* Math typescript question
@ 2005-11-22  5:19 Randall Skelton
From: Randall Skelton @ 2005-11-22  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have created a typescript for one of that defines the Utopia expert font
along with a few others and tries to make use of the Fourier math font. The
use of my own 'Utopia' typescript is largely historical but it is also that
the default one with ConTeXt seems a little off (missing headline/display
but defines some variants that Linotype is unaware of?). In any case, below
is what I have to define the math section but I'm getting some rather
strange results with it. In particular, I'm not getting the correct sized
parantheses when using '\left(' or '\biggl(' and math accent characters (i.e.
'\hat' and '\dot') are not above the character, but in the middle of it. I
don't really know if this is the best way to define a math font within a
typescript but it seems to get me most of the way there. NB, it is based on
some of Adam's Euler typescript.

Cheers,
Randall

--- typescript ---

%
% Math
%
\loadmapfile[fourier.map]

%% Taken from type-enc.tex
\starttypescript [math] [utopia] [default,ec]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters] [futr8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Other-Letters] [futmi]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic] [futmii]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Symbols] [futsy]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Extension] [fourier-mex]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [boldmath,bfmath] [utopia] [default,ec]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Bold] [futb8t] [encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Other-Letters-Bold] [futmib]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic-Bold] [futmiib]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Symbols] [futsy]
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Extension] [fourier-mex]
\stoptypescript

% Taken from type-syn.tex
\starttypescript [math] [utopia] [name]
\definefontsynonym [MathRoman] [Fourier-Math-Letters]
\definefontsynonym [MathGamma] [Fourier-Math-Other-Letters]
\definefontsynonym [MathItalic] [Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic]
\definefontsynonym [MathSymbol] [Fourier-Math-Symbols]
\definefontsynonym [MathExtension] [Fourier-Math-Extension]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [math] [utopia] [name] % todo
\definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [Serif-OldStyle] % strange, no oldstyles
\definefontsynonym [Fraktur] [eufm10]
\definefontsynonym [Blackboard] [msbm10]
\definefontsynonym [Gothic] [eufm10]
\definefontsynonym [Calligraphic] [eusm10]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [boldmath] [utopia] [name]
\definefontsynonym [MathRoman] [Fourier-Math-Letters-Bold]
\definefontsynonym [MathGamma] [Fourier-Math-Other-Letters-Bold]
\definefontsynonym [MathItalic] [Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic-Bold]
\definefontsynonym [MathSymbol] [Fourier-Math-Symbols]
\definefontsynonym [MathExtension] [Fourier-Math-Extension]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [bfmath] [utopia] [name]
\definefontsynonym [MathRomanBold] [Fourier-Math-Letters-Bold]
\definefontsynonym [MathGammaBold] [Fourier-Math-Other-Letters-Bold]
\definefontsynonym [MathItalicBold] [Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic-Bold]
\definefontsynonym [MathSymbolBold] [Fourier-Math-Symbols]
\definefontsynonym [MathExtensionBold] [Fourier-Math-Extension]
\stoptypescript

% Taken from type-exa.tex
\starttypescript [Utopia,UtopiaBfm]
\definetypeface [Utopia] [rm] [serif] [utopia] [default]
\definetypeface [Utopia] [tt] [mono] [utopia] [default]
\definetypeface [Utopia] [ss] [sans] [utopia] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Utopia]
\definetypeface [Utopia] [mm] [math] [utopia] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [UtopiaBoldMath]
\definetypeface [UtopiaBoldMath] [rm] [serif] [utopia] [default]
\definetypeface [UtopiaBoldMath] [tt] [mono] [utopia] [default]
\definetypeface [UtopiaBoldMath] [ss] [sans] [utopia] [default]
\definetypeface [UtopiaBoldMath] [mm] [boldmath] [utopia] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [UtopiaBfm,UtopiaBoldMath]
\definetypeface [Utopia] [mm] [bfmath] [utopia] [default]
\definetypeface [UtopiaBoldMath] [mm] [bfmath] [utopia] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Utopia,UtopiaBfm,UtopiaBoldMath]
\usemathcollection[fou]
\stoptypescript

% Taken from type-spe.tex
\starttypescript [math,boldmath] [utopia] [special]
\usemathcollection[fou]
\stoptypescript

%
% Default typescript
%
\starttypescript [Utopia]
\definetypeface [Utopia] [rm] [serif] [utopia] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface [UtopiaExpert] [rm] [serif] [utopia-expert] [default]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface [UtopiaOldStyle] [rm] [serif] [utopia-oldstyle] [default]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface [UtopiaTitling] [rm] [serif] [utopia-titling] [default]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface [Syntax] [ss] [sans] [syntax] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface [LetterGothic] [ss] [sans] [lettergothic] [default]
[encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

* Re: Math typescript question
@ 2005-11-23  1:16 ` Randall Skelton
From: Randall Skelton @ 2005-11-23  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

It turns out that this isn't related to my typescript but to the use of
'amsl' package with the Fourier font.  Is there a quick fix for this?  A
short example follows.  Note the bracket sizes as well as the the \hat and
\dot symbols

Cheers,
Randall

% Example
\usetypescript[fourier]
\setupbodyfont[fourier,14pt]

%
% Comment the 'amsl' module to see the difference
%
\usemodule[amsl]

\starttext

My first test reads:
\startformula
  F=ma.
\stopformula

A good second test is:
\startformula
  \left( a^2 + b^2 = c^2 \right).
\stopformula

Sometimes hats are funny:
\startformula
  \hat x = r \text{d} \dot r.
\stopformula

The final test is:
\startformula
  \theta = \sin^{-1} \left( \frac{a}{c} \right).
\stopformula

All done!

\stoptext

@ 2005-11-23  2:31   ` Randall Skelton
From: Randall Skelton @ 2005-11-23  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to all who have read this thread, but I've come to the conclusion
that I can probably live without the 'amsl' module.
I originally thought that all of the alignment/gather and similar commands
were piled in there but after taking a look, it appears to be mainly font
wizardry.  Some of the definitions in math-pln are really all I was looking
for.

Cheers,
Randall

* Re: Re: Math typescript question
@ 2005-11-23  6:45     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-23  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randall Skelton wrote:
> Thanks to all who have read this thread, but I've come to the conclusion
> that I can probably live without the 'amsl' module.
> I originally thought that all of the alignment/gather and similar
> commands were piled in there but after taking a look, it appears to be
> mainly font wizardry.  Some of the definitions in math-pln are really
> all I was looking for.

I don't know what is wrong, but it looks like something that
should be looked at by Adam or Giuseppe, so I've made a collector
item for this and will keep an eye on it.

Greetings, Taco