From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: The whole (sub)section on a single page
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:39:36 +0100	[thread overview]

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>>Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>

>>>It doesn't need to automatically determine the subsection boundaries
>>>automatically (although this would be great), so I can write something
>>>like this:
>>>
>>>\startmaterialforonepage
>>>\subsection{split only if too long for one page}
>>>\dorecurse{10}{whatever comes here \dots }
>>>\stopmaterialforonepage
>>>

>>Do you want something like this?
>>
>>   \long\def\startmaterialforonepage#1\stopmaterialforonepage%
>>     {\setbox0\vbox{#1}\ifdim\ht0<\textheight \page\fi #1}
>>

>Thak you, Taco. Yes, this is almost exactly what I wanted to do,
>except that I would substitute
>    \ifdim\ht0<\textheight
>with
>    \ifdim\ht0<\theremainingpageheight
>
>How/where can I get \theremainingpageheight? I saw some strange
>"keywords" like \pagegoal, \pagetotal spread through the source, ...
>but I have no clue what they are for and if they have anyting to do
>with what I'm looking for.

that's always tricky, because it's not really possible to determine the
rest of the available space without entering the output routing, which
then spoils spacing

(there is \testpage[n] with n being a minimal number of lines, so,
\testpage[10] will move to the next page if there are less than 10 lines)

Hans