* RE: Mini-survey: What do you do with ConTeXt?
@ 2005-11-09 14:22 Pearson, Mark (Capita Symonds)
From: Pearson, Mark (Capita Symonds) @ 2005-11-09 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I'm currently working in a team which is building a system for
the automatic production of office stationery (business cards,
letterheads and compliment slips) with ConTeXt at its heart.

The system provides a web-application front end for selected
users to create stationery orders. These orders are then
processed to produce .tex files, which are processed by
ConTeXt to produce press-ready PDFs. The PDFs are sent with
order details straight to our in-house printing department.

I was tasked with creating the PDF engine and chose ConTeXt
because (a) I have a lot of experience with LaTeX and hence a
great deal of respect for TeX's capabilities but (b) knew that
controlling the layouts in LaTeX would be a pain.

The following features of ConTeXt are used in this project:

* Native support for OpenType fonts
* Support for creation of high quality press-ready PDFs
* Fine control over document layout, page design etc.
* Support for embedding JPG, TIFF, PNG amd PDF images
* Support for the use of named (PANTONE) spot colours

The choice of ConTeXt was not an easy one having never used
it before but my gut feeling was that it is a very powerful
and flexible piece of software. It has met all my requirements
so far but not without a fight, as the documentation can be
very sparse!

I will certainly contribute what documentation I can when I
have more time.

Mark

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this e-mail for the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

* Re: Mini-survey: What do you do with ConTeXt?
@ 2005-11-06 20:59 olivier Turlier
From: olivier Turlier @ 2005-11-06 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

   >   What do you do with ConTeXT?

I started  informatic at 33 when coming back to studies : 2 years later
i've done my thesis with latex (took me 2.5 years!).
Now i try to teach buiding technics and design, with the help of  paper
and electronic courses made with Context. Hopefully, my boss doesn't
know that it took me sometimes 2 days for writing a one morning course!

I must recognise that sometimes I think of having a good dtp software,
but after some test, I come back to Context. In the next decades, I'll
try to succeed in quizz making and/or nice looking book. I wish to meet
people using Context one day.

Thanks Hans  and all others on the list .

--
Olivier TURLIER

* RE: Mini-survey: What do you do with ConTeXt?
@ 2005-11-06 20:27 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-11-06 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

<ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
>I wrote my novel using ConTeXt. Inside figures with metapost,
>the cover layout with Scribus.

I downloaded the first chapter; it is beautiful-)

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Mini-survey: What do you do with ConTeXt?
@ 2005-11-06  8:23 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2005-11-06  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use ConTeXt for the presentations in my lectures on Cryptography at
the University of Amsterdam.
I am considering changing my lecture notes (some 300 pages) from
LaTeX into ConTeXt, especially because the ease of incorporating
MetaFont pictures into the text.
Also for small documents as for example cd-covers.

Hans van der Meer

* RE: Mini-survey: What do you do with ConTeXt?
@ 2005-11-05 19:07 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-11-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   What do you do with ConTeXT?

We may divide this into present activities, planned activities, useful, and
needed features:

Present activities: I use ConTeXt to

a) typeset an academic journal
b) typeset my own books

Planned or in-progress activities: I am striving for

a) advanced critical edition support

b) advanced Arabic-script support, including complicated scripts like
Nastaliq:

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00xcallig/coloniallate/nastaliq/nastaliq.html

I already have a working Arabic module; though experimental, it produces some
of the best classical Naskh Arabic script one can find in digital typography-)

c) related to b) I would like to see an integration of aleph and pdfetex (for
full left-to-right and right-to-left typesetting)

Useful present or needed features: The best feature over LaTeX is its
predictability and integratedness (no 1001 packages to sift through).

NEEDED:

a) A COMPLETE CONTEXT IDE, maybe even a lyx-like application

b) More streamlined way to setup fonts

c) Complete independence from the TeX distributions (almost there-))

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Mini-survey: What do you do with ConTeXt?
@ 2005-11-04 14:49 Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (26 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-04 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

For the next issue of the ntg's Maps journal, Hans and I believe
it would be nice to publish the collected responses to this simple
question:

   What do you do with ConTeXT?

We think it would be nice to see all the various ways in which people
experience ConTeXt. We are not looking for articles, in fact we really
want just a small amount of text per user, nothing longer then you
would normally type in an email message.

One, perhaps two paragraphs that simply tell about your personal
experience using (or playing with) (or fighting with) (or yelling at)
(or staring at in bewilderment) (or revelling in) (or running away from)
ConTeXt.

If you like this idea, just reply to this message. I will then
collect and merge the responses, and finally put a pdf on-line
somewhere.

Don't be shy!

Taco