Charles IV by italic correction (that Taco
suggested to place to note text):

\defineconversion[starred][\starredconv]
\def\starredconv#1{\ifcase#1\or*\or**\or***\fi}
\setupfootnotes[conversion=starred]

\starttext
   Charles IV\/\footnote{Best Czech king (14th cent.)
     and the winner of best Czech person voting.}

   \it
   Charles IV\/\footnote{Best Czech king (14th cent.)
     and the winner of Best Czech person voting.}
\stoptext
It does not solve to place italic correction inside the \starredconv,
since some material (space removing, penalty?) is inserted in between
and the letter V is forgotten -- and with them also proper italic
correction.

vit

* Re: footnote twiks
@ 2005-08-29 11:00 ` Hans Hagen Outside
From: Hans Hagen Outside @ 2005-08-29 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciro Soto wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I need two more twiks for my footnotes:
>I am using asterisk instead of numbers or letter for the footnotes.
>

>Twik 1:
>My font is too slanted and the asterisk (*) is printed too close to the
>last word in the sentence.
>Example:
>Charles IV \footnote[]{asdfasdf}
>will print an asterisk touching the V letter.
>How do I instruct context to give me some room between the V and the asterisk?
>
>Second twik:
>How to control the distance between the page text and the rule line
>that separates
>the footnote and the page text?
>I tried the "distance=", th
>e "height="  arguments in the
>setupfootnotes, but they don't do
>what I want.
>thank you

patch in core-not:

\unprotect

\def\dolastnotesymbol
  {\removeunwantedspaces
   \doifitalicelse\/\donothing % Charles IV \footnote{the fourth}
   \ifdim\lastkern=\notesignal
     \dodonotesymbol{\kern\noteparameter\c!distance}% gets the font
right, hack !
   \fi
   \nobreak
   \doifelse{\noteparameter\c!interaction}\v!no

{\dodonotesymbol{\lastnotenumber\domovednote\v!previouspage\v!nextpage}%
      \ifconditional\pagewisenotes
        \rawreference\s!fnt{\s!fnt:f:\internalfootreference}{}%
      \fi}
     {\gotobox

{\dodonotesymbol{\lastnotenumber\domovednote\v!previouspage\v!nextpage}}%
        [\s!fnt:t:\internalfootreference]%
      \rawreference\s!fnt{\s!fnt:f:\internalfootreference}{}}%
   \globallet\lastnotesymbol\relax}

\protect

\starttext

\setupfootnotes[conversion=set 1]

{Charles IV  \footnote{oeps}}
{\sl Charles IV  \footnote{oeps}}
{\bs Charles IV  \footnote{oeps}}

\stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: footnote twiks
@ 2005-08-29 13:13   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-08-29 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen Outside wrote:
> Ciro Soto wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need two more twiks for my footnotes:
>> I am using asterisk instead of numbers or letter for the footnotes.
>>

>> Twik 1:
>> My font is too slanted and the asterisk (*) is printed too close to the
>> last word in the sentence.
>> Example:
>> Charles IV \footnote[]{asdfasdf}
>> will print an asterisk touching the V letter.
>> How do I instruct context to give me some room between the V and the
>> asterisk?
>>
>> Second twik:
>> How to control the distance between the page text and the rule line
>> that separates
>> the footnote and the page text?
>> I tried the "distance=", th
>> e "height="  arguments in the
>> setupfootnotes, but they don't do
>> what I want.
>> thank you
>>

> patch in core-not:
>
> \unprotect
>
> \def\dolastnotesymbol
>  {\removeunwantedspaces
>   \doifitalicelse\/\donothing % Charles IV \footnote{the fourth}

Just a question: why use 'italic correction' only for it/bi/sl/bs and
not in every time (where is usually = 0pt but not necesserily)? It is
part of font design. We are affraid of bad-designed fonts?

If we do not want to add useless 0pt kern, we can write

   \/\ifdim\lastkern=0pt\unkern\fi

vit

>   \ifdim\lastkern=\notesignal
>     \dodonotesymbol{\kern\noteparameter\c!distance}% gets the font
> right, hack !
>   \fi
>   \nobreak
>   \doifelse{\noteparameter\c!interaction}\v!no
>
> {\dodonotesymbol{\lastnotenumber\domovednote\v!previouspage\v!nextpage}%
>      \ifconditional\pagewisenotes
>        \rawreference\s!fnt{\s!fnt:f:\internalfootreference}{}%
>      \fi}
>     {\gotobox
>
> {\dodonotesymbol{\lastnotenumber\domovednote\v!previouspage\v!nextpage}}%
>        [\s!fnt:t:\internalfootreference]%
>      \rawreference\s!fnt{\s!fnt:f:\internalfootreference}{}}%
>   \globallet\lastnotesymbol\relax}
>
> \protect
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupfootnotes[conversion=set 1]
>
> {Charles IV  \footnote{oeps}}
> {\sl Charles IV  \footnote{oeps}}
> {\bs Charles IV  \footnote{oeps}}
>
> \stoptext

Ing. Vít Zýka, Ph.D.                         TYPOkvítek

database publishing              databazove publikovani
data maintaining and typesetting in typographic quality
priprava dat a jejich sazba v typograficke kvalite

tel.: (+420) 777 198 189     www: http://typokvitek.com

* Re: footnote twiks
@ 2005-08-29 13:23     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-08-29 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:

> Just a question: why use 'italic correction' only for it/bi/sl/bs and
> not in every time (where is usually = 0pt but not necesserily)? It is
> part of font design. We are affraid of bad-designed fonts?

i remember situations where i got an italic correction in spite fo the font not being italic; i've forgotten when so i decided to add the test

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE