* Re: Elided page numbers in registers
       [not found] <20050831142920.905D812815@ronja.ntg.nl>
@ 2005-09-01  9:27 ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2005-09-01  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I said:

> Followup: I would be willing to help to code this if it doesn't exist
> (I have some experience with such systems) if someone can point me at
> the right bit of code to look at (things seem to be changing around
> texutils, newtexexec etc. so I don't want to start at the wrong
> place).

To add a further dimension: I'm seeing some other strange behaviours in
a large (15 page) index to a substantial (650 page) book which would be
difficult to reproduce in a test package - to do with ordering of
multiple page references within individual entries, etc.

I would be keen to work on the code if that was possible, rather than
just list problems and hope for others to fix them :-). But I'd need a
point in the right direction.

Thanks,

Duncan

* modules.pdf: release 2005.08.31 for tomorrow
@ 2005-09-01 11:39   ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-09-01 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was busy, so i planned to make this  new release for tomorrow.

luigi

* Re: Elided page numbers in registers
@ 2005-10-06 18:58 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-10-06 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duncan Hothersall wrote:
> On 31 Aug I wrote:
>

>>I have page ranges in my index, such as 1/1-1/3, or 2/24-2/26.
>>
>>I would like these ranges to be elided - in other words, the first one
>>would read 1/1-3 (remove repeated chapter number), and the second would
>>read 2/24-6 (remove repeated chapter number and also the repeated 2 in
>>page number).
>>
>>Question: is there an already existing system to do this? I guess no :-)
>>
>>Followup: I would be willing to help to code this if it doesn't exist (I
>>have some experience with such systems) if someone can point me at the
>>right bit of code to look at (things seem to be changing around
>>texutils, newtexexec etc. so I don't want to start at the wrong place).
>

> Sorry to be a pain, but can anyone help with this? I'm converting a
> legacy system, in which everything (cross referencing, tables of
> contents, indices) was hand-coded in plain tex and Perl, across to
> ConTeXt. The advantage of having hand-coded the indexing stuff was that
> I could easily add features like eliding, or funny sort orders. I now
> need to reproduce the same output. I suspect I could apply the same
> techniques to the ConTeXt code, but I don't want to embark on a fool's
> errand if (a) it's already done somewhere, or

My experience: It is not implemented in (old) texutil.pl. It is even not
implemented in simpler only-page-number case.
In the code there is secret switch '$CollapseEntries', by default it is
off. Switching manually on leads to all index page entries collaps to
one (generally noncontinuous) range.

The same sad result you obtain if you use startregister...stopregister pair.

If you know Perl it is not difficult to insert such stuff for one
application. It is very difficult to create a general solution.

I have no (positive and deep) experience with new ruby texutil equivalent.

vit

 > (b) the code I hack is about to be replaced.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Duncan

Ing. Vít Zýka, Ph.D.                         TYPOkvítek

database publishing              databazove publikovani
data maintaining and typesetting in typographic quality
priprava dat a jejich sazba v typograficke kvalite

tel.: (+420) 777 198 189     www: http://typokvitek.com

* Re: Elided page numbers in registers
@ 2005-10-06 10:37 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2005-10-06 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31 Aug I wrote:

> I have page ranges in my index, such as 1/1-1/3, or 2/24-2/26.
>
> I would like these ranges to be elided - in other words, the first one
> would read 1/1-3 (remove repeated chapter number), and the second would
> read 2/24-6 (remove repeated chapter number and also the repeated 2 in
> page number).
>
> Question: is there an already existing system to do this? I guess no :-)
>
> Followup: I would be willing to help to code this if it doesn't exist (I
> have some experience with such systems) if someone can point me at the
> right bit of code to look at (things seem to be changing around
> texutils, newtexexec etc. so I don't want to start at the wrong place).

Sorry to be a pain, but can anyone help with this? I'm converting a
legacy system, in which everything (cross referencing, tables of
contents, indices) was hand-coded in plain tex and Perl, across to
ConTeXt. The advantage of having hand-coded the indexing stuff was that
I could easily add features like eliding, or funny sort orders. I now
need to reproduce the same output. I suspect I could apply the same
techniques to the ConTeXt code, but I don't want to embark on a fool's
errand if (a) it's already done somewhere, or (b) the code I hack is
about to be replaced.

Thanks,

Duncan

* Re: Elided page numbers in registers
@ 2005-08-31 14:22 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-08-31 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duncan Hothersall wrote:
> Another question on registers (just getting into indexing!).
>
> I have a book which numbers its pages by chapter, and so page numbers
> are 1/1, 1/2 ... for the pages of chapter 1, and then 2/1, 2/2 ... for
> the pages of chapter 2.
>
> I have page ranges in my index, such as 1/1-1/3, or 2/24-2/26.
>
> I would like these ranges to be elided - in other words, the first one
> would read 1/1-3 (remove repeated chapter number), and the second would
> read 2/24-6 (remove repeated chapter number and also the repeated 2 in
> page number).
>
> Question: is there an already existing system to do this? I guess no :-)

And I add one more related question:

   Is it possible to mix \start...\stopregister with just \register?
   According to this minimal example not. If there is not some secret for
   me, can it be extended?

Please, focus on Duncan:
\defineregister[Name][Names]
\setupregister[Name][pagestyle=\it]