From: Christopher Creutzig <christopher@creutzig.de>
Subject: Re: utf-based lang-* files?
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:25:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Adam Lindsay wrote:
>>Is it possible to simply enclose the file in a
>>\startregime[utf]...\stopregime pair or do I risk havoc by doing this?
>

> Well, if you're using a regime, it still (usually) depends on symbolic
> character names being defined under the hood. Also, such an approach

 Sure.  But editing the file is oh so much easier when I can just type
\def\japChapterNumber#1{第#1章}
than if I have to look up the unicode numbers first and type
\def\japChapterNumber{\uchar{123}{44}#1\uchar{122}{224}}

> (explicitly calling \startregime[utf]) doesn't make XeTeX as happy as it
> could be (XeTeX is happiest if you just pass through Unicode characters.

 That implies that ConTeXt should switch off all conversions when
running in XeTeX and seeing \startregime[utf], right?  (I certainly want
 to use the whole thing in XeTeX, if I ever do start it.  I would prefer
not to make the code depend on that.  I could live with som \if...
switches at the beginning and end, sure.)

Christopher