* Re: Debian Install
@ 2005-11-17  8:09 Jessica Holle
From: Jessica Holle @ 2005-11-17  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

in the evening I want to install ConTeXt on my home system. It's
Debian testing.
It,s easy to install in debian I see. With apt-get it works.
But now my question.
In you documentation in the wiki is written that ConTeXt should be
installed in ~/texmf
But the structure is another as when I do it to /usr/local/teTeX .
Must I do softlinks to this path to get context to work? Or do I
only install teTeX like in the
documentation and then install ConTeXt to /home/$USER/texmf and it
works?

Greetings Jessica

* Re: Debian Install
@ 2005-11-17  8:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-17  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jessica Holle wrote:

>Hi,
>
>in the evening I want to install ConTeXt on my home system. It's
>Debian testing.
>It,s easy to install in debian I see. With apt-get it works.
>But now my question.
>In you documentation in the wiki is written that ConTeXt should be
>installed in ~/texmf
>But the structure is another as when I do it to /usr/local/teTeX .
>Must I do softlinks to this path to get context to work? Or do I
>only install teTeX like in the
>documentation and then install ConTeXt to /home/$USER/texmf and it
>works?

it does not really matter where you install it, as long as it comes
first in the search path

the search order is set in the $TEXMF variable, which you can adapt if
needed, for instance things like

mkdir /lets/do/it/my/way/tex
chdir /lets/do/it/my/way/tex
unzip cont-tmf.zip
MYTREE=/lets/do/it/my/way/tex
export MYTREE
TEXMF={$MYTREE,.....}
export TEXMF
mktexlsr
texmfstart texexec --make --all

should work(in principle)

but ... isn't there a texmf-local path?

another option is:

run: kpsewhich --progname=context context.tex
see what path is reported
goto the texmf root of that path
unzip context there
run mktexlsr
etc

for the rest ... tetex has a rather complex path set up (any combination
of usr, home, local, texmf, var, ... could be in use -) so in case of
doubt you need to take a look at your expanded $TEX... environment
variables in order to see

you can give this a try:

tmftools --expand-var=*

(given that tmftools is on your system)

Hans

* Re: Debian Install
@ 2005-10-17  8:25       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-10-17  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier wrote:

>Quoting  "Hans Hagen" :
>

>>-- was pragma@wxs.nl on Oct 15, 2005 at 01:54:28 --
>>

>>Olivier wrote:
>>

>>>Actually, the file texmf.cnf should be located at /etc/texmf/ like all
>>>the config files for the tetex distrib (and I assume the
>>>/usr/share/texmf/web2c
>>>is just a link from there).
>>>

>>actually, moving all such files to etc is a bad idea; if etc really wants
>>that file there (maybe under /etc/web2c), best make a symlink from there to
>>the formal place tex tree; makes updating easier; a lot of effort goes into
>>making the tex tree clean and self contained, so moving files outside the
>>tree is a bad idea.
>>

>I understand some people may have different views. I was just trying to
>tell the way it is done in the Debian GNU/Linux system.
>There is a policy about TeX stuff location inside the system which is
>described in the Debian TeX policy here:
>        http://people.debian.org/~frank/Debian-TeX-Policy
>This includes as you can read in the first paragraph on config:
>        The central configuration file for TeX applications is
>        /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf, the central font configuration file is
>        /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg, the central
>        language/hyphenation configuration
>        /var/lib/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat, and format
>        generation is determinded by /var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.
>        All four files are generated by configuration update programs
>        from configuration files in subdirectories of /etc/texmf.
>
>That's how it is, and was'nt involved in the making of this policy :)

sure -)

but it's confusing that some files end up in etc and some not; i could
imagine /etc/web2c that has all config files

>The original poster was asking for the normal setting in his Debian
>system and I believe it is correct. Moreover, it is always a bad idea to
>move files provided by packages: I know you are providing a sync
>mechanism for conTeXt but you'll certainly understand that doing this
>for every set of program in a system is something a sysadmin does'nt
>want to go into, and I guess that's where packaging system originated ;)

tex reads multiple texmf.cnf files, so one way of getting around it is to make sure that your texmfcnf env var is set up right; that way one can put his own copy of texmf.cnf in a known place (home path or so);

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* RE: Debian Install
@ 2005-10-15 17:27 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-10-15 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> =====
>Olivier wrote:
>
>>Actually, the file texmf.cnf should be located at /etc/texmf/ like all
>>the config files for the tetex distrib (and I assume the
/usr/share/texmf/web2c
>>is just a link from there).
>>

>actually, moving all such files to etc is a bad idea; if etc really wants
that file there (maybe under /etc/web2c), best make a symlink from there to
the formal place tex tree; makes updating easier; a lot of effort goes into
making the tex tree clean and self contained, so moving files outside the tree
is a bad idea.

>Hans

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Debian Install
@ 2005-10-15 13:50     ` Olivier
From: Olivier @ 2005-10-15 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting  "Hans Hagen" :
> -- was pragma@wxs.nl on Oct 15, 2005 at 01:54:28 --

> Olivier wrote:
>
> >Actually, the file texmf.cnf should be located at /etc/texmf/ like all
> >the config files for the tetex distrib (and I assume the
> >/usr/share/texmf/web2c
> >is just a link from there).

> actually, moving all such files to etc is a bad idea; if etc really wants
> that file there (maybe under /etc/web2c), best make a symlink from there to
> the formal place tex tree; makes updating easier; a lot of effort goes into
> making the tex tree clean and self contained, so moving files outside the
> tree is a bad idea.

I understand some people may have different views. I was just trying to
tell the way it is done in the Debian GNU/Linux system.
There is a policy about TeX stuff location inside the system which is
described in the Debian TeX policy here:
        http://people.debian.org/~frank/Debian-TeX-Policy
This includes as you can read in the first paragraph on config:
        The central configuration file for TeX applications is
        /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf, the central font configuration file is
        /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg, the central
        language/hyphenation configuration
        /var/lib/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat, and format
        generation is determinded by /var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.
        All four files are generated by configuration update programs
        from configuration files in subdirectories of /etc/texmf.

That's how it is, and was'nt involved in the making of this policy :)
The original poster was asking for the normal setting in his Debian
system and I believe it is correct. Moreover, it is always a bad idea to
move files provided by packages: I know you are providing a sync
mechanism for conTeXt but you'll certainly understand that doing this
for every set of program in a system is something a sysadmin does'nt
want to go into, and I guess that's where packaging system originated ;)

Cheers,
Olivier

* Re: Debian Install
@ 2005-10-15 11:54   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-10-15 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier wrote:

>Actually, the file texmf.cnf should be located at /etc/texmf/ like all
>the config files for the tetex distrib (and I assume the /usr/share/texmf/web2c
>is just a link from there).

actually, moving all such files to etc is a bad idea; if etc really wants that file there (maybe under /etc/web2c), best make a symlink from there to the formal place tex tree; makes updating easier; a lot of effort goes into making the tex tree clean and self contained, so moving files outside the tree is a bad idea.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Debian Install
@ 2005-10-15  8:34 ` Olivier
From: Olivier @ 2005-10-15  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting  "K. David Prince" :
> -- was kdp@hanhet.loew.washington.edu on Oct 14, 2005 at 01:35:57 --

> jaz:~# texexec --version
>
>  TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>
>                texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
>                    tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>                context : ver: 2005.01.31
>                cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2005.10.14  mes: english
>
>         total run time : 2 seconds

It's slightly outdated, I think, but you might not care...

> jaz:~# kpsewhich texmf.cnf
> /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> jaz:~# kpsewhich context.tex
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/context.tex

> My concern is with the results from the kpsewhich command.  I'm not
> getting:
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>       and
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/context.tex
> respectively.

That's fine! When you install official packages in Debian, it goes into /usr
whereas the /usr/local is for your quick and dirty installs.
By the way, that's why it was a good idea to purge previous tetex
packages you had like you did.

Actually, the file texmf.cnf should be located at /etc/texmf/ like all
the config files for the tetex distrib (and I assume the /usr/share/texmf/web2c
is just a link from there).

Olivier

* Debian Install
@ 2005-10-14 20:35 K. David Prince
From: K. David Prince @ 2005-10-14 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I followed the instructions on:

   <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation>.

I even purged out the old tetex packages before doing the apt-get install.

Now, upon "Checking" I get:

===Begin===
jaz:~# texexec --version

  TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

                texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
                    tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
                context : ver: 2005.01.31
                cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2005.10.14  mes: english

         total run time : 2 seconds

jaz:~# kpsewhich texmf.cnf
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

jaz:~# kpsewhich context.tex
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/context.tex

jaz:~#
===End===

My concern is with the results from the kpsewhich command.  I'm not
getting:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

and

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/context.tex

respectively.

My question: Should I move the file, for example,
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf to
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/context.tex or use a
link from one to the other?  Or, just leave it alone.  My assumption is
that the Debian package management system takes care of these things.
But, then, this is part of an experimental distribution, so maybe, I'm
thinking, I need to "fine tune" things....still.

Thanks,
Dave