* TeX & chemistry (was: alignment of figures)
@ 2005-10-25 18:56 Mojca Miklavec
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-10-25 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> I use "Chemdraw", save as .pict and finish it in Illustrator. I will
> eventually look into PPCHTEX, but at the moment struggling with
> ConTEXt is all I can do. There is a problem with my method: the
> formula saved as .pict look awful (bonds shifted, atoms not aligned
> etc.) and I have to correct everything by hand in Illustrator. I am
> sure PPCHTEX would do a better job. On the other hand, if I switch
> the formulae should look the same (bondlength, thickness, font etc.)
> as the ones I already did (and don't want to do again). I suppose
> that's feasable?

I may be wrong, but I doubt that PPCHTEX would satisfy your needs.
It's a complicated notation which is not flexible enough (I gave up
since there were quite some cases for which I wasn't able to draw what
I wanted to.) XymTeX is more powerful, but not supported by ConTeXt
(although you can still draw single formulas in LaTeX and import them
into ConTeXt as pictures) and still with very complex notation.

(I would say that all you need is a better export from Chemdraw, but
as this is a proprietary software I doubt that there are any
specifications how to write an exporting module. Please correct me if
I'm wrong. I wish I were.)

I'm playing a bit with drawing formulas in metafun, but my question
is: are there any guidelines about how a nice formula should look
like? (Yes, I have problems to decide how thick the lines have to be,
how to draw a triple or a steric bond properly, which size of letters
to use). Knuth did a marvellous job with drawing math formulae in TeX,
there are many books about typography, but I've never seen anything
about chemistry and I haven't found anyone who could answer me this
question.

Mojca

* RE: TeX & chemistry (was: alignment of figures)
@ 2005-10-25 19:34 ` Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2005-10-25 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

A quick search on Google found this.
Keith

http://www.rsc.org/Publishing/ReSourCe/AuthorGuidelines/Illustrations/sect1.
asp
http://pubs.acs.org/books/artwork.shtml

@ 2005-10-26  8:40 ` Tobias Hilbricht
From: Tobias Hilbricht @ 2005-10-26  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 25. Oktober 2005 20:56 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
> Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> > I am
> > sure PPCHTEX would do a better job.

If PPCHTeX is capable of drawing your formulas. I tried it, and apart from
complicated notation it can not draw seven rings, and you need "work arounds"
for certain bond angles, and there were other things either very complicated
to code or not at all. There seems to be no big user community of PPCHTeX and
no development.

> I may be wrong, but I doubt that PPCHTEX would satisfy your needs.
> It's a complicated notation which is not flexible enough

Have a look into the PPCHTEeX-manual and see if it covers all your needs.

> XymTeX is more powerful, but not supported by ConTeXt
>and still with very complex notation.

True, and also XyMTeX lacks a lot of possibilities - apart from seven rings
many bicyclo-compounds are not possible, if I remember right. Additionally,
it is not possible to colorize bonds and atoms or to make them bold etc.
(this is possible with PPCHTeX).

Then there is ochem by Ingo Klöckl, perhaps the most powerful chemistry
solution in terms of possible compounds - but only for LaTeX, and again with
a very peculiar notation and a steep learning curve. Colorization of bonds
only with PostScript-editing.

Finally there is streetex by Igor Strokov - again for LaTeX, more powerful in
terms of possible compounds than PPCHTeX or XyMTeX and much easier (more
intuitive) to use. However, as with XyMTeX it is not possible to colorize
bonds and atoms or to make them bold etc.

> I would say that all you need is a better export from Chemdraw

Recent versions of Cambrigde Soft ChemDraw can produce very nice output in
various formats. Additionally, ChemDraw has the feature IUPAC name to
structure - this is very handy, and no TeX-solution has that.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht

* Re: TeX & chemistry (was: alignment of figures)
@ 2005-10-26 15:48 ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2005-10-26 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many thanks for all the suggestions on incorporating chemical
formula. PPCHEMTEX now looks like something to play with, but not
something I will switch to whith a deadline for writing the book
coming closer.

 From the publisher I got an example of the layout (a book they had
published), and they have symbols in the inside-margins. The
"binding" (gluing?) seems to allow that. It's not pretty, but the
book opens flat  on a table.

And this might interest or amuse the professionals on this site: half
a year ago, I sent in a "test chapter" as a pdf file, accompanied by
a tex-file. I expected them (whoever is responsible) to say they
wanted it in Word (they had told me that based on the test-chapter,
they would prepare a Word-"mask" for me to fill in text and figures),
but to my surprise they thought it looked pretty good, and that if I
could "do just a few minor changes", they could print it as is - but
that they didn't have anybody who "knows TeX". Now of course I'm a
bit nervous, not to say afraid, because I'm pretty sure the "minor
changes" will be way beyond my capabilities...

Cheers, Jörg.

Prof. Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
DKBW, University of Basel
Mattenstrasse 28
CH-4058 Basel
Switzerland
Phone +41 (0)61 6953049

* Re: TeX & chemistry (was: alignment of figures)
@ 2005-10-26 18:05   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-10-26 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jörg,

\relax.

We are still here and I believe that on this list is quite some guru's
knowledge ... to help in this matter

Willi

@ 2005-10-26 18:23   ` Wolfgang Zillig
From: Wolfgang Zillig @ 2005-10-26 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I absolutely do't have any idea of typesetting formulas but I have a
question on PPCHTeX: is that used in the file eppchtex.pdf which is in
the manuals folder?

Wolfgang

@ 2005-10-26 19:01     ` Tobias Hilbricht
From: Tobias Hilbricht @ 2005-10-26 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 26. Oktober 2005 20:23 schrieb Wolfgang Zillig:
> Hello,
>
> I absolutely do't have any idea of typesetting formulas but I have a
> question on PPCHTeX: is that used in the file eppchtex.pdf which is in
> the manuals folder?

I am not the author of eppchtex.pdf, but that is PPCHTeX, yes.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht

* Re: TeX & chemistry
@ 2005-10-31 23:01   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-10-31 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Hilbricht wrote:

>If PPCHTeX is capable of drawing your formulas. I tried it, and apart from
>complicated notation it can not draw seven rings, and you need "work arounds"
>for certain bond angles, and there were other things either very complicated
>to code or not at all. There seems to be no big user community of PPCHTeX and
>no development.

mostly german users -)

development ... well, demand driven ... also, if you look into the file,
defining more rings is doable, but ons should do the angle calculations
once

Hans

* Re: TeX & chemistry (was: alignment of figures)
@ 2005-11-03 11:37   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-11-03 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keith McKay wrote:

> A quick search on Google found this.
> Keith
>
> http://www.rsc.org/Publishing/ReSourCe/AuthorGuidelines/Illustrations/sect1.
> asp
> http://pubs.acs.org/books/artwork.shtml

(Although a bit late:) thank you very much for the two links above.
The rules don't cover everything, but they represent an important
part. (I didn't have any such list before and data like "space between
bonds has to be 18% of bond length" are pretty useful and exactly part
of those rules that I was looking for.)

Thanks again,
    Mojca