* Bug / feature request tracking
@ 2005-11-07 17:50 Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-07 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Some of you may be aware of the fact that there is a bug /
feature request tracker for ConTeXt. The URL is:

   http://context.literatesolutions.com/collector

I have to do a call-to-arms for the people that have made
feature requests and / or found bugs in the past few months,
especially if the extension /solution has not been included
in the latest distribution (2005.10.27).

Will you all please have a look at the current list, and see
if I have added your item(s) already?

I have a rather large archive of context-related email (because
I let it slip for a while), and  I fear that may have missed
some extant bugs. This is quite important, because if it is not
in the list, it is much less likely to get fixed.

Greetings,
Taco

* Re: Bug / feature request tracking
@ 2005-11-07 18:53 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-11-07 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco,

great to have your bug collector, and let's hope it'll be a bug
squasher before long...

I had submitted a couple of bugs and feature requests for the index
command that don't seem to be resolved and which didn't make it to
your list. I'd say they are fairly critical because they will really
mess up index generation:

1. index ranges inserted via \startregister[index] will gobble all
other entries for the term;

2. \seeindex gives an error and will foul up the .tui file when
processed with newtexexec;

3. again with newtexexec: capital letters at the beginning of terms
are disregarded for the index, thus Taco will be sorted under "a."

4. and a feature request: it would be good to have some formatting
options like LaTeX makeidx offers: \index{keyword|textit} will
produce a page-number in italics in the register. That would be
immensely useful to produce a structured index.

All best

Thomas

@ 2005-11-07 19:14   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-07 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Taco,
>
> great to have your bug collector, and let's hope it'll be a bug
> squasher before long...

I've added your register items, thanks.

I forgot to point out in my original post that the software for
the collector is kindly provided and hosted by Michael Guravage
and his company (http://www.literatesolutions.com).

I am only the person (tries) to manages the list of issues.

@ 2005-11-07 23:32     ` andrea valle
From: andrea valle @ 2005-11-07 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco,
should I add the metafun bug?

-a-

On 7 Nov 2005, at 20:14, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Taco,
>> great to have your bug collector, and let's hope it'll be a bug
>> squasher before long...
>
> I've added your register items, thanks.
>
> I forgot to point out in my original post that the software for
> the collector is kindly provided and hosted by Michael Guravage
> and his company (http://www.literatesolutions.com).
>
> I am only the person (tries) to manages the list of issues.
>
> Greetings,
> Taco

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino
andrea.valle@unito.it

* Re: Bug / feature request tracking
@ 2005-11-07 23:42       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-07 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

andrea valle wrote:
> Taco,
> should I add the metafun bug?

No need, I did that one already.

@ 2005-11-07 23:57   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-11-07 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Taco,
>
> great to have your bug collector, and let's hope it'll be a bug
> squasher before long...
>
> I had submitted a couple of bugs and feature requests for the index
> command that don't seem to be resolved and which didn't make it to  your
> list. I'd say they are fairly critical because they will really  mess up
> index generation:
>
> 1. index ranges inserted via \startregister[index] will gobble all
> other entries for the term;
>
> 2. \seeindex gives an error and will foul up the .tui file when
> processed with newtexexec;
>
> 3. again with newtexexec: capital letters at the beginning of terms  are
> disregarded for the index, thus Taco will be sorted under "a."

Yes, I agree.

> 4. and a feature request: it would be good to have some formatting
> options like LaTeX makeidx offers: \index{keyword|textit} will  produce
> a page-number in italics in the register. That would be  immensely
> useful to produce a structured index.

This is already present in the ConTeXt even in more general way then in
the LaTeX is. More info in the manual.

vit

> All best
>
> Thomas
>
> On Nov 7, 2005, at 6:50 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Some of you may be aware of the fact that there is a bug /
>> feature request tracker for ConTeXt. The URL is:
>>
>>   http://context.literatesolutions.com/collector
>>
>> I have to do a call-to-arms for the people that have made
>> feature requests and / or found bugs in the past few months,
>> especially if the extension /solution has not been included
>> in the latest distribution (2005.10.27).
>>
>> Will you all please have a look at the current list, and see
>> if I have added your item(s) already?
>>
>> I have a rather large archive of context-related email (because
>> I let it slip for a while), and  I fear that may have missed
>> some extant bugs. This is quite important, because if it is not
>> in the list, it is much less likely to get fixed.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Taco

* Re[2]: Bug / feature request tracking
@ 2005-11-08 10:05   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2005-11-08 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Monday, November 7, 2005 Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> 4. and a feature request: it would be good to have some formatting
> options like LaTeX makeidx offers:
> \index{keyword|textit} will
> produce a page-number in italics in the register. That would be
> immensely useful to produce a structured index.

I have the following, in my PhD thesis

\setupindex[pagestyle=normal]
\setupregister[index][def][pagestyle=bold]
\def\indexdefinition#1{\index[def::]{#1}}
\def\defterm#1{\leavevmode{\indexdefinition{#1}\it#1}}
\def\deftermx#1#2{\leavevmode{\processcommalist[#2]\indexdefinition\it#1}}
\def\useterm#1{\leavevmode{\index{#1}#1}}
\def\usetermx#1#2{\leavevmode{\processcommalist[#2]\index#1}}

the 'def' is an index 'class', which can be formatted
differently from the others. I use it to makr the definition
of a term (the other commands are just shorthands :)). You
can set up as many classes as you want and format each of
them as you wish. Much better than the LaTeX way :) More
details in the manual.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Re[2]: Bug / feature request tracking
@ 2005-11-08 22:36     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-11-08 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe, Vit,

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing this out -- I'm ashamed I
didn't look past p. 213 of the manual. And of course this is much
more flexible than the LaTeX way - how could I ever doubt it?

I will correct the entry in the bug collector and apologize for the
noise.

Thanks, and best

Thomas

@ 2005-11-09 10:02 ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-11-09 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

was the request tracker changed? I remember 3 months ago I wrote an
entry at  http://context.literatesolutions.com .
It was something like the fifths entry I think, but I can't remember
wether it was called collector (I remember it looked different).

However, now I cannot find it anymore.

So, here is the request again "feature request for placefigure
extension":

*** request start ***

Hi,

it would be great if the \placefigure macro could be extended to
combinations like

\placefigure{top,left}

or

\placefigure{bottom,outer}

The reason for this request is that we use ConTeXt a lot for
typesetting books from "arts and humanities".

There we often have to place a lot of (more then 100) figures at
"fixed" positions like top-outer and bottom-inner, wrapped by text.

I guess it's not a trivial feature to be implemented in TeX's
paragraph processing, but I know it might be worth the effort:
ConTeXt's way to deal with fonts and text is so superior that it
should be also accessible for disciplines that besides text also rely
on images - as the arts and humanities do.

Steffen

*** request stop ***

Thank you!

Steffen

@ 2005-11-09 10:40   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-09 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
> was the request tracker changed? I remember 3 months ago I wrote an
> entry at  http://context.literatesolutions.com .
> It was something like the fifths entry I think, but I can't remember
> wether it was called collector (I remember it looked different).
>
> However, now I cannot find it anymore.
>
> So, here is the request again "feature request for placefigure
> extension":

re-inserted. IIRC, there has been a crash of the collector some
time ago, forcing a re-install from backup.

@ 2005-11-19 16:21 ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2005-11-19 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>    http://context.literatesolutions.com/collector

 I especially like the deadline entries. :-)

regards,
	Christopher, catching up on older mails

* Re: Bug / feature request tracking
@ 2005-11-24 11:13   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-11-24 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

... but I guess they are not too serious, unfortunately  :(

Steffen (collector item no.53)

@ 2005-11-24 11:35     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-24 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> ... but I guess they are not too serious, unfortunately  :(

well, some requests are kind of tricky, some even impossible to implment
in todays tex -)

Hans

* Re: Bug / feature request tracking
@ 2005-11-24 12:24       ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-11-24 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

can you give a new deadline - or is no.53 a sad example for
"impossible to implement"  :,(

Steffen

@ 2005-11-24 13:05         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-24 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> can you give a new deadline - or is no.53 a sad example for  "impossible
> to implement"  :,(

I don't think this is feasible in the current TeX engines, so
you probably have to wait for an extension to pdfetex or another
extended engine. That means you're looking for a deadline that is
a few years in the future, at the earliest.

(unless you can find a programmer to work on it)

Taco