* getvariable
@ 2005-10-05 21:12 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-10-05 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I thought I had understood at least some aspects of macros, but it
turns out I'm as lost as always. Here's my problem:
I'm writing a module which will have a \setupcommand. The value is
given in a [key=pair] list, so I thought I could use \getvariable.
What I have is

\def\setupcommand{\setvariables[namespace]} % setting up the namespace
\setvariables[namespace][key=value,otherkey=value] % initializing the
keys

% And now I want to wrap my values up in a conditional statement:
\doifelse{\getvariable{namespace}{key}}{value}
    {do something}
    {do something else}

When I put the \doifelse statement into my source files, the test
works; the key is assigned the value that is in the setupcommand. But
this doesn't work at runtime: either \getvariable{namespace}{key}
always has the value I assign in the line \setvariables[namespace]
[key=value,otherkey=value], or if I comment out that line, the
variable is empty. I can see why this is the case: the setupcommand
is read AFTER the module, so at runtime, the variable is not assigned
yet. So my approach seems fundamentally flawed. What could I do instead?

Thanks for your help

Thomas

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06  7:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-10-06  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> I thought I had understood at least some aspects of macros, but it
> turns out I'm as lost as always. Here's my problem:
> I'm writing a module which will have a \setupcommand. The value is
> given in a [key=pair] list, so I thought I could use \getvariable.
> What I have is
>
> \def\setupcommand{\setvariables[namespace]} % setting up the namespace
> \setvariables[namespace][key=value,otherkey=value] % initializing the
> keys
>
> % And now I want to wrap my values up in a conditional statement:
> \doifelse{\getvariable{namespace}{key}}{value}
>    {do something}
>    {do something else}
>
> When I put the \doifelse statement into my source files, the test
> works; the key is assigned the value that is in the setupcommand. But
> this doesn't work at runtime: either \getvariable{namespace}{key}
> always has the value I assign in the line \setvariables[namespace]
> [key=value,otherkey=value], or if I comment out that line, the
> variable is empty. I can see why this is the case: the setupcommand
> is read AFTER the module, so at runtime, the variable is not assigned
> yet. So my approach seems fundamentally flawed. What could I do instead?

I'm not sure what you mean but there is the following mechanism:

\startsetups namespace:reset

  \doifelse{\getvariable{namespace}{key}}{value}
     {do something}
     {do something else}

\stopsetups

\startsetups namespace:set

  \doifelse{\getvariable{namespace}{key}}{value}
     {do something}
     {do something else}

\stopsetups

\setvariables[namespace][reset=namespace;reset,set=namespace:set]

now, when you say:

  \setvariables[namespace][key=value]

first the 'namespace:reset' setups will be executed, then the assignment, and afterwards the 'namespace:set' setups.

So, you can have actions before and after assignments.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06  8:53   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-10-06  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I was trying to be general instead of specific and was
unclear. Here's what I want:

\usemodule[MyCrop]
\setupcrop[mark=camera,info=yes] % or \setupcrop[mark=cross,info=no]
or any combination

My idea was to have nested \doifelse statements in the module itself
(I got this idea from page-lay.tex):

\doifelse{\getvariable{Crop}{mark}{camera}
   {==> make page background camera-crops}
   {\doifelse{\getvariable{Crop}{mark}{cross}
      {==> make page background cross-crops}
      {do nothing}

My problem right now is that the assignment by the user given in the
\setup-command is not read before the \doifelse within the module
gets executed, so it always defaults to the "do nothing" part because
the variables are empty. I hope that's clearer...

Thanks for your help! The different backgrounds are working, I just
need this last piece to process user input.

Best

Thomas

On Oct 6, 2005, at 9:31 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06 10:01     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2005-10-06 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas.

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Sorry, I was trying to be general instead of specific and was  unclear.
> Here's what I want:
>
> \usemodule[MyCrop]
> \setupcrop[mark=camera,info=yes] % or \setupcrop[mark=cross,info=no]  or
> any combination

This should work. The only thing that is missing, is a call (at the end
of \setupcrop) to a separate routine (based on your \doifelse
construct), which sets up the background.

Or have i missed something? :)

Peter

> My idea was to have nested \doifelse statements in the module itself  (I
> got this idea from page-lay.tex):
>
> \doifelse{\getvariable{Crop}{mark}{camera}
>   {==> make page background camera-crops}
>   {\doifelse{\getvariable{Crop}{mark}{cross}
>      {==> make page background cross-crops}
>      {do nothing}
>
> My problem right now is that the assignment by the user given in the
> \setup-command is not read before the \doifelse within the module  gets
> executed, so it always defaults to the "do nothing" part because  the
> variables are empty. I hope that's clearer...
>
> Thanks for your help! The different backgrounds are working, I just
> need this last piece to process user input.
>
> Best
>
> Thomas
>
> On Oct 6, 2005, at 9:31 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what you mean

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06 11:06       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-10-06 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter, thanks for your help yet again!

On Oct 6, 2005, at 12:01 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:

> This should work.

OK, so I'm not completely off the mark...

> The only thing that is missing, is a call (at the end
> of \setupcrop) to a separate routine (based on your \doifelse
> construct), which sets up the background.
>
> Or have i missed something? :)

Actually, this part of the code works. I have defined overlays/layers
and a variable PageBackground and in my doifelse want this

\let\PageBackground\empty
\def\CameraMarks{Camera}
\def\CrossMarks{Cross}

\doifelse{\getvariable{Crop}{mark}{camera}
   {\let\PageBackground\CameraMarks}
   {\doifelse{\getvariable{Crop}{mark}{cross}
      {\let\PageBackground\CrossMarks}
      {\relax}

For debugging purposes, I just have this

\doifelse{\GetMark}{camera}
   {mark defined as \getvariable{Crop}{mark}}
   {mark not defined: \getvariable{Crop}{mark}}

which will print out a message. \getvariable{Crop}{mark} however, is
either empty or has the value I predefine when I initialize it, it
does not take the user-supplied value within the module (if I insert
this doifelse thing into the document, it does return the correct
value because then the \setup-command has been read before.)

Thanks, and best

Thomas

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06 12:45         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2005-10-06 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Peter, thanks for your help yet again!
>
> On Oct 6, 2005, at 12:01 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> This should work.
>

> OK, so I'm not completely off the mark...

maybe we're both :)

>> The only thing that is missing, is a call (at the end
>> of \setupcrop) to a separate routine (based on your \doifelse
>> construct), which sets up the background.
>>
>> Or have i missed something? :)
>>
> Actually, this part of the code works. I have defined overlays/layers
> and a variable PageBackground and in my doifelse want this
>
> \let\PageBackground\empty
> \def\CameraMarks{Camera}
> \def\CrossMarks{Cross}
>
> \doifelse{\getvariable{Crop}{mark}{camera}
>   {\let\PageBackground\CameraMarks}
>   {\doifelse{\getvariable{Crop}{mark}{cross}
>      {\let\PageBackground\CrossMarks}
>      {\relax}
>
> For debugging purposes, I just have this
>
> \doifelse{\GetMark}{camera}
>   {mark defined as \getvariable{Crop}{mark}}
>   {mark not defined: \getvariable{Crop}{mark}}
>
> which will print out a message. \getvariable{Crop}{mark} however, is
> either empty or has the value I predefine when I initialize it, it  does
> not take the user-supplied value within the module (if I insert  this
> doifelse thing into the document, it does return the correct  value
> because then the \setup-command has been read before.)

Normally there is no magic in setting variables. So double check the
code where you set (\setvariables[Crop][...]) the variables. Maybe a
typo (lowercase namespace,.. ).

Peter

> Thanks, and best
>
> Thomas

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06 15:08           ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-10-06 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I'm usually prone to making this kind of mistakes. But if I put
exactly the same \doifelse in my TeX file (instead of in the module),
the correct value is returned. I also thought there was no trickery
involved, but it looks like the key is assigned its value only after
the module has been read... I have looked at another module I wrote
where I have the same situation (font definition), and it just works.
I have no clue where both modules differ.

Best

Thomas

On Oct 6, 2005, at 2:45 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Normally there is no magic in setting variables. So double check the
> code where you set (\setvariables[Crop][...]) the variables. Maybe a
> typo (lowercase namespace,.. ).
>
> Peter

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06 20:08             ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2005-10-06 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Yes, I'm usually prone to making this kind of mistakes. But if I put
> exactly the same \doifelse in my TeX file (instead of in the module),
> the correct value is returned. I also thought there was no trickery
> involved, but it looks like the key is assigned its value only after
> the module has been read... I have looked at another module I wrote
> where I have the same situation (font definition), and it just works.  I
> have no clue where both modules differ.

I'm just guessing (taken from my own pile of mistakes).
Hmm, is it a problem of setting the variable, or it's interpretation?
Can you find out, if the variable is set correctly in your \setupcrop
macro? Just add

\writestatus{[CROP]}{crop mark is: \getvariable{Crop}{mark}}%

right after the \setvariables command and have an eye on the logging.

And if this works (I can't imagine why not), try to exchange the
\doifelse nesting by \processaction

\processaction[\getvariable{Crop}{mark}][
  camera =>\def\PageBackground{\CameraMarks},
  cross  =>\def\PageBackground{\CrossMarks},
  default=>\def\PageBackground{},
  unknown=>\def\PageBackground{}]%

The error can't hide forever ;)

Greetings,

Peter

> Best
>
> Thomas
>
> On Oct 6, 2005, at 2:45 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> Normally there is no magic in setting variables. So double check the
>> code where you set (\setvariables[Crop][...]) the variables. Maybe a
>> typo (lowercase namespace,.. ).
>>
>> Peter

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06 21:11               ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-10-06 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter, I appreciate your helping me. And I have no clue what's going
wrong.
On Oct 6, 2005, at 10:08 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:

> I'm just guessing (taken from my own pile of mistakes).
> Hmm, is it a problem of setting the variable, or it's interpretation?
> Can you find out, if the variable is set correctly in your \setupcrop
> macro? Just add
>
> \writestatus{[CROP]}{crop mark is: \getvariable{Crop}{mark}}%

For debugging, I've narrowed the module down to 8 lines:

\def\setupcrop{\setvariables[Crop]}

\setvariables[Crop][mark=cross,info=yes]

\processaction[\getvariable{Crop}{mark}][
   camera =>\def\PageBackground{\CameraMarks},
   cross  =>\def\PageBackground{\CrossMarks},
   default=>\def\PageBackground{},
   unknown=>\def\PageBackground{}]%

\writestatus{[CROP]}{crop mark is: \getvariable{Crop}{mark}}

my testfile:

\usemodule[t-crop]
\setupcrop[mark=camera,info=yes]

\starttext

Hello!

\stoptext

Output in log:

(/Users/tas/Library/texmf/tex/t-crop.tex
[CROP]          : crop mark is: cross

If second line of module is commented out, I get:

[CROP]          : crop mark is:

So it's a problem of actually setting the variable.

> The error can't hide forever ;)

Maybe it can't hide forever, but it looks like it can run...

Thanks for your help. I'll be away tomorrow and will try more on the
weekend.

Best

Thomas

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06 21:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-10-06 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Sorry, I was trying to be general instead of specific and was
> unclear. Here's what I want:
>
> \usemodule[MyCrop]
> \setupcrop[mark=camera,info=yes] % or \setupcrop[mark=cross,info=no]
> or any combination
>
> My idea was to have nested \doifelse statements in the module itself
> (I got this idea from page-lay.tex):
>
> \doifelse{\getvariable{Crop}{mark}{camera}
>   {==> make page background camera-crops}
>   {\doifelse{\getvariable{Crop}{mark}{cross}
>      {==> make page background cross-crops}
>      {do nothing}
>
> My problem right now is that the assignment by the user given in the
> \setup-command is not read before the \doifelse within the module
> gets executed, so it always defaults to the "do nothing" part because
> the variables are empty. I hope that's clearer...

ok, so in that case, put the doifelse code in setups and use the 'set' options i mentioned; this is why i built this feature -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06 21:28       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-10-06 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

>Hi Thomas.
>
>Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>

>>Sorry, I was trying to be general instead of specific and was  unclear.
>>Here's what I want:
>>
>>\usemodule[MyCrop]
>>\setupcrop[mark=camera,info=yes] % or \setupcrop[mark=cross,info=no]  or
>>any combination
>>

>This should work. The only thing that is missing, is a call (at the end
>of \setupcrop) to a separate routine (based on your \doifelse
>construct), which sets up the background.
>
>Or have i missed something? :)

this is what the

\setvariables[blabla][set=whatever-needs-to-be-done-setup]

does

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-06 21:32               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-10-06 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

>Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>

>>Yes, I'm usually prone to making this kind of mistakes. But if I put
>>exactly the same \doifelse in my TeX file (instead of in the module),
>>the correct value is returned. I also thought there was no trickery
>>involved, but it looks like the key is assigned its value only after
>>the module has been read... I have looked at another module I wrote
>>where I have the same situation (font definition), and it just works.  I
>>have no clue where both modules differ.
>>

>I'm just guessing (taken from my own pile of mistakes).
>Hmm, is it a problem of setting the variable, or it's interpretation?
>Can you find out, if the variable is set correctly in your \setupcrop
>macro? Just add
>
>\writestatus{[CROP]}{crop mark is: \getvariable{Crop}{mark}}%
>
>right after the \setvariables command and have an eye on the logging.
>
>And if this works (I can't imagine why not), try to exchange the
>\doifelse nesting by \processaction
>
>\processaction[\getvariable{Crop}{mark}][
>  camera =>\def\PageBackground{\CameraMarks},
>  cross  =>\def\PageBackground{\CrossMarks},

no spaces before the =>

>  default=>\def\PageBackground{},
>  unknown=>\def\PageBackground{}]%

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: getvariable
@ 2005-10-07 10:53                 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2005-10-07 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Peter, I appreciate your helping me. And I have no clue what's going
> wrong.
> On Oct 6, 2005, at 10:08 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>

>> I'm just guessing (taken from my own pile of mistakes).
>> Hmm, is it a problem of setting the variable, or it's interpretation?
>> Can you find out, if the variable is set correctly in your \setupcrop
>> macro? Just add
>>
>> \writestatus{[CROP]}{crop mark is: \getvariable{Crop}{mark}}%
>

> For debugging, I've narrowed the module down to 8 lines:
>
> \def\setupcrop{\setvariables[Crop]}

Is that all \setupcrop does? :)
It's a bit hard for me to debug your code from parts, without seeing
all. But anyway, here is the way I would handle such stuff. Not tested!

% trigger for printing crop info
\newconditional\CropInfo

\def\SetupCrop{\dosingleempty\doSetupCrop}

\def\doSetupCrop[#1]{%
  \iffirstargument
    \getrawparameters[CROP@][{mark=,info=},#1]%
    \processaction[\CROP@mark][
      camera=>{\setvariables[Crop][mark=camera]
	\def\PageBackground{\CameraMarks}},
      cross=>{\setvariables[Crop][mark=cross]
	\def\PageBackground{\CrossMarks}},
      default=>{\setvariables[Crop][mark=]
	\def\PageBackground{}},
      unknown=>{\setvariables[Crop][mark=]
	\def\PageBackground{}}]%
    % no need to store this into a variable
    \processaction[\CROP@info][
      no=>\setfalse\CropInfo,
      default=>\settrue\CropInfo,
      unknown=>\settrue\CropInfo]%
  \else
  % \SetupCrop is called without parameters
    \setvariables[Crop][mark=]
    \setfalse\CropInfo
    \def\PageBackground{}%
  \fi
  % just to give the idea...
  \ifconditional\CropInfo
    \setlayer[markings][x=.5\paperwidth, y=20mm, location=c]%
    {\tt \txx "\jobname" - \currentdate [y,/,mm,/,dd]\ - \currenttime\ -
\realfolio\ of \lastpage}
%  \else
  \fi
% for debugging only
\writestatus{[CROP]}{crop mark is: \getvariable{Crop}{mark}}%
\writestatus{}{crop info is \ifconditional\CropInfo\ enabled\else\
disabled}%
}

\SetupCrop % initialisation (or \setups[namespace:reset])

I have no experience with the namespace mechanism Hans mentioned (will
give it a try/ add it to the wiki).

HTH,

Peter