* How this LaTeX code could be translated into ConTeXt?
@ 2005-09-02 13:15 Jilani Khaldi
From: Jilani Khaldi @ 2005-09-02 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,
Migrating to Context, I need to translate this code from Latex
\begin{table}
\begin{tabularx}{16cm}{|c|X|X|}
\hline
blabla & blabla & blabla\\
\hline
\hline
\end{tabularx}
\end{table}

Any hint?
Thanks!

--
// Jilani KHALDI
http://www.archsf.org

* Re: How this LaTeX code could be translated into ConTeXt?
@ 2005-09-02 13:34 ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-09-02 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jilani Khaldi wrote:

> Hi All,
> Migrating to Context,

for italian users there is also

http://www.guit.sssup.it/forum/

> I need to translate this code from Latex
> \begin{table}
> \begin{tabularx}{16cm}{|c|X|X|}
> \hline
> blabla & blabla & blabla\\
> \hline
> \hline
> \end{tabularx}
> \end{table}
>
> Any hint?

Do you see
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Tables_Overview

luigi

* Re: How this LaTeX code could be translated into ConTeXt?
@ 2005-09-02 17:28   ` Jilani Khaldi
From: Jilani Khaldi @ 2005-09-02 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> for italian users there is also
>
> http://www.guit.sssup.it/forum/

Grazie, non ne ho bisogno. Se non trovo aiuto qui figuriamoci se lo
trovo lì.

>> I need to translate this code from Latex
>> \begin{table}
>> \begin{tabularx}{16cm}{|c|X|X|}
>> \hline
>> blabla & blabla & blabla\\
>> \hline
>> \hline
>> \end{tabularx}
>> \end{table}
>>
>> Any hint?
>

> Do you see
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Tables_Overview

I already have seen there and on the manual, but I didn't find anything
about what I am asking for.

jk

--
// Jilani KHALDI
http://www.archsf.org

* update modules.pdf to latest release
@ 2005-09-02 17:44     ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-09-02 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Update modules.pdf to 2005.08.31 distro, with pdftex 1.30.2

luigi

* Re: How this LaTeX code could be translated into ConTeXt?
@ 2005-09-02 19:00     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-02 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jilani Khaldi wrote:

>> Do you see
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Tables_Overview
>>
> I already have seen there and on the manual, but I didn't find anything
> about what I am asking for.

I would appreciate a description of what you are asking for. I find
example LaTeX code without explanations less than intructive.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: How this LaTeX code could be translated into ConTeXt?
@ 2005-09-02 22:39       ` Jilani Khaldi
From: Jilani Khaldi @ 2005-09-02 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I would appreciate a description of what you are asking for. I find
> example LaTeX code without explanations less than intructive.

I just want to know how to have a table in Context with cells which can
contain many lines each; something like this:

|Header1                   | header2 | header 3   |
|This is a text splitted   | 2005    |Thank you   |
|in 3 lines because it     |         |for the tip!|
|is very long              |         |            |

jk

--

@ 2005-09-03  7:11         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-03  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jilani Khaldi wrote:

>> I would appreciate a description of what you are asking for. I find
>> example LaTeX code without explanations less than intructive.
>
> I just want to know how to have a table in Context with cells which can
> contain many lines each; something like this:

   \starttabulate[|p(4cm)|p(2cm)|p(2cm)|]
   \NC Header1                   \NC header2 \NC header 3   \NC\NR
   \NC This is a text splitted in 3 lines because it is very long
               \NC 2005    \NC Thank you   for the tip!\NC\NR
   \stoptabulate

Bye, Taco

* Re: How this LaTeX code could be translated into ConTeXt?
@ 2005-09-03 10:58           ` Mojca Miklavec
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-09-03 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Jilani Khaldi wrote:
> >
> > I just want to know how to have a table in Context with cells which can
> > contain many lines each; something like this:
>
>    \starttabulate[|p(4cm)|p(2cm)|p(2cm)|]
>    \NC Header1                   \NC header2 \NC header 3   \NC\NR
>    \NC This is a text splitted in 3 lines because it is very long
>                \NC 2005    \NC Thank you   for the tip!\NC\NR
>    \stoptabulate

Or (in the spirit of Taco's example):

\bTABLE
\setupTABLE[c][1][width=4cm]
\setupTABLE[c][2,3][width=2cm] % 2nd and 3rd column
  \bTR
    \bTD Header1 \eTD
    \bTD header2 \eTD
    \bTD header3 \eTD
  \eTR
    \bTD This is a text splitted in 3 lines because it is very long \eTD
    \bTD 2005 \eTD
    \bTD Thank you for the tip! \eTD
\eTABLE

If text in a cell is very long, it will be splitted in more lines
automatically, so that the table of width \textwidth will be produced.
\bTABLE ... \eTABLE is already very clever, however, I don't know if
you can do something similar as in the LaTeX example you provided, so
that the overall table width is fixed to exactly 16 cm (also for a
very small table, which should artificially be expanded) without
having to provide the width of every single column.

See enattab.pdf for more details about natural tables.

Mojca

* Re: How this LaTeX code could be translated into ConTeXt?
@ 2005-09-03 11:01             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-09-03 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, a little mistake, here's a fixed version:

@ 2005-09-03 12:31             ` Jilani Khaldi
From: Jilani Khaldi @ 2005-09-03 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>>Jilani Khaldi wrote:
>>

>>>I just want to know how to have a table in Context with cells which can
>>>contain many lines each; something like this:
>>>

>>   \starttabulate[|p(4cm)|p(2cm)|p(2cm)|]
>>   \NC Header1                   \NC header2 \NC header 3   \NC\NR
>>   \NC This is a text splitted in 3 lines because it is very long
>>               \NC 2005    \NC Thank you   for the tip!\NC\NR
>>   \stoptabulate
>>

>Or (in the spirit of Taco's example):
>
>\bTABLE
>\setupTABLE[c][1][width=4cm]
>\setupTABLE[c][2,3][width=2cm] % 2nd and 3rd column
>  \bTR
>    \bTD Header1 \eTD
>    \bTD header2 \eTD
>    \bTD header3 \eTD
>  \eTR
>    \bTD This is a text splitted in 3 lines because it is very long \eTD
>    \bTD 2005 \eTD
>    \bTD Thank you for the tip! \eTD
>\eTABLE

Thank you!

More precisally:

@ 2005-09-03 13:30             ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-09-03 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>Jilani Khaldi wrote:
>>
>>>I just want to know how to have a table in Context with cells which can
>>>contain many lines each; something like this:
>>
>>   \starttabulate[|p(4cm)|p(2cm)|p(2cm)|]
>>   \NC Header1                   \NC header2 \NC header 3   \NC\NR
>>   \NC This is a text splitted in 3 lines because it is very long
>>               \NC 2005    \NC Thank you   for the tip!\NC\NR
>>   \stoptabulate
>

> Or (in the spirit of Taco's example):
>
> \bTABLE
> \setupTABLE[c][1][width=4cm]
> \setupTABLE[c][2,3][width=2cm] % 2nd and 3rd column
>   \bTR
>     \bTD Header1 \eTD
>     \bTD header2 \eTD
>     \bTD header3 \eTD
>   \eTR
>     \bTD This is a text splitted in 3 lines because it is very long \eTD
>     \bTD 2005 \eTD
>     \bTD Thank you for the tip! \eTD
> \eTABLE
>
> If text in a cell is very long, it will be splitted in more lines
> automatically, so that the table of width \textwidth will be produced.
> \bTABLE ... \eTABLE is already very clever, however, I don't know if
> you can do something similar as in the LaTeX example you provided, so
> that the overall table width is fixed to exactly 16 cm (also for a

\bTABLE[option=stretch,textwidth=16cm]
\eTABLE

vit

> very small table, which should artificially be expanded) without
> having to provide the width of every single column.
>
> See enattab.pdf for more details about natural tables.
>
> Mojca

Ing. Vít Zýka, Ph.D.                         TYPOkvítek

database publishing              databazove publikovani
data maintaining and typesetting in typographic quality
priprava dat a jejich sazba v typograficke kvalite

tel.: (+420) 777 198 189     www: http://typokvitek.com

* different border thicknesses in natural tables
@ 2005-09-04 22:00               ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-09-04 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Subject was: How this LaTeX code could be translated into ConTeXt?)

Vit Zyka wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> If text in a cell is very long, it will be splitted in more lines
>> automatically, so that the table of width \textwidth will be produced.
>> \bTABLE ... \eTABLE is already very clever, however, I don't know if
>> you can do something similar as in the LaTeX example you provided, so
>> that the overall table width is fixed to exactly 16 cm (also for a
>

> \bTABLE[option=stretch,textwidth=16cm]
> \eTABLE

Thank you, Vit! I'm glad that the example on the wiki was wrong about
that (there was a "not possible" mark) :)

And here another question. I think it has already been asked a couple of
times, but perhaps not in this context: I would like the first row (or
column or the whole table) to have a thicker border, like in this example:

*===*===*===*
H   |   |   H
*===*===*===*
H   |   |   H
*---*---*---*
H   |   |   H
*===*===*===*

(H,=: thick; |,-: thin)

There is a dirty solution for it: prepare 16 different border types with
Metafun (every possible combination of thin and thick border lines) and
set the proper one for every single cell touching at least one thick border.

A dash could be used to define an additional frame spanning over more
than one row or column:

\setupTABLE
    [1-3] % not equal to [1,2,3]; 1-3 handled as a single frame
    [1,2-3] % in this case almost equivalent to [1,1-3]
    [rulethickness=2pt]

or as in this example:

*---*---*---*
|   |   |   |
*===*===*===*
|   |   |   |
*---*---*---*
|   |   |   |
*---*---*---*

\setupTABLE
    [1-3]
    [1] % or [1-1]
    [frame=off,bottomframe=on,rulethickness=2pt]

(Special care should be taken where nx= or ny= is used and crosses the
border.)

Does there already exist any similar functionality?

What about commands like:
     [left|right|top|bottom]offset=
     [left|right|top|bottom]framecolor=
     [left|right|top|bottom]rulethickness=
in \setupframed?

(the last two options may lead to uneven effects in the corners when
misused)

Thank you,
	Mojca Miklavec