* tetex or texlive on linux
@ 2005-11-29 20:27 olivier Turlier
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: olivier Turlier @ 2005-11-29 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,
I'm going to install context on a linux box (ubuntu 5.10).

1) I wish to hear texnicians (rather than aficionados) words on wich tex
distro fit best for mainly context use, on fonts optimisation, for
exemple, etc.

2) is informations on contextgarden wiki are still uptodate for tetex
install ?

TIA

--
Olivier TURLIER

* Re: tetex or texlive on linux
@ 2005-11-29 20:34 ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-11-29 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/29/05, olivier Turlier <o.turlier@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm going to install context on a linux box (ubuntu 5.10).
>
> 1) I wish to hear texnicians (rather than aficionados) words on wich tex
> distro fit best for mainly context use, on fonts optimisation, for
> exemple, etc.

teTeX is a good choice. Of course there is also TeXlive :-)

> 2) is informations on contextgarden wiki are still uptodate for tetex
> install ?

Yes,

--
http://vnoss.org
Vietnamese Open Source Software Community

* Re: tetex or texlive on linux
@ 2005-11-29 21:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-29 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

olivier Turlier wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I'm going to install context on a linux box (ubuntu 5.10).
>
> 1) I wish to hear texnicians (rather than aficionados) words on wich
> tex distro fit best for mainly context use, on fonts optimisation, for
> exemple, etc.
>
> 2) is informations on contextgarden wiki are still uptodate for tetex
> install ?

if you don't need latex, you can take the minimal context distribution
for linux; it has all you need

Hans

* Re: tetex or texlive on linux
@ 2005-11-29 21:59   ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2005-11-29 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Salut Olivier,

teTeX benefits from an excellent integration with debian-like distros
i.e. you can update with the last version, install or not some exotic
packages like prosper for LaTeX (.deb package), tetex-frog for french
support. etc. But since TeXlive is based on teTeX, I believe that more
packages are included (some PSTricks extensions pst-*** or prosper). Of
course, you have to take these considerations into account only if you
will use LaTeX.

I'm learning ConTeXt for a week after 3-4 of LaTeX practice and I have
installed texlive2005 after some unexpected experiments with teTeX. Now,
my fonts-related problem is solved so I will maybe retry ConTeXt with
teTeX... In *my* opinion, teTeX is lightest because when you need a
package, apt works well and if there is no deb package, you can easilly
install it manually (a0poster, HAProsper, Thèse Loria...)
I need a complete distrib of TeX with LaTeX support because I need it
for publication purposes and I don't want to port all my doc to ConTeXt
yet... If you need ConTeXt without LaTeX, the better solution is
effectively to follow Hans's advice.

With teTeX and TeXlive, fonts-related problem seem not (*are* not, to
me,) trivial but the mailing list is a good start point...

Another point, if you need a multi-OS distrib of (La)TeX => texlive is
the solution since teTeX is only for linux.

For internals, I don't know well diff between teTeX and TeXlive.

Cordialement,

If you need more advices or precisions (in french) you can contact me
directly

@ 2005-11-29 23:35 ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2005-11-29 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I've tried to reuse ConTeXt with tetex (Debian unstable package) and :
1. pdfTeX version is 1.21 (texlive2005 give 1.3x)
2. Lucida font is apparently more difficult to manage with teTeX

Experience from other people ?

Conclusion : apt-get remove tetex-* then reinstall texlive2005... If you
don't want to spend a lot of time on configuration

olivier Turlier a écrit :

> Hi everybody,
> I'm going to install context on a linux box (ubuntu 5.10).
>
> 1) I wish to hear texnicians (rather than aficionados) words on wich
> tex distro fit best for mainly context use, on fonts optimisation, for
> exemple, etc.
>
> 2) is informations on contextgarden wiki are still uptodate for tetex
> install ?
>
> TIA

* Re: tetex or texlive on linux
@ 2005-11-30  8:21     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-30  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> For internals, I don't know well diff between teTeX and TeXlive.

there is also the 'tex collection' which is texlive ++

the big collection tree (also used by protext) has more goodies; due to
all kind ot licence issues tetex/texlive tend to become smaller; some
fonts for instance are free but permit no changes to shapes (which is ok
for me);

Hans