* Installation of ConTeXt within TeTeX 3.0
@ 2005-09-06  9:43 Pearson, Mark (Capita Symonds)
From: Pearson, Mark (Capita Symonds) @ 2005-09-06  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been trying to install ConTeXt (ver 2005.08.31) within teTeX 3.0,
installed from source exactly as described in

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation

but have run into problems.

Everything goes smoothly until I get to the section entitled 'Install
the zip archive'.

When I type 'texexec -make -all'  I get the following error (after much
other output):

	language        : patterns da for da loaded (n=6)

(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/context/patterns/lang-da.pat
	! Nonletter.
	l.24 .s[
	        aring]3
	?

I tried simply responding 'R' to continue running silently but when I
come to the next step:

    cp -a /root/.texmf-var/web2c/*
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-var/web2c

The .texmf-var/web2c folder is empty, so nothing useful gets copied.

Currently, typing 'texexec --version' gives me the following:

	TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

	       texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-
2005
	       texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-
2004
	kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-en.fmt
	fmtutil: no info for format `cont-en'.
	kpathsea: Running mktexfmt context.fmt
	fmtutil: no info for format `context'.
	           tex : unknown
	       context : ver: 2005.01.31
	       cont-en : unknown

which indicates to me that I should start again from scratch.

I have followed the instructions in the above-mentioned Wiki page to the
letter (although I wouldn't necessarily know if something had gone
astray
along the way given the complexity of TeX/ConTeXt etc.) This includes:

* removing the default TeTeX installation in Fedora Core 4
* installing TeTeX from the latest source package
* installing pdfetex update
* installing MetaPost update
* installing Latin Modern Font update

Could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Pearson BSc (hons) MSc DPhil
IT Consultant
Capita Symonds
The Capita Building, Kingmoor Business Park
Carlisle. CA6 4SJ.
United Kingdom.

Tel: +44 1228 673023
Fax: +44 1228 673111
Web: www.capitasymonds.co.uk

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this e-mail for the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

* Re: Installation of ConTeXt within TeTeX 3.0
@ 2005-09-06 10:14 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-06 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mark (again),

Pearson, Mark (Capita Symonds) wrote:
> I've been trying to install ConTeXt (ver 2005.08.31) within teTeX 3.0,
> installed from source exactly as described in
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation
>
> but have run into problems.
>
> Everything goes smoothly until I get to the section entitled 'Install
> the zip archive'.
>
> When I type 'texexec -make -all'  I get the following error (after much
> other output):
>
> 	language        : patterns da for da loaded (n=6)
>
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/context/patterns/lang-da.pat
> 	! Nonletter.
> 	l.24 .s[
> 	        aring]3
> 	?

This is quite odd. Can you email me the complete output of the command
up to this point? It probably either finds a file it shouldn't or cannot
find a file it should. I can only (attempt to) debug this from the
complete output, your report is just not enough. Just run something like
  "texexec --make --all 2&>1 > term.log" and wait a minute or so before
killing the task.  Please email me personally, not the mailing list.

> I tried simply responding 'R' to continue running silently but when I
> come to the next step:
>
>     cp -a /root/.texmf-var/web2c/*
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-var/web2c
>
> The .texmf-var/web2c folder is empty, so nothing useful gets copied.

Can you check wat texexec says just before it returns you to the prompt?
Mine said:

  used engineformatpath : /root/.texmf-var/web2c/pdfetex/

             TeX binary : pdfetex
              format(s) : en nl metafun mptopdf

         total run time : 35 seconds

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Installation of ConTeXt within TeTeX 3.0
@ 2005-09-06 12:41 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-06 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pearson, Mark (Capita Symonds) wrote:
> I've been trying to install ConTeXt (ver 2005.08.31) within teTeX 3.0,
> installed from source exactly as described in
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation
>
> but have run into problems.
>
> Everything goes smoothly until I get to the section entitled 'Install
> the zip archive'.

I think I've found the source of your problem: teTeX's context files
are in the tree beneath /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/. These should
not be there, because they take precendence over the files in
texmf-local. So, you end up with a mixed installation (old macros,
new patterns), and that is the cause of the error you got.

If you followed the QuickInstall instructions, the teTeX version of
context should have ended up below /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist.
Did you perhaps make a mistake there, or did you follow another
installation instruction ?

Cheers, Taco