From: Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: Toward an errata sheet.
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:41:07 +0300	[thread overview]

John R. Culleton wrote:
> Perhaps we all should exchange annotations where there is a typo or
> other error we have uncovered. It would be a kind of group errata
> sheet.

Yes, this would be a very good idea - for example I bumped into the
combination 'bug' so long ago that I'd already forgotten about it; but
at a time I both knew that it existed and how to fix it, so it's kind of
stupid that you had to stumble on the same problem.

Here's a stupid one from the big manual in English; doesn't bother me,
but would confuse a newcomer (and yes, I checked this one with the
online version, it still exists):

-------
on p. 241 every single example says
\exernalfigure[blaa] instead of \externalfigure
   ^^^
--------

I think contextgarden/wiki seems like an ideal place where to put these
(that way we also avoid duplicates). I'm not very familiar with the
system and find it somewhat hard to navigate, but if somebody points me
to the correct direction, I'll enter anything I find in the manuals...

The beginner's manual has some 'interesting' errors, too, and I assume
the Dutch versions have their problems too, so maybe a separate
entry/page for each manual and language?

Sometimes a simple typo causes lots of frustration, so I'm all for this
suggestion!

mari
(...using ConteXt to write manuals, guaranteed to come with typos,
sometimes in awkward places...)