* help at layout
@ 2005-09-12 21:48 Boris Pedrofiets
From: Boris Pedrofiets @ 2005-09-12 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: help at layout
@ 2005-09-13  9:22 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-13  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Boris Pedrofiets wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to make a layout where a vertical line is putted at the rigth of
> the left margin. Capters and paragraphs must indent in the left margin,
> and be boxed.
> Someting like:

The important trick is to define a special command that does the
typesetting  of the chapter number + text, I hope you're not too
scared of low-level TeX, because in the actual example below I've
added  some low-level stuff to fiddle with the outdent.

This is the basic setup for the chapter command:

   \setupcolors[state=start]

   \def\Boxedchapter#1#2%
     {\framed[background=color,
              backgroundcolor=white]{#1.~#2}}

   \setuphead[chapter][command=\Boxedchapter]

The color commands are needed so that the background of the
chapter head overwrites the line in the margin. That line
is a single command, btw:

   \setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][state=start,rightframe=on]

Also, I've added a \blank in the example below so that a bit
of the line sticks out above the framed text, that looks
better, I think.

You can look up other options for \setupbackgrounds, \framed and
\setuphead in http://texshow.contextgarden.net, or use your local
'texshow' command.

Greetings, Taco

% start
\setupcolors[state=start]

\setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][state=start,rightframe=on]

\newdimen\outdentchapter

\outdentchapter=1cm % change this for more or less outdent

\def\Boxedchapter#1#2%
    {\advance\hsize\outdentchapter
     \vbox
       {\moveleft\outdentchapter
        \vbox
           {\blank[2*line]
            \framed[background=color,
                    backgroundcolor=white]{#1.~#2}}}}

\setuphead[chapter][command=\Boxedchapter]

\starttext

\chapter{The first chapter}

\input knuth

\stoptext
% end

* Re: help at layout
@ 2005-09-13 14:37 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Boris Pedrofiets wrote:
> Thank you Taco.
> This is exactly what i needed!
>
> btw. I think I need to do layouts more often. What is good litterature
> about this subject?

Just a few starters, hoping other people will can add stuff

Do you want 'hands-on material'?
   - dunno.

Or 'study material'?
   - R. Brinkhurst's 'The elements of typographic style'
   - Edward.R.Tufte (who writes about the presentation of information)

Or documentation on 'How do I do this in ConTeXt'?
   - the standard context manuals have lots of examples
   - Knuth's TeX book
   - there are lots of things and pointers at http://contextgarden.net
   - ask this list

Or just some fun stuff on the web?
   - http://www.philobiblon.com

Taco

* Re: help at layout
@ 2005-09-13 13:42 Boris Pedrofiets

From:  Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
Subject:  Re: [NTG-context] help at layout
Date:  Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:22:21 +0200

>Boris Pedrofiets wrote:
>>Hello,
>>I want to make a layout where a vertical line is putted at the rigth of
>>the left margin. Capters and paragraphs must indent in the left margin,
>>and be boxed.
>>Someting like:
>
>The important trick is to define a special command that does the
>typesetting  of the chapter number + text, I hope you're not too
>scared of low-level TeX, because in the actual example below I've
>added  some low-level stuff to fiddle with the outdent.
>
>This is the basic setup for the chapter command:
>

>   \setupcolors[state=start]
>
>   \def\Boxedchapter#1#2%
>     {\framed[background=color,
>              backgroundcolor=white]{#1.~#2}}
>
>   \setuphead[chapter][command=\Boxedchapter]
>

>The color commands are needed so that the background of the
>chapter head overwrites the line in the margin. That line
>is a single command, btw:
>
>   \setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][state=start,rightframe=on]
>

>Also, I've added a \blank in the example below so that a bit
>of the line sticks out above the framed text, that looks
>better, I think.
>

>You can look up other options for \setupbackgrounds, \framed and
>\setuphead in http://texshow.contextgarden.net, or use your local 'texshow'
>command.
>

>Greetings, Taco
>

>% start
>\setupcolors[state=start]
>
>\setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][state=start,rightframe=on]
>
>\newdimen\outdentchapter
>
>\outdentchapter=1cm % change this for more or less outdent
>
>\def\Boxedchapter#1#2%
>    {\advance\hsize\outdentchapter
>     \vbox
>       {\moveleft\outdentchapter
>        \vbox
>           {\blank[2*line]
>            \framed[background=color,
>                    backgroundcolor=white]{#1.~#2}}}}
>
>\setuphead[chapter][command=\Boxedchapter]
>
>\starttext
>
>\chapter{The first chapter}
>
>\input knuth
>
>\stoptext
>% end

Stuur een voiceclip met MSN Messenger 7.5
http://www1.imagine-msn.com/Messenger/Video.aspx