* unicode fontdefinition
@ 2005-11-24  8:19 sjoerd siebinga
From: sjoerd siebinga @ 2005-11-24  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I am currently typesetting a collection of articles that use a great
number of unicodeglyphs from 19 vectors. All the regular glyphs turn
up fine, but I am unable to get the bold and italic versions of the
glyphs. I have made encoding files for all the vectors using the xsl-
scripts from Adam Lindsay and installed them via texfont.

The sourcefile is an xml-file with decimal-unicode-entities that are
mapped to the \uchar command by the \defineXMLentity command.

I have defined the unicode fontsynonyms as follows:

<code>

\loadmapfile[palatinolinostar_01xx-starling-linostar]
\definefontsynonym [UnicodeRegular01] [palatinolinostar_01xx-
PalatinoLinoStar] [encoding=palatinolinostar_01xx]
\definefontsynonym [UnicodeBold01] [palatinolinostar_01xx-
PalatinoLinoStarBold] [encoding=palatinolinostar_01xx]
\definefontsynonym [UnicodeItalic01] [palatinolinostar_01xx-
PalatinoLinoStarItalic] [encoding=palatinolinostar_01xx]

</code>

My bodyfontdefinition is as follows:

<code>
\starttypescript [map] [linostar] [texnansi,palatinolinostar_01xx]
\loadmapfile [\typescripttwo-starling-linostar.map]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [linostar] [texnansi,palatinolinostar_01xx]
\definefontsynonym [linostar]             [\typescriptthree-
PalatinoLinoStar] [encoding=\typescriptthree]
   \definefontsynonym [linostar-Italic]      [\typescriptthree-
PalatinoLinoStarItalic] [encoding=\typescriptthree]
   \definefontsynonym [linostar-Bold]        [\typescriptthree-
PalatinoLinoStarBold] [encoding=\typescriptthree]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [linostar] [name]
	\setups             [font:fallback:serif]
	\definefontsynonym [Serif] [linostar]
   	\definefontsynonym [SerifItalic] [linostar-Italic]
   	\definefontsynonym [SerifBold] [linostar-Bold]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript	[my] [starling-linostar]
[texnansi,palatinolinostar_01xx]
\definetypeface [starling-linostar] [rm]	[serif]	[linostar]	[default]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript [my] [starling-linostar]

\setupbodyfont[starling-linostar,rm,10pt]
</code>

Could somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Kind regards,

Sjoerd

* Re: unicode fontdefinition
@ 2005-11-24 23:05 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-24 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

sjoerd siebinga wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently typesetting a collection of articles that use a great
> number of unicodeglyphs from 19 vectors. All the regular glyphs turn
> up fine, but I am unable to get the bold and italic versions of the
> glyphs. I have made encoding files for all the vectors using the
> xsl-scripts from Adam Lindsay and installed them via texfont.�
>
> The sourcefile is an xml-file with decimal-unicode-entities that are
> mapped to the \uchar command by the \defineXMLentity command.
>
> I have defined the unicode fontsynonyms as follows:
>
> <code>
>
> \loadmapfile[palatinolinostar_01xx-starling-linostar]
> \definefontsynonym [UnicodeRegular01]
> [palatinolinostar_01xx-PalatinoLinoStar] [encoding=palatinolinostar_01xx]
> \definefontsynonym [UnicodeBold01]
> [palatinolinostar_01xx-PalatinoLinoStarBold]�[encoding=palatinolinostar_01xx]
> \definefontsynonym [UnicodeItalic01]
> [palatinolinostar_01xx-PalatinoLinoStarItalic]�[encoding=palatinolinostar_01xx]

more a question for adam ...

> \starttypescript [my] [starling-linostar] [texnansi,palatinolinostar_01xx]

the texnansi,palatinolinostar_01xx will become \typescriptthree which is
a wrong encoding name

> \definetypeface [starling-linostar] [rm] [serif] [linostar] [default]
> [encoding=\typescriptthree]
> \stoptypescript
>

> \usetypescript [my] [starling-linostar]
>
> \setupbodyfont[starling-linostar,rm,10pt]
> </code>
>
> Could somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?�

you need something:
\starttypescript [map] [linostar] [texnansi]
   \loadmapfile [\typescripttwo-starling-linostar.map]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [linostar] [texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [linostar][\typescriptthree-PalatinoLinoStar]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]
 \definefontsynonym
[linostar-Italic][\typescriptthree-PalatinoLinoStarItalic]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]
 \definefontsynonym
[linostar-Bold][\typescriptthree-PalatinoLinoStarBold]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [linostar] [name]
  \setups[font:fallback:serif]
\definefontsynonym [Serif] [linostar]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic] [linostar-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold] [linostar-Bold]
\stoptypescript�

\starttypescript[starling-linostar] [texnansi]
  \definetypeface [starling-linostar] [rm][serif][linostar][default]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[starling-linostar][texnansi]

\setupbodyfont[starling-linostar,rm,10pt]

since the \typescriptthree-PalatinoLinoStarBold expands to
texnansi-PalatinoLinoStarBold ... do you have that font file?

Hans

* Re: unicode fontdefinition
@ 2005-11-25 13:17   ` sjoerd siebinga
From: sjoerd siebinga @ 2005-11-25 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans,

That did the trick.

On 25 Nov 2005, at 00:05, Hans Hagen wrote:

> you need something:
> \starttypescript [map] [linostar] [texnansi]
>   \loadmapfile [\typescripttwo-starling-linostar.map]
> \stoptypescript

Shouldn't this be \typescriptthree ?

> since the \typescriptthree-PalatinoLinoStarBold expands to texnansi-
> PalatinoLinoStarBold ... do you have that font file?

Yes, that fontfile was generated by texfont.

In font-uni.tex, I found two commands \defineunicodefont and
\setupunicodefont. However, it is not entirely clear to me how these
could be used?

Sjoerd

* Re: unicode fontdefinition
@ 2005-11-25 14:25     ` Hans Hagen