* \setupheader: leftstyle & rightstyle
@ 2007-07-21 23:53 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2007-07-21 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, all--

I would like to use different styles for left and right headers in a
book: I would like to set the left side (which shows the book title) in
small caps, and the right side (chapter title) in italics.

   \setupheader[style=\sc]

works fine. So does

   \setupheader[style=\it]

But

   \setupheader[leftstyle=\sc,rightstyle=\it]

Doesn't work. Both headers appear in the (medium-weight roman) body
font. Any idea why this is the case?

--
Matt Gushee

* Re: \setupheader: leftstyle & rightstyle
@ 2007-07-22  9:58 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-07-22  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Matt,

>    \setupheader[leftstyle=\sc,rightstyle=\it]

I think the reference is wrong here, I couldn't find 'leftstyle' and
'rightstyle' in the source. And \setupheader is AFAIU for the section
title. You can use \setupheadertexts. See the example:

\starttext
\setupheadertexts[{\sc This is my book!}][{\it \getmarking[section]}]
\setupfootertexts [pagenumber]

\setuppagenumbering [location=]
% \setuphead [section][style=\it]
\section{My first section}
\input tufte

\input knuth

\section{My second section}
\input tufte

\input tufte
\stoptext

* Re: \setupheader: leftstyle & rightstyle
@ 2007-07-22 11:56 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-07-22 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/22/07, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hi, all--
>
> I would like to use different styles for left and right headers in a
> book: I would like to set the left side (which shows the book title) in
> small caps, and the right side (chapter title) in italics.
>
>    \setupheader[style=\sc]
>
> works fine. So does
>
>    \setupheader[style=\it]
>
> But
>
>    \setupheader[leftstyle=\sc,rightstyle=\it]
>
> Doesn't work. Both headers appear in the (medium-weight roman) body
> font. Any idea why this is the case?

I usually use something like

\setuppagenumbering
    [alternative=doublesided,location=bottom]
\setupheadertexts
    [\sc Book Title][]
    [][{\it (\getmarking[chapter][current])}]

However, there seems to be a little bug. This works perfectly well for
section (\getmarking[section]), but for chapter the chapter labels
seem to be erased after the first appearance.

leftstyle= might also require implementation of
- style of the left label on left page
- style of the middle label on the left page
- style of the right labale on the left page
- all the three styles again on the right page, the same 6 for footer

Mojca

* Re: \setupheader: leftstyle & rightstyle
@ 2007-07-23  3:43   ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2007-07-23  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> 'rightstyle' in the source. And \setupheader is AFAIU for the section
> title.

AFAIU? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that acronym.

> \setupheadertexts[{\sc This is my book!}][{\it \getmarking[section]}]

Ah, yes, that does the trick! Thank you.

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > \setupheadertexts
 >     [\sc Book Title][]
 >     [][{\it (\getmarking[chapter][current])}]

Okay, that seems to work, too. But why use the [current] argument? Are
there conditions where

   \getmarking[chapter]

doesn't return the current chapter title?

 > However, there seems to be a little bug. This works perfectly well for
 > section (\getmarking[section]), but for chapter the chapter labels
 > seem to be erased after the first appearance.

Hmm, that doesn't happen for me. I'm using the 2007-01-23 release of
ConTeXt. Which version are you using?

--

@ 2007-07-23  8:21     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-07-23  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/23/07, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>  > \setupheadertexts
>  >     [\sc Book Title][]
>  >     [][{\it (\getmarking[chapter][current])}]
>
> Okay, that seems to work, too. But why use the [current] argument? Are
> there conditions where
>
>    \getmarking[chapter]
>
> doesn't return the current chapter title?

Probably not, it's only an optional parameter. You have also [last],
[first], ... etc., but [current] is (most probably) the default one.

>  > However, there seems to be a little bug. This works perfectly well for
>  > section (\getmarking[section]), but for chapter the chapter labels
>  > seem to be erased after the first appearance.
>
> Hmm, that doesn't happen for me. I'm using the 2007-01-23 release of
> ConTeXt. Which version are you using?

I tested with 2007.04.17, 2007.01.12 and 2007.07.03, but result is the
same: Chapter title only appears on the first page and never again. If
you replace chapter by section, it works OK.

Mojca

------------------------------------

\setuppagenumbering
	[alternative=doublesided,location=bottom]
\setupheadertexts
	[{\sc Book Title}][]
	[][{\it (\getmarking[chapter][current])}]

\starttext

some text

\page

\chapter{First Chapter}

some text

\page

some text

\page

some text

\page

\chapter{Second Chapter}

some text

\page

\chapter{Third Chapter}

some text

\page

some text

\stoptext

* Re: \setupheader: leftstyle & rightstyle
@ 2007-07-24  6:55   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2007-07-24  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sunday, July 22, 2007 Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> However, there seems to be a little bug. This works perfectly well for
> section (\getmarking[section]), but for chapter the chapter labels
> seem to be erased after the first appearance.

Do you have a \page[even] in between? I've found that the
markings of the last section get cleared when an empty page
is inserted. See also my thread “Section marking forgotten
on next even page?”

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: \setupheader: leftstyle & rightstyle
@ 2007-07-22 18:20 Alex K
From: Alex K @ 2007-07-22 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread, but I have a quick question related to this and I'd thought I'd post it here instead of starting a whole new topic about something similar. How do you center headers? I know that if you just use one header, it's automatically centered, but if you use alternating headers, they're left/right aligned by default... right?

So far I have a two-page spread set up so that the chapter appears on the right header and the title of the text on the left, but neither are centered. Do I use \midaligned, or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks.

http://tv.yahoo.com/