* font-switching oddities
@ 2005-10-25 13:50 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-10-25 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with bodyfont switching. It involves two
fonts that I adapted myself, so it's difficult to make a minimal
example. Both fonts are defined in typescripts (these are just
examples, it works the same for every typescript I tried).

First one is Adobe Caslon:

\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]

\starttypescript [serif] [caslon] [texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Roman]          [texnansi-KERN-LIGA-
DLIG-ONUM-ACaslonPro-Regularnoct]  [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Bold]           [texnansi-KERN-LIGA-
DLIG-ONUM-ACaslonPro-Boldnoct]  [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Italic]         [texnansi-KERN-LIGA-
DLIG-ONUM-ACaslonPro-Italicnoct]  [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Bold-Italic]    [texnansi-KERN-LIGA-
DLIG-ONUM-ACaslonPro-BoldItalicnoct] [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Roman-SmallCaps][texnansi-KERN-SMCP-
LNUM-ACaslonPro-Regular]  [encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Roman-OSF]      [texnansi-KERN-SMCP-
LNUM-ACaslonPro-Regular]   [encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [caslon] [name]
   \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Caslon-Roman]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Caslon-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Caslon-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Caslon-Bold-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]       [Caslon-Roman-SmallCaps]
   \definefontsynonym [OldStyle]        [Caslon-Roman-OSF]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Caslon]
   \definetypeface [MyCaslon] [rm] [serif] [caslon] [default]
[encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

Second one is one of my Greek fonts (doesn't matter which one):

\starttypescript [serif] [greekgentium] [agr]
   \definefontsynonym [Greekgentium-Roman] [genagr-GentiumAlt]
[encoding=agr]
   \definefontsynonym [Greekgentium-Italic][genagr-GentiumAItI]
[encoding=agr]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [greekgentium] [name]
   \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Greekgentium-Roman]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Greekgentium-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Serif]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Serif]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript[GreekGentium]
     \definetypeface [MyGreekGentium] [rm] [serif] [greekgentium]
[default] [rscale=\getvariable{Greek}{scale},encoding=agr]
\stoptypescript

The fonts are used thus:

\setupbodyfont[MyCaslon,12pt]

\switchtobodyfont[MyGreekGentium]

Switching works when I set the bodyfont size to 9,10,11,12pt, but not
if it is set to any other value. In that case, I get these messages
in the log file

Missing character: There is no a in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no > in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no u in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no t in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no o in font nullfont!
etc.

I must be missing something obvious about typefiles, but can't see
what? Any help will be appreciated.

All best

Thomas

* Re: font-switching oddities
@ 2005-10-25 20:54 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-10-25 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I solved my immediate problem by adding this in my typescript:

\definebodyfont
[30pt,25pt,20pt,18pt,17.3pt,14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt,
4pt]
[rm]
[default]

but is there any simpler means of doing this, is there a keyword like
"all" to define bodyfonts for every imaginable size?

Thanks

Thomas

* Re: font-switching oddities
@ 2005-10-26  6:23   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-10-26  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Switching works when I set the bodyfont size to 9,10,11,12pt, but  not
>> if it is set to any other value. In that case, I get these  messages
>> in the log file
>>
>> Missing character: There is no a in font nullfont!
>> Missing character: There is no > in font nullfont!
>> Missing character: There is no u in font nullfont!
>> Missing character: There is no t in font nullfont!
>> Missing character: There is no o in font nullfont!
>> etc.

This spells "a>uto", perhaps that is a clue?

Taco

* Re: font-switching oddities
@ 2005-10-26  8:46     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-10-26  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 08:23 +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> >> Switching works when I set the bodyfont size to 9,10,11,12pt, but  not
> >> if it is set to any other value. In that case, I get these  messages
> >> in the log file
> >>
> >> Missing character: There is no a in font nullfont!
> >> Missing character: There is no > in font nullfont!
> >> Missing character: There is no u in font nullfont!
> >> Missing character: There is no t in font nullfont!
> >> Missing character: There is no o in font nullfont!
> >> etc.
>
> This spells "a>uto", perhaps that is a clue?
>
> Taco
That's the beginning of the Greek word autos "himself"... No, it does
the same for every letter after the fontswitch, that makes for a pretty
long logfile, and I just included the first few lines.

Cheers

Thomas

* Re: font-switching oddities
@ 2005-11-09 10:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-09 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having some trouble with bodyfont switching. It involves two
> fonts that I adapted myself, so it's difficult to make a minimal
> example. Both fonts are defined in typescripts (these are just
> examples, it works the same for every typescript I tried).

was this solved?

> \starttypescript [Caslon]
>   \definetypeface [MyCaslon] [rm] [serif] [caslon] [default]
> [encoding=texnansi]

      \definetypeface [MyCaslon] [mm] [math] [modern] [default]

> \stoptypescript

> \starttypescript[GreekGentium]
>     \definetypeface [MyGreekGentium] [rm] [serif] [greekgentium]
> [default] [rscale=\getvariable{Greek}{scale},encoding=agr]

  \definetypeface [MyCaslon] [mm] [math] [modern] [default]

> \stoptypescript

Hans

* Re: font-switching oddities
@ 2005-11-09 12:30   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-11-09 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

This was partially solved. If I add the bodyfontsize explicitly

\definebodyfont
[30pt,25pt,20pt,18pt,17.3pt,14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt,
4pt]
[rm]
[default]

I don't get these errors, and the files compile fine. But since its
for my module, I still have a problem: what if the customer sets
bizarre sizes like 10.25pt? So my question was: is it possible to
have a blanket definition like [all] vel. sim. to be covered for all
cases?

And thanks for the hint to add math; will do that for every typescript.

Best

Thomas

On Nov 9, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having some trouble with bodyfont switching. It involves two
>> fonts that I adapted myself, so it's difficult to make a minimal
>> example. Both fonts are defined in typescripts (these are just
>> examples, it works the same for every typescript I tried).
>
> was this solved?
>

>> \starttypescript [Caslon]
>>   \definetypeface [MyCaslon] [rm] [serif] [caslon] [default]
>> [encoding=texnansi]
>
>      \definetypeface [MyCaslon] [mm] [math] [modern] [default]
>> \stoptypescript
>

>> \starttypescript[GreekGentium]
>>     \definetypeface [MyGreekGentium] [rm] [serif] [greekgentium]
>> [default] [rscale=\getvariable{Greek}{scale},encoding=agr]
>
>  \definetypeface [MyCaslon] [mm] [math] [modern] [default]
>
>> \stoptypescript
>>
> Hans

* Re: font-switching oddities
@ 2005-11-09 13:13     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-09 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> And thanks for the hint to add math; will do that for every typescript.

that probbably solves the problem

Hans