* texteuro
@ 2005-11-28 16:22 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2005-11-28 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I clearly have some misunderstanding about the typesetting of the
euro sign.

In an attempt to implement the MathTimes font and expert fontset, I
came across a problem with typesetting the euro.

I could not redefine the \texteuro. In \showcharacters it stays empty.
Doing \definecharacter texteuro to_some_value in a typescript does
not work (giving: Runaway argument?)

The euro does appear when I define it explicitely (as coming from the
marvosym font):
     \def\euro{\symbol[europe][EUR]}
But then \texteuro is still unaffected and therefore doing
"\enableregime[mac] € (euro)" does not work.

Any pointer how to solve this?

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer

* Re: texteuro
@ 2005-11-29 11:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-29 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:

> I clearly have some misunderstanding about the typesetting of the
> euro sign.
>
> In an attempt to implement the MathTimes font and expert fontset, I
> came across a problem with typesetting the euro.
>
> I could not redefine the \texteuro. In \showcharacters it stays empty.
> Doing \definecharacter texteuro to_some_value in a typescript does
> not work (giving: Runaway argument?)

has to do with \definecharacter being space delimited and typescripts
being space ignorant

you define characters in an encoding vector, so

\startencoding[whatever]

   \definecharacter ....

\stopencoding

which you can do anyplace

> The euro does appear when I define it explicitely (as coming from the
> marvosym font):
>     \def\euro{\symbol[europe][EUR]}
> But then \texteuro is still unaffected and therefore doing
> "\enableregime[mac] � (euro)" does not work.

i don't know if there is an euro in math times

> Any pointer how to solve this?

this is one of the unfortunate trial and error situations (depends on
the font)

Hans

* Re: texteuro
@ 2005-12-01 13:08   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2005-12-01 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 29, 2005, at 12:36, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> I could not redefine the \texteuro. In \showcharacters it stays
>> empty.
>> Doing \definecharacter texteuro to_some_value in a typescript
>> does  not work (giving: Runaway argument?)
>>

> has to do with \definecharacter being space delimited and
> typescripts being space ignorant
>
> you define characters in an encoding vector, so
> \startencoding[whatever]
>   \definecharacter ....
> \stopencoding
> which you can do anyplace

I now put "\startencoding[texnansi]\definecharacter texteuro {\symbol
[europe][EUR]}\stopencoding" in the Tex document sourcetext for a
font having texnansi encoding but no euro symbol; that works.

However, it seems a bit awkward to have to remember to do this for
each document -- and remember to delete/change it when another font
is chosen for the document.
As you explained, in contrast to for example "\def\euro{\symbol
[europe][EUR]}" this definition does not work inside a typescript.
Is the only generic solution perhaps to be found in special encoding
files coupled to specific fonts? I.e. having a separate texnansi
coding for fonts with and without euro symbol?

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer