* RE: New context version
@ 2005-08-28 14:04 Rob Ermers
From: Rob Ermers @ 2005-08-28 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Thanks for the link to the faq. I did what was said there:

1. I installed the lm fonts
2. I emended the miktex.ini file according to the specifications

The texexec -- make en nl  still fails (see end of log)

My test file, the one I am working on, apparently processes normally,
but the output is dvi rather than pdf. References are not processed.
Something is still wrong.

Could anyone help me out? Help greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Robert

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.4) (INITEX)  28
AUG 2005 15:55
entering extended mode
***cont-en
(J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\cont-en.tex
(J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\context.tex
(J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\syst-pln.tex
\maxdimen=\dimen10
\hideskip=\skip10
\centering=\skip11
\p@=\dimen11
\z@=\dimen12
\z@skip=\skip12
\voidb@x=\box10
\interdisplaylinepenalty=\count23
\interfootnotelinepenalty=\count24
\bigskipamount=\skip13
\jot=\dimen13
\medskipamount=\skip14
\normalbaselineskip=\skip15
\normallineskip=\skip16
\normallineskiplimit=\dimen14
\smallskipamount=\skip17
\mscount=\count25
\tabs=\box11
\tabsyet=\box12
\tabsdone=\box13
)
(J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\syst-prm.tex)
(J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\syst-etx.tex)
(J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\syst-omg.tex)
(J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\syst-xtx.tex)
(J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\syst-gen.tex

bodyfont        : style mm (mm) defined
) (J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\./type-map.tex)
(J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\./type-spe.tex)
(J:\tex\texmf\tex\context\base\./type-akb.tex)
(J:\tex\localtexmf\tex\context\base\./type-loc.tex))

ConTeXt  ver: 2005.08.19  fmt: 2005.8.28  int: english  mes: english

fonts           : needs map file: original-base
fonts           : needs map file: ec-public-lm
fonts           : needs map file: ec-base
! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                    \@@ladefault
\defaultlanguage #1->\@EA \ifx \csname \??la #1
                                                \c!default \endcsname
\empty ...

\defaultlanguage ...\??la #1\c!default \endcsname
                                                   \fi
\dogetupsometextprefix #1#2#3->\ifcsname #2#1
                                              #3\endcsname \csname
#2#1#3\end...

\labeltexts #1#2->\leftlabeltext {#1}
                                      #2\rightlabeltext {#1}
<argument> ...enumber {\pageprefixes \pagenumber }
                                                   \@@nmright
l.44 \protect \errorstopmode \dump
                                    \endinput
?
! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                    \@@ladefault
\defaultlanguage #1->\@EA \ifx \csname \??la #1
                                                \c!default \endcsname
\empty ...

\defaultlanguage ...\??la #1\c!default \endcsname
                                                   \fi
\defaultlanguage #1->\@EA \ifx \csname \??la #1
                                                \c!default \endcsname
\empty ...

\dogetupsometextprefix ... #2\defaultlanguage {#1}
                                                   #3\endcsname \csname
#2\de...

\labeltexts #1#2->\leftlabeltext {#1}
                                      #2\rightlabeltext {#1}
l.44 \protect \errorstopmode \dump
                                    \endinput
?
! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                    \@@ladefault
\defaultlanguage ...faultlanguage \csname \??la #1
                                                   \c!default \endcsname
\fi

                                              #3\endcsname \csname
#2#1#3\end...
<argument> ...enumber {\pageprefixes \pagenumber }
                                                   \@@nmright
\firstofoneargument #1->#1

                                                   #3\endcsname \csname
#2\de...
[...]
c \initializevariable\usedcolorchannels{}
[1.1] )
Beginning to dump on file cont-en.efmt
  (preloaded format=cont-en 2005.8.28)
39158 strings of total length 604434
485517 memory locations dumped; current usage is 247&482041
36061 multiletter control sequences
\font\nullfont=nullfont
\font\*12ptrmtf*=ec-lmr12
3040 words of font info for 1 preloaded font
168 hyphenation exceptions
Hyphenation trie of length 54364 has 2523 ops out of 35111
   194 for language 19
   194 for language 18
   248 for language 17
   248 for language 16
   63 for language 15
   63 for language 14
   265 for language 13
   265 for language 12
   35 for language 11
   35 for language 10
   7 for language 9
   7 for language 8
   29 for language 7
   88 for language 6
   88 for language 5
   235 for language 4
   235 for language 3
   224 for language 2
Output written on cont-en.dvi (1 page, 372 bytes).

* Re: New context version
@ 2005-08-29 13:22       ` r.ermers
From: r.ermers @ 2005-08-29 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

It just happened to be in my Miktex system. It was wrong in the sense that it was outdated, but may be still working for Latex. My earlier version of Context worked normally with it. The new version almost did.

This is one of the reasons I tend to postpone updates.

Robert

> Rob Ermers wrote:
>

>> Hi everybody,
>>

>> Taco solved the problem in a private exchange of emails this evening
>> by suggesting, based on the log file I sent him, that the ushyphmax file
>> in my system could be in the wrong format. It was wrong indeed.
>
> where did you get that faulty file from?
>
> Hans

> Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
> Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
> tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
> | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: New context version
@ 2005-08-29 13:19     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-08-29 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob Ermers wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Taco solved the problem in a private exchange of emails this evening
> by suggesting, based on the log file I sent him, that the ushyphmax
> file in my system could be in the wrong format. It was wrong indeed.

where did you get that faulty file from?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: New context version
@ 2005-08-28 21:43   ` Rob Ermers
From: Rob Ermers @ 2005-08-28 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

Taco solved the problem in a private exchange of emails this evening by
suggesting, based on the log file I sent him, that the ushyphmax file in
my system could be in the wrong format. It was wrong indeed.

It should contain the string \pattern{ ... patterns ... }.

Thanks a lot, Taco, I am much indebted to you.

Kind regards,

Robert

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Rob Ermers wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been trying to get Context working properly for the last 4
>> hours or so. I don't know what to do.
>

> I'm baffled by this message as well, and the only thing I can come up
> with is to try renaming or deleting this file:
>
>> (J:\tex\localtexmf\tex\context\base\./type-loc.tex))
>

> If that doesn't help, please mail me the *full* log of the cont-en run.
>
> Good luck, Taco

* Re: New context version
@ 2005-08-28 18:38 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-08-28 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-08-28 16:55 Rob Ermers
From: Rob Ermers @ 2005-08-28 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have been trying to get Context working properly for the last 4 hours
or so. I don't know what to do.

I found out that the commands
\defaultlanguage  \dogetupsometextprefix
occur in a file called  lang-lab.tex.

But I don't know what to do with this knowledge.

I am ahead a deadline for a publication. Help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Robert

                                                   #3\endcsname \csname
#2\de...

       [not found]         ` <20011106150524.2ac086b4.taco@elvenkind.com>
@ 2001-11-07  0:25         ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-11-07  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> >Can you tell me what idle process? (There may be many reasons...)
>
> kapm-idled :
>
> reports 50 % processor time when idle, eats up 10 % runtime when not
> docked, but not when docked.

This is ok. Just power saving (when needed), really does nothing, does
not eat any cpu time. Can be disabled by compiling a kernel without
apm support (kapm: kernel apm).

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: New context version...
@ 2001-11-06 15:25             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-06 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:58 PM 11/6/2001 +0100, David Antos wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 03:05:24PM +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > This is unrelated. I got curious and did some searching on the web.  The
> > kapm-idled is a kernel thread that executes the HLT instruction if the
> kernel
> > has nothing better to do. Reason (sort of correct): the chip consumes less
> > power when executing HLT than when doing nothing ;)
>
>Hi, Taco was faster than me and absolutelly correct. The power saving is not
>the only reason, each Un*x has a process with the lowest possible priority
>which runs when there is nothing to do. Some kind of that behaviour occurs in
>all OSs. One possibility is to execute HLT, another is an infinite loop.
>HLT is
>prefered as it saves energy and makes CPU cooler.

That's interesting! When I run linux undocked i'll do another test and see
if there's a priority bug involved.

I just ran a couple of tests with docked linux and the maps test file runs
in some 3 seconds less that windows, partly because mpost runs smoother
from within tex under linux [i'm still hoping that fabrice will make this
nice mpost dll that stays in mem]

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

@ 2001-11-06 14:58           ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2001-11-06 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 03:05:24PM +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> This is unrelated. I got curious and did some searching on the web.  The
> kapm-idled is a kernel thread that executes the HLT instruction if the kernel
> has nothing better to do. Reason (sort of correct): the chip consumes less
> power when executing HLT than when doing nothing ;)

Hi, Taco was faster than me and absolutelly correct. The power saving is not
the only reason, each Un*x has a process with the lowest possible priority
which runs when there is nothing to do. Some kind of that behaviour occurs in
all OSs. One possibility is to execute HLT, another is an infinite loop. HLT is
prefered as it saves energy and makes CPU cooler.

D.A.

* Re: New context version...
@ 2001-11-06 14:50             ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-11-06 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the off-topicality but a propos the idle time activity... I keep
my 3 CPU's nicely overheated running tasks for
http://members.ud.com/projects/cancer/ see also in Dutch
http://www.goddijn.com/cows.htm

> > a kernel thread that executes the HLT
> > instruction if the kernel has nothing
> > better to do. Reason (sort of correct):
> > the chip consumes less power when
> > executing HLT than when doing nothing ;)

> One possibility is to execute HLT, another
> is an infinite loop. HLT is prefered as it
> saves energy and makes CPU cooler

Groet, Frans

* Re: New context version...
@ 2001-11-06  9:33       ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]         ` <20011106150524.2ac086b4.taco@elvenkind.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-06  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-11-05 19:50     ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2001-11-05 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-11-05 15:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-05 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:46 PM 11/5/2001 +0100, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>Hi,
>

> > >Perhaps my ConTeXt version is too old?
> >
> > maybe, since this one works with the enco-def definitions.
>
> > PS. I got the password for our new www server so i jhope that i can upload
> > something new this week. On complicated jobs context is now 30-50% faster
> > so it'w worth upgrading -)
>
>did you switch to nts or why is it faster??? :)
>
>is it the one found on
>
>http://www.ntg.nl/context/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip

no, it's my own latest greatest [i now process the 800+ page highly
interactive maps biblio (xml coded) in 90 sec compared to 147 sec begin oct
2001, and the xml heavy mmlprimer in 23 sec compared to 35] interestingly
linux is 10% slower (maybe due to some funny zomby idle process that i
cannot kill).

if only calling mp was faster ... (rather slow under win2k)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* New context version...
@ 2001-11-05 14:46 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-05 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> >Perhaps my ConTeXt version is too old?
>
> maybe, since this one works with the enco-def definitions.

> PS. I got the password for our new www server so i jhope that i can upload
> something new this week. On complicated jobs context is now 30-50% faster
> so it'w worth upgrading -)

did you switch to nts or why is it faster??? :)

is it the one found on

http://www.ntg.nl/context/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip

???

Viele Grüße,