* beginners manual
@ 2005-11-21 22:03 Hans Hagen
                   ` (11 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-21 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code) so
i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread

So the question is:

- what can go out
- what should go in
- what should be updated

as well as:

- who will participate (in translation)
- how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related chapters)

Hans

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-22 16:00 ` VnPenguin
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-11-22 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/21/05, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code) so
> i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread
>
> So the question is:
>
> - what can go out
> - what should go in
> - what should be updated
>
> as well as:
>
> - who will participate (in translation)

I have no so many free time but I could organize (I hope) in VnOSS
community for vietnamese translation of ConTeXt's manuals.

Regards,
--
http://vnoss.org
Vietnamese Open Source Software Community

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-22 16:39 ` Olivier
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Olivier @ 2005-11-22 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting  "Hans Hagen" :
> -- was pragma@wxs.nl on Nov 21, 2005 at 11:03:49 --

> as well as:
>
> - who will participate (in translation)
> - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related chapters)

I'll be glad to help for the french translation.

By the way, what about the translation of the context core?

Olivier

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-22 16:56 ` Jose Antonio Rodriguez
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Jose Antonio Rodriguez @ 2005-11-22 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

A las 23:03 del lun 21 nov, Hans Hagen tuvo a bien escribir:

> as well as:
>
> - who will participate (in translation)
> - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related chapters)

I'd like to contribute with the spanish translation

--
José Antonio Rodríguez
jar@eideia.net

* Re: beginners manual
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-22 17:15 ` Mikael Persson
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Mikael Persson @ 2005-11-22 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I could think of translating to swedish. Depends on how much work it
is and about if it must be done before that or that day. I got pretty
much to do at work...

/Micke P

On 11/21/05, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code) so
> i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread
>
> So the question is:
>
> - what can go out
> - what should go in
> - what should be updated
>
> as well as:
>
> - who will participate (in translation)
> - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related chapters)
>
> Hans

* Re: beginners manual
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-22 19:32 ` Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-22 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code) so
> i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread
>
> So the question is:

Here is my 2 cents (numbers refer to the sections).

> - what can go out

  \setupsectionblock  (4)
  \indenting (34)
  twoletter language shortcuts (37)

> - what should go in

   \mainlanguage
   endnotes
   environments
   arranging&papersize
   quotes&quotations&narrower
   forms
   overlays
   typescripts
   regimes
   encodings?
   columnsets?
   natural tables?

> - what should be updated

   special characters: explain e.g. \{ and \[ (3)
   rename Headers => Sectioning or Structure (5)
   perhaps TABLE gets to much attention (11)
   rename Definitions => Descriptions (15,16)
   comments should be explained earlier (37)
   modules (38)

Cheers, Taco

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-22 20:51   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2005-11-22 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>   special characters: explain e.g. \{ and \[ (3)
That brings me to a thing I miss a lot. My LaTeX book had in the end a
few pages with special characters, which is the main reason I still look
in it.

I'd like to see - preferably at the last pages of the manual so one
finds them quickly in the printed version:
- somewhere: -, --, ---, |-| etc.
- somewhere: \/ (German example: Auf\/lage) to prevent the ligature
- \dots
- How to enter: $ & % # { } \ (esp. the "\")
- text mode accents
  \'o \type{\'o}  (maybe mention \oaccute as well?)
  \SS\ \type{\SS}
and text mode symbols \copyright, \S, ...
- mention that for different languages some additional methods exists
(e.g. de "u -> ü, "s -> ß; or for Greek; or ...)
- mathematical input
  Math accents
  Greek
  Symbols
  Maybe also AMS Symbols

In short I mean basically the following tables from "\LATEX
Kurzbeschreibung"
(http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/german/l2kurz.pdf):
- Page 19, Table 4 (accents and special letters) and Table 5 (symbols)
- page 32ff, Table 6 (math accents), Table 7 (small Greek letters),
Table 8 (capital Greek letters), Table 9 (further symbols), Table 10
("big" operators), Table 11 (binary operators), Table 12 (relations),
Table 13 (negated relations), Table 14 (arrows) and Table 15 (braces)

Tobias

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-23 10:33   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-23 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier wrote:

>By the way, what about the translation of the context core?

all we need is additional entries in the mult-com and mult-con files

Hans

* Re: beginners manual
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-23 20:15 ` Mojca Miklavec
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-11-23 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code) so
> i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread
>
> So the question is:
>
> - what can go out
> - what should go in
> - what should be updated

31.2. \showbodyfont[cmr]
32.2. has to be rewritten I guess (write something about
\enableregime[utf-8] and something about encodings)
38 (using modules): to be rewritten
C (auxilary files): mention texutil --purge[all]

What could be added:
- Tables: Natural tables (already mentioned by Taco). I just realized
that this is the only manual where the "usual" tables are actually
explained. I was looking for the explanation in cont-eni before.
- Bibliography
- Slides: some basic example with \usemodule[pre-whatever] to show the
user that making slides is no more difficult than making an A4
document
- Metafun: some basic examples and a reference to the manual
- XML: a basic example
- mention XeTeX & Aleph somewhere (at least under section with fonts
or lnguage-specific issues)

> as well as:
>
> - who will participate (in translation)

Slovenian translation is not rentable yet :(

> - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related chapters)

Not a bad idea. Encodings, regimes, \mainlanguage, using different
interface, French "active characters", quotations, Greek, Vietnamese,
Russian, ... under the same hood.

Mojca

* Re: beginners manual - Install
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-24  1:44 ` Miguel Queiros
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Miguel Queiros @ 2005-11-24  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

> I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code) so
> i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread
>
> So the question is:
>
> - what can go out
> - what should go in
> - what should be updated
>
> as well as:
>
> - who will participate (in translation)
> - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related chapters)

As a beginner myself and typesetting in Portuguese I can tell
you what I had troubles with:

- mainlanguage
- Special characters as º (\ordmasculine and stuff like that).

And maybe not in the beginners manual but I think there
should be an updated manual about how to install context.

I'm still using a context version from 2004.08 as it is the
only one it worked for me. I downloaded as far as I remember
the file mswincontext.zip , the stand alone version of
context, but the newer versions need Perl and Ruby to
be installed.

By the way... Are there any sugestions on the installation
of Ruby and Perl on windows ?

I think there should be some instructions
on how to install mswincontex.zip on any system, because the
dificulty in installing Context might drive some users away.

Anyway... Context is great ! I'm now typesetting my first
document with it. :)

Thank you,
Miguel Queirós

* Re: beginners manual - Install
@ 2005-11-24  8:53   ` Wolfgang Zillig
From: Wolfgang Zillig @ 2005-11-24  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miguel Queiros schrieb:

>Hi!
>

>>I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code) so
>>i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread
>>
>>So the question is:
>>
>>- what can go out
>>- what should go in
>>- what should be updated
>>
>>as well as:
>>
>>- who will participate (in translation)
>>- how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related chapters)
>>

>As a beginner myself and typesetting in Portuguese I can tell
>you what I had troubles with:
>
>- mainlanguage
>- Special characters as º (\ordmasculine and stuff like that).
>
>And maybe not in the beginners manual but I think there
>should be an updated manual about how to install context.
>
>I'm still using a context version from 2004.08 as it is the
>only one it worked for me. I downloaded as far as I remember
>the file mswincontext.zip , the stand alone version of
>context, but the newer versions need Perl and Ruby to
>be installed.
>

>By the way... Are there any sugestions on the installation
>of Ruby and Perl on windows ?

http://www.activestate.com/   they provide avtivepearl. It's no problem
to install it.

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ there you get ruby. They provide a link to
the "one click ruby installer" which you will find here:
http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl  there is the

after installing you should check if the *.exe of perl and ruby is in
the default path. you can easily check in the command line by
    calling ruby --version
    and
    perl --version

To get the context scripts running they should also be in the default
path (this given path is valid for my miktex installation, you probably
have to change it)!
    C:\texmf\scripts\context\perl
    C:\texmf\scripts\context\ruby

I had to add them manually.

Regards

Wolfgang

* Re: beginners manual
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-24 11:18 ` Otared Kavian
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Otared Kavian @ 2005-11-24 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thank you for your great work.
Regarding the beginners manual your are going to update, I have two
or three suggestions.
To begin with, I think we should designate a volunteer group of
people on this list to do some tasks in "parallel":

1) Since the installation of ConTeXt seems to be not so easy for
everyone, we should have at least three subgroups of people
experimenting, and then explaining, how to install and update ConTeXt
on Linux, Windows, MacOS X.
Once each subgroup has carried out the experimentation of the "How
to..." instructions, they would send them to you so that you can
include them in the Beginners Manual (abbreviated BM in the sequel...).
It is important to include in each subgroup a "wizard" and an
"amateur beginner": otherwise the "How to..." instructions may result
in something not really usable by real beginners.
For my part I am volunteering to be a (rather dumb...) beginner
regarding installation on MacOS X, and its use with XeTeX.
The same observation applies for the use of ConTeXt with non roman
languages under various operating systems.

2) We should divide the BM in $n$ parts ($n \geq 2$... but maybe $n=10
$) and designate one or two individuals for each part to test ALL the
codes and examples you give in the BM to make sure that they work
fine with a "basic" install of ConTeXt.

3) Two great features of ConTeXt are its versatility regarding
Metapost and presentations. In the BM these features should be
presented in a transparent way, since most beginners would not have
the patience or the technical knowledge of going through the source
files.

Best regards: OK

On 21 nov. 2005, at 23:03, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source
> code) so i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation'
> thread
>
> So the question is:
>
> - what can go out
> - what should go in
> - what should be updated
>
> as well as:
>
> - who will participate (in translation)
> - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related
> chapters)
>
> Hans

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-24 15:38   ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2005-11-24 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I could help with this translation to Swedish, although I of course
also have time constraints.
Half the work and twice the fun!

Johan

2005/11/22, Mikael Persson <mickep@gmail.com>:
> I could think of translating to swedish. Depends on how much work it
> is and about if it must be done before that or that day. I got pretty
> much to do at work...
>
> /Micke P
>
> On 11/21/05, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code) so
> > i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread
> >
> > So the question is:
> >
> > - what can go out
> > - what should go in
> > - what should be updated
> >
> > as well as:
> >
> > - who will participate (in translation)
> > - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related chapters)
> >
> > Hans

Johan Sandblom  N8, MRC, Karolinska sjh
t +46851776108  17176 Stockholm
m +46735521477  Sweden
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the
will to find out, which is the exact opposite"
- Bertrand Russell

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-24 22:29   ` Otared KAVIAN
From: Otared KAVIAN @ 2005-11-24 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thank you for your great work.
Regarding the beginners manual your are going to update, I have two
or three suggestions.
To begin with, I think we should designate a volunteer group of
people on this list to do some tasks in "parallel":

1) Since the installation of ConTeXt seems to be not so easy for
everyone, we should have at least three subgroups of people
experimenting, and then explaining, how to install and update ConTeXt
on Linux, Windows, MacOS X.
Once each subgroup has carried out the experimentation of the "How
to..." instructions, they would send them to you so that you can
include them in the Beginners Manual (abbreviated BM in the sequel...).
It is important to include in each subgroup a "wizard" and an
"amateur beginner": otherwise the "How to..." instructions may result
in something not really usable by real beginners.
For my part I am volunteering to be a (rather dumb...) beginner
regarding installation on MacOS X, and its use with XeTeX.
The same observation applies for the use of ConTeXt with non roman
languages under various operating systems.

2) We should divide the BM in $n$ parts ($n \geq 2$... but maybe $n=10
$) and designate one or two individuals for each part to test ALL the
codes and examples you give in the BM to make sure that they work
fine with a "basic" install of ConTeXt.

3) Two great features of ConTeXt are its versatility regarding
Metapost and presentations. In the BM these features should be
presented in a transparent way, since most beginners would not have
the patience or the technical knowledge of going through the source
files.

Best regards: OK

On 21 nov. 2005, at 23:03, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source
> code) so i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation'
> thread
>
> So the question is:
>
> - what can go out
> - what should go in
> - what should be updated
>
> as well as:
>
> - who will participate (in translation)
> - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related
> chapters)
>
> Hans

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-24 22:39   ` Maurice Diamantini (dom)
From: Maurice Diamantini (dom) @ 2005-11-24 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini (dom)

Le 23 nov. 05 à 21:15, Mojca Miklavec a écrit :

> What could be added:
> - Tables: Natural tables (already mentioned by Taco). I just realized
>   that this is the only manual where the "usual" tables are actually
>   explained. I was looking for the explanation in cont-eni before.
> - Bibliography
> - Slides: some basic example with \usemodule[pre-whatever] to show the
>   user that making slides is no more difficult than making an A4
>   document
> - Metafun: some basic examples and a reference to the manual
> - XML: a basic example

I agree with the above.
And for people comming from LaTeX, it would be nice to see also :
- a basic exemple for creating html from ConTeXt,
- some mathematics

Maurice,

* Re: beginners manual - Install
@ 2005-11-25  3:04     ` Miguel Queiros
From: Miguel Queiros @ 2005-11-25  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> http://www.activestate.com/   they provide avtivepearl. It's no problem
> to install it.
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ there you get ruby. They provide a link to
> the "one click ruby installer" which you will find here:
> http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl  there is the

I'v had downloaded already Perl from activestate, and I believe
I came across the ruby installer you mentioned but didn't installed
it yet...

> after installing you should check if the *.exe of perl and ruby is in
> the default path. you can easily check in the command line by
>     calling ruby --version
>     and
>     perl --version
>
> To get the context scripts running they should also be in the default
> path (this given path is valid for my miktex installation, you probably
> have to change it)!
>     C:\texmf\scripts\context\perl
>     C:\texmf\scripts\context\ruby
>
> I had to add them manually.

Thanks for you information... Pragma site also mentions ghostscript,
is it realy needed or only if you want postscripts ?

Once again thank you,
Miguel Queirós

* Re: beginners manual
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-25  4:41 ` Xiao Jianfeng
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-11-25  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code)
> so i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread
>
> So the question is:
>
> - what can go out
> - what should go in
> - what should be updated
>
> as well as:
>
> - who will participate (in translation)
> - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related
> chapters)
>
> Hans

 I recommend that the original manual in English be kept in the translation.

 I mean that we put the translation of each paragraph just after the
English version, so people can refer to the original manual easily when
they don't fully understand the translation. I've seen a Chinese
translation of python manual in this manner, which I think if great for
me. Just like this:

[......paragraph one..............English version.................]

[......paragraph one..............translated version..............]

[......paragraph two..............English version.................]

[......paragraph two..............translated version..............]

[......the last paragraph ..............English version.................]

[......the last paragraph ..............translated version..............]

Hope my bad English didn't confuse anyone.

Regards,

xiaojf

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-25  9:47     ` Wolfgang Zillig
From: Wolfgang Zillig @ 2005-11-25  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maurice Diamantini (dom) schrieb:

> Le 23 nov. 05 à 21:15, Mojca Miklavec a écrit :
>

>> What could be added:
>> - Tables: Natural tables (already mentioned by Taco). I just realized
>>   that this is the only manual where the "usual" tables are actually
>>   explained. I was looking for the explanation in cont-eni before.
>> - Bibliography
>> - Slides: some basic example with \usemodule[pre-whatever] to show the
>>   user that making slides is no more difficult than making an A4
>>   document
>> - Metafun: some basic examples and a reference to the manual
>> - XML: a basic example
>

> I agree with the above.
> And for people comming from LaTeX, it would be nice to see also :
> - a basic exemple for creating html from ConTeXt,

I would argument that it is easyer to create ConTeXt from a propper
XML/XHTML source! But as it is the beginner manual a reference to the
XML manual should be enough.

> - some mathematics

not really a big problem, but you have the choice also to use MathML.

Wolfgang

* Re: beginners manual
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-25 13:10 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-11-25 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

this is a follow-up to the first message... Are you (Hans) collecting the
sugesstions from this thread or should they be wikified?

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: beginners manual (xml input versus html output)
@ 2005-11-25 14:02       ` Maurice Diamantini
From: Maurice Diamantini @ 2005-11-25 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini

Le 25 nov. 05 à 10:47, Wolfgang Zillig a écrit :

> Maurice Diamantini (dom) schrieb:
>> And for people comming from LaTeX, it would be nice to see also :
>> - a basic exemple for creating html from ConTeXt,
>
> I would argument that it is easyer to create ConTeXt from a propper
> XML/XHTML source! But as it is the beginner manual a reference to
> the XML manual should be enough.
>
>> - some mathematics
>
> not really a big problem, but you have the choice also to use MathML.

This is always the same  difference of opinion :

- Some people like to see the only input format to be xml (write xml for
   math, ...) and think *TeX as one of the output formats (as for
   pdf, xhtml, ps...).

- Other poeple (specialy those coming from TeX community) prefere
   writing by hand (yes it does yet exists !) some readable and lite
document
   with math formula or other, then convert then as pdf printable
   output and (if possible also some (x)?html resizable ouput format

But perhaps I doesn't understand ConTeXt xml features. Perhaps
context is able to generate xml files instead of only reading them?
If it is the case, then let me know, as it could solve the html
navigator
problem. So I'll have to learn more about xm and xml styles?

Maurice

* Re: beginners manual
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-25 14:05 ` Xiao Jianfeng
From: Xiao Jianfeng @ 2005-11-25 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to clean up the beginners manual (at least the source code)
> so i think this s a good moment to pick up the 'translation' thread
>
> So the question is:
>
> - what can go out
> - what should go in
> - what should be updated
>
> as well as:
>
> - who will participate (in translation)
> - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related
> chapters)
>
> Hans

I can do some work with the Chinese translation if there is no other
people going to take this job.

One thing I have to mention is that I'm not good at ConTeXting, and I
don't have too much time either,
it will probably take a little long time for me to translate the whole
manual. But I can promise that
I will try my best to do a good job if I take the job.

Regards,

xiaojf

* Re: Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-25 14:24   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-25 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>Hi,
>
>this is a follow-up to the first message... Are you (Hans) collecting the
>sugesstions from this thread or should they be wikified?

it sounds like a good idea to wiki them (currently i print them -)

Hans

* Re: Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-25 18:22   ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-11-25 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 Nov 2005 14:10:14 +0100, Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is a follow-up to the first message... Are you (Hans) collecting the
> sugesstions from this thread or should they be wikified?

\startOT
I love the verb "wikify" :-)
\stopOT

* Re: beginners manual
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-28 11:46 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2005-11-28 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> I'm going to clean up the beginners manual

Yippee! :-)
Having read one printout to shreds I really appreciate this...

> - what should go in

As has been suggested here to an extent, there should be attachments (or
separate smaller manuals) on how to install and update ConTeXt in
different operating systems (Mac OS 10.4 was a breeze even for a new Mac
user, Windows is a great pain in the butt every time; still running
TeXLive 2004 ConTeXt on this machine because I can't afford to break
anything). As I probably should do it for work anyway, I'm willing to
write the part for MsWinConTeXt (for Win 2000/XP) as long as I get at
least until the end of the year.

I also suggest writing a separate set of instructions for those people
who migrate from LaTeX (like my brother did) and for those who migrate
from MSWord (like I did) or Apple's Pages (or similar word processing
software). I strongly feel that the beginners' manual per se should be
for ALL beginners and shouldn't refer to either Word or LaTeX.
Again, as I probably have to write it at some point anyway, I'm willing
to chip in for the MS Word part and I might even be able to write a
draft for others to fill in with.

> - what should be updated

Tables is what would be really useful. This far I've only used tabulate
and \table, but I have a faint idea that "natural tables" would be the
real solution to my problems - but finding info on them has been so
challenging that I've given up this far.

I also personally feel that a totally different approach to the fonts
chapter would make my life a lot easier. I'm sure this partly relates to
my Windows background, but for example the term "font family" was
totally alien to me when I started using ConTeXt.
And of course, much of the first weeks with ConTeXt (in Windows) were
overshadowed by the important question of "how to make the fonts and
font switches work at all". I still don't understand the system at all,
so even though I've successfully gotten a few of the TeXLive fonts to
work, I always have to refer to my older ConTeXt documents to copy the
code that has worked at least at some stage.
[In Word, you switch the font of the Normal style from Times New Roman
to Century Schoolbook with about three clicks of the mouse - in ConTeXt
the same may be a three-hour or three-day operation, at least with my
not-even-intermediate skills... I love ConTeXt, I hate fonts.]

The order of things in the beginners' manual has often frustrated me as
I feel that "same stuff" is split in different places all over manual. I
have not dealt with math, but when I taught word processing with Word,
these would be things that come up in the very, very beginning:

- how to change the font (family, size, emphasis)
- how to change the paragraph (line spacing, paragraph spacing, indents,
alignment)
- how to print preview i.e. see the document as laid out on paper (in
ConTeXt this would be "how to compile and view; maybe put more detailed
instructions into the ConTeXt in Unix/Linux/Mac/Windows
attachment/manual and just refer to these)
- how to change the margins [I had REAL problems with this in ConTeXt,
the whole context is so different; but this should probably go into the
"ConTeXt for word processor users" chapter]
[- how to save and retrieve a document; not really an issue with
ConTeXt, I suspect all users are this much computer literate]

Next step is often additional text features:
- headings (in Word, "header" is only top part of page, the
section/chapter titles are called headings)
- lists (i.e. itemize in ConTeXt)
- page numbers (many Word users never use their header/footer for
anything else!)
- page breaking
- hyphenation

And, as many people migrate to ConTeXt when having to deal with large
documents and/or math, the next step for many would probably be:
- figures (i.e. graphics)
- tables
- footnotes
- header & footer
- formulae, units, math otherwise
- special characters!
- registers, references
- interactivity?

If ConTeXt comes nowadays with modules, those should probably get a more
prominent position in the manual and obviously a lot more detailed
explanation than the current one. If I've understood the concept
correctly, the modules are comparable to Word templates, but this far
the information has been so split that I haven't bothered to piece it
together to actually even try to use a module, not to talk about making
one (although that bit probably belongs to the big manual).

> - who will participate (in translation)

I can do Finnish, it shouldn't take that long once the English original
is ready. A bunch of LaTeX stuff exists in Finnish and that should help
with the terminology (should probably try to stick to existing stuff)
and I can possibly enlist brother to review what I've done, if there're
no other Finnish speakers on this list.
I'll also be quite happy to proof the Swedish manual but as there are
native speakers of Swedish on this list, I'd rather leave the actual
translation work to them (especially when I use Swedish as spoken in
Finland, which sometimes makes a difference).

> - how to deal with localization (maybe dedicated language related chapters)

Yes, definitely. Having now worked with translations of originally
English ConTeXt document to German and Spanish I've had to look for
answers for the following problems:
- hyphenation (how to turn it on and how to prevent it)
- labels in captions and references
   (how to switch language, how to adjust)
- regiments
- character sets (especially non-Latin stuff)
- punctuation rules (for example one vs. two spaces after period)

Sometimes I'd really, really love to have a list of what characters and
languages ConTeXt is/is not capable of coping with, just a quick
reference would help...

A few thoughts from the Windows front,

Mari

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-28 20:16     ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-11-28 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/28/05, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> so for vietnamese you need another encoding.
>
> (i added language modes, so we can now do for vietnamese):
>
> \startmode[*vn]
>     \enableregime[utf]
>     \setupencoding[default=t5]
> \stopmode
>
> \startnotmode[atpragma]
>
>     \usetypescriptfile[type-buy]
>     \usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
>     \setupbodyfont[palatino,10pt]
>
> \stopnotmode
>
> (in ma-cb-style.tex)
>
> can you test that?

It does not work :(

(/work/apps/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-buy.tex))kpathsea:
Running mktextfm uplr8t
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfive; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input uplr8t
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf uplr8t
! I can't find file `uplr8t'.
<*> ...:=ljfive; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input uplr8t

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...:=ljfive; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input uplr8t

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: uplr8t.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfive; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input uplr8t' failed to make uplr8t.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font \*palatino12ptrmtf*:=uplr8t at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file no
t found.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \let \localrelativefontsiz...

\fontstrategy ...me \fontclass #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                  \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                  \fi \iftryingfont \fontstr...

\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                                                  \relax \fi \iftryingfont \...
<argument> \getvalue {\@style@ \fontstyle }
                                           \edef \fontstyle {\fontstyle }\if...
l.73    \setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

? x

But when I try:

\startnotmode[atpragma]
   \enableregime[utf]
   \setupencoding[default=t5]
  \usetypescript[berry][\defaultencoding]
  %\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]
  \usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
  \setupbodyfont[palatino,10pt]
\stopnotmode

It's OK.

Thanks,

--

@ 2005-11-28 19:45   ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-11-28 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/28/05, Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi> wrote:

> finding anything on Pragma website (*never* install newer Acrobat Reader
> on a Windows that already has an older full Acrobat...).

\startOT
At work, I have Acrobat 5.0 (full) + Acrobat Reader 7.x => work perfectly :-)
\stopOT

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-28 15:09   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-28 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mari Voipio wrote:

> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> I 'reorganized' (split) the beginners manual and put it in svn, so
>> anyone who is willing to translate can check out a copy.
>

> OK, I'm either out of the loop (had off-the-Internet holiday) or just
> a dummy Windows user, but the above doesn't really parse here so
> cannot even get started...
>
> I've used CVS, but SVN is totally new for me (although I've seen it
> mentioned here once or twice) - so if anyone has recommendations for
> what client/program to use in Windows (2000/XP) and Mac OS 10.4, I'd
> be very interested. And a URL or other directions towards the SVN
> server (or whatever it is) would be appreciated; my work computer
> isn't very cooperative with online pdf pages, so I've got real
> problems with finding anything on Pragma website (*never* install
> newer Acrobat Reader on a Windows that already has an older full
> Acrobat...).

for windows ... google for "tortoise svn"

Hans

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-28 14:08   ` Wolfgang Zillig
From: Wolfgang Zillig @ 2005-11-28 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mari Voipio schrieb:

> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> I 'reorganized' (split) the beginners manual and put it in svn, so
>> anyone who is willing to translate can check out a copy.
>

> OK, I'm either out of the loop (had off-the-Internet holiday) or just
> a dummy Windows user, but the above doesn't really parse here so
> cannot even get started...
>
> I've used CVS, but SVN is totally new for me (although I've seen it
> mentioned here once or twice) - so if anyone has recommendations for
> what client/program to use in Windows (2000/XP) and Mac OS 10.4, I'd
> be very interested. And a URL or other directions towards the SVN
> server (or whatever it is) would be appreciated; my work computer
> isn't very cooperative with online pdf pages, so I've got real
> problems with finding anything on Pragma website (*never* install
> newer Acrobat Reader on a Windows that already has an older full
> Acrobat...).

For Win there is tortoiseSVN: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/  You will
have to install it.
Then create somewhere a new folder.
Rightclick on that folder and there should "SVN Checkout" available in
the menu
use this URL svn://ctx.pragma-ade.nl/manuals

When I'm not completely wrong that should be all.

Wolfgang

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-28 13:56   ` Taco Hoekwater
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-28 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

The SVN repository is here:

   svn://ctx.pragma-ade.nl/manuals

but that only works when you have subversion client installed.

In the mean time or for people that cannot get subversion running
at all: I have an automatic checkout script that gets called
every hour, and the working directory of that is online as:

   http://context.aanhet.net/svn/

So if you do not mind a lag of 30min \pm 30, you can download/browse
that from your normal internet browser.

Cheers, Taco

Mari Voipio wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> I 'reorganized' (split) the beginners manual and put it in svn, so
>> anyone who is willing to translate can check out a copy.
>

> OK, I'm either out of the loop (had off-the-Internet holiday) or just a
> dummy Windows user, but the above doesn't really parse here so cannot
> even get started...
>
> I've used CVS, but SVN is totally new for me (although I've seen it
> mentioned here once or twice) - so if anyone has recommendations for
> what client/program to use in Windows (2000/XP) and Mac OS 10.4, I'd be
> very interested. And a URL or other directions towards the SVN server
> (or whatever it is) would be appreciated; my work computer isn't very
> cooperative with online pdf pages, so I've got real problems with
> finding anything on Pragma website (*never* install newer Acrobat Reader
> on a Windows that already has an older full Acrobat...).
>

> Feeling really stupid, but grateful for any help
>
> Mari

* Re: beginners manual
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-28 13:13 ` Mari Voipio
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Mari Voipio @ 2005-11-28 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-11-28 10:27           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-28 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

VnPenguin wrote:

>On 11/28/05, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>

>>>Thanks, it's ok. But I have to add:
>>>
>>>\usemodule[abr-01]
>>>
>>>into ma-cb-abbreviations.tex in order to fix error \ASCII non defined.
>>>

>>no, you need a new version of context -)
>>

>Release 2005.11.24 is not ok for this ?

i patched that at the day i uploaded the manuals to svn -)

Hans

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-28 10:03     ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-11-28 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Libor Škarvada, David Jež,
	Ján Buša, Petr Tesařík

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
>
>> I got unexpected positive responce to idea of beginners manual
>> translation on Saturday's Czech/Slovak TUG meeting. The small working
>> group of 5 people was establish there. Nobody but me has context
>> experience now, but I think it is not a serious drawback for translating.
>
> i don't know if david antos was present, but he knows his way around
> context and can be of help (given that he has time)

He was not. Anybody's help will be welcomed, especially David...

Vit

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-28  7:27         ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-11-28  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-11-27 23:29       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-27 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

VnPenguin wrote:

>On 11/26/05, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>

>>VnPenguin wrote:
>>

>>>Just tried to compile:
>>>$ texexec --pdf ma-cb-en
>>>
>>>and I got:
>>>
>>>[skip]
>>>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Please read the beginning of the "mfont.tex from manuals" thread
>>(http://archive.contextgarden.net). It is the exact same error
>>David Arnold had.
>>

>Thanks, it's ok. But I have to add:
>
>\usemodule[abr-01]
>
>into ma-cb-abbreviations.tex in order to fix error \ASCII non defined.

no, you need a new version of context -)

when setting this up i decided to add a language system mode (i'll send
you the file) so that we can let styles adapt to languages

Hans

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-27 23:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-27 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

VnPenguin wrote:

>Hi Hans et al,
>
>Just tried to compile "ma-cb-en" with T5. Here are some remarks:
>
>1. \def\TitlePage#1#2#3 in file "ma-cb-style.tex" does not work with T5.
>Because of
>
>\definedfont[SansBold at 40pt]
>
>I lossed so many vietnamese accented characters. I have to change to
>
>\switchtobodyfont[40pt]\bf
>
>in order to make T5 work. I think the file "ma-cb-style.tex" needs
>more attention for multi-lang support.

sure, the only thing i did so far is split and reorganize;

at your place, it runs with:

\startnotmode[atpragma]

    \usetypescriptfile[type-buy]
    \usetypescript[palatino][ec]
    \setupbodyfont[palatino,10pt]

\stopnotmode

so for vietnamese you need another encoding.

(i added language modes, so we can now do for vietnamese):

\startmode[*vn]
    \enableregime[utf]
    \setupencoding[default=t5]
\stopmode

\startnotmode[atpragma]

    \usetypescriptfile[type-buy]
    \usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
    \setupbodyfont[palatino,10pt]

\stopnotmode

(in ma-cb-style.tex)

can you test that?

>2. In file "ma-cb-en-document.tex" :
>\CONTEXT\ expects a plain \ASCII\ input file. Of course you
>can use any texteditor or wordprocessor you want, but you
>should not forget that \CONTEXT\ can only read \ASCII\
>input. Most texteditors or wordprocessors can export your
>file as plain \ASCII.
>What do you think about a plain text input file in UTF-8 charset ?
>It's not ASCII by definition, but the current ConTeXt (pdfetex) can
>work with it no problem. All my works with ConTeXt are prepared in
>UTF-8 input file.

sure, no problem for the vn version

Hans

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-27 22:34   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-27 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Libor Škarvada, David Jež,
	Petr Tesařík, Ján Buša

Vit Zyka wrote:

> I got unexpected positive responce to idea of beginners manual
> translation on Saturday's Czech/Slovak TUG meeting. The small working
> group of 5 people was establish there. Nobody but me has context
> experience now, but I think it is not a serious drawback for translating.

i don't know if david antos was present, but he knows his way around
context and can be of help (given that he has time)

> There was an interest (when the work will be finnished) to publish it
> in the Czechoslovac TeX Bulletin. I find only advantages for ConTeXt
> to do so, nevertheless I have to ask if such idea is welcomed.

sure, no problem

Hans

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-27 13:27 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-11-27 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Libor Škarvada, David Jež,
	Ján Buša, Petr Tesařík

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I 'reorganized' (split) the beginners manual and put it in svn, so
> anyone who is willing to translate can check out a copy. I didn't yet
> change anything (only the file structure etc) and the styles need a
> cleanup (more modern setup). Because each chapter now has its own file,
> we can (as suggested on this list) edit piecewise. Don't start yet.
> First we need to add/remove things and rewrite chapters. But you can try
> to compile the file.
>
> Hans

Hello,

@ 2005-11-26 23:12 ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-11-26 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

That's all for now.

Thank you for your work,
Regards,

--

@ 2005-11-26 19:46     ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-11-26 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans, Taco, et al,

It's time for me to wax philosophic on the beginner's manual. I've
read a few posts to this list, and tried to think back to my
experience, and looked at my troubles now, but I haven't reread the
beginner's manual as yet. That I will do in the upcoming weeks.

My first thought is this: In my opinion, the beginner's manual
remains one of very best sources for Context.

My second thought is the fact that this is a beginner's manual in
every sense of the word. That is, you need to be very careful with
what goes into the manual. Truly, a guiding principle should be: What
does a beginner need to see? Think of a user who is beginning with a
blank slate, or alternatively, think of a user who's been gone for a
while (I've qualified for this category on several occasions and
revisiting the beginner's manual has always been helpful). What does
this user need to see? And what does this user need to be protected
from?

First and foremost, you've got to make sure that users on different
platforms have a good install of Context. This could be a set of
appendices: Appendix A -- Installation on Windows, Appendix B --
Installation on Linux, Appendix C -- Installation on Mac OS. Again,
users could be very helpful in testing these instructions. This is a
"beginner's manual," so it would be helpful if these instructions
were of the "Quick Start" variety, as involved instructions will only
serve to frustrate the beginner. Of course, these instructions should
include a  "Hello, World!" example in order to test for a valid
installation.

Whenever I teach a new concept in mathematics, I'm faced with a
choice of two directions. I can start with the concept, then give
examples. Or I can do some examples, then discuss the abstraction at
a higher level. I am constantly forgetting that the second method is
usually a better choice for my students. For example, suppose that I
want to show that any multiple of an eigenvector is again an
eigenvector of a given matrix. I can first prove it in the abstract (A
(cx)=c(Ax)=c(lx)=l(cx)), then give examples. Alternatively, I can put
a little 2x2 matrix on the board, find the eigenvectors, then
demonstrate that multiples of the eigenvectors are again
eigenvectors. Once the students have the idea, then I can put up the
abstraction of the general proof. A reference manual is an example of
the first method, a beginner's manual should follow the second
method. It's easier, in my opinion, to learn by example, to learn by
doing.

Topics should be included or excluded based on a guiding principle:
What does a beginner need to know to get started? It will be tempting
to include using a different font, or talk about interactive
documents, etc, but these are advanced topics, which belong in
separate manuals where space and time will do them justice. Indeed,
what is truly needed is a separate beginner's manual on interactive
documents.

Layout really threw me for a loss the first time (and times
thereafter) I went through the beginner's manual. I was confronted
with terms (cutspace, backspace) that might be familiar to
typographers, but I had no clue what they meant. I can remember
spending countless hours tweaking layout parameters, printing, then
measuring with a ruler, only to scratch my head when I did not get
predicted results. To this day, I am still not completely sure what I
am doing in this area. I think what is needed in the beginner's
manual is an image similar to Patrick's \ShowLayout result from his t-
layout module. Secondly, it would be time well spent to build an
improved \showframe command. Perhaps this even exists, but I am not
aware of it. It needs to provide accurate measurements, even when
printed and the rulers come out. Perhaps if a user included the
\showframe command, a trigger of some sort could change the size of
the paper that the document is typeset on, with an outline of the
actual paper size, and the edges, margins, headers, etc, all framed
and in view, even if they lie outside the actual paper outline.

List users can help to make sure that the manual is free of errors.
If something doesn't work, this is much more upsetting to a beginner
than a seasoned user. A seasoned user might say "oh, that's just a
typo, do this," but a beginner has an entirely different reaction on
an entirely different emotional level.

Troubleshooting should get some time in the beginner's manual. People
coming from a Word environment are not going to understand what is
going on when a compilation halts. Seasoned TeX users know about
typing h, x, s, e, etc, but people who've never seen TeX before are
going to freak out. So, some time should be spent on troubleshooting.
Or, a conscious decision has to be made: Will we assume that all
beginners in Context have TeX experience?

So, I advise, stick to the basics. Get the user started. Ask yourself
what a user needs to write a good paper: Title page, abstract, toc,
index, bibliography, section headers, headers and footers, footnotes,
labels and references, mathematics (somewhat weak in the current
manual), tables, figures (including the idea of floats which bothers
users coming from Word no end), lists, layout, alignment, quotations,
formating text (bold, italic, slant, verbatim, etc),  defining new
environments for examples, definitions, theorems, etc., and some
small macro capability.

Finally, you should certainly provide pointers to advanced documents
where users can continue their growth.

I hope this helps.

David

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-26 12:57     ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-11-26 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-11-26 11:07   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-26 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

VnPenguin wrote:
> Just tried to compile:
> $ texexec --pdf ma-cb-en
>
> and I got:
>
> [skip]

Hi,

Please read the beginning of the "mfont.tex from manuals" thread
(http://archive.contextgarden.net). It is the exact same error
David Arnold had.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: beginners manual
@ 2005-11-26  8:11 ` VnPenguin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-11-26  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/26/05, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I 'reorganized' (split) the beginners manual and put it in svn, so
> anyone who is willing to translate can check out a copy. I didn't yet
> change anything (only the file structure etc) and the styles need a
> cleanup (more modern setup). Because each chapter now has its own file,
> we can (as suggested on this list) edit piecewise. Don't start yet.
> First we need to add/remove things and rewrite chapters. But you can try
> to compile the file.

Just tried to compile:
$ texexec --pdf ma-cb-en

and I got:

[skip]
[...]

l.65     \setupbodyfont[palatino,10pt]
?
------------ end --------------------------------------------
My ConTeXt:
$ texexec --version

 TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

               texexec : TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
               texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
                   tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
               context : ver: 2005.11.24
               cont-en : ver: 2005.11.24  fmt: 2005.11.24  mes: english

        total run time : 1 seconds

I'm wrong my compiling command ?

Thank you,
--
http://vnoss.org
Vietnamese Open Source Software Community

* beginners manual
@ 2005-11-26  0:53 Hans Hagen
                   ` (3 more replies)