* 'empty string' test in MP
@ 2005-11-29 21:26 Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2005-11-29 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I pass a string to a MP graphic using \setMPtext{LABEL}{TEXT}. The
string can also be empty, and then no action (for the text) is taken.
How can I test in MP, if the given \MPstring{LABEL} is empty?

I have tried everything I can imagine in the last one hour, but no
success. Not my day...

This is the old, not working version

if not(\MPstring{LABEL}="") : % is always true.

Peter

* Re: 'empty string' test in MP
@ 2005-11-30  8:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-30  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I pass a string to a MP graphic using \setMPtext{LABEL}{TEXT}. The
>string can also be empty, and then no action (for the text) is taken.
>How can I test in MP, if the given \MPstring{LABEL} is empty?
>
>I have tried everything I can imagine in the last one hour, but no
>success. Not my day...
>
>This is the old, not working version
>
>if not(\MPstring{LABEL}="") : % is always true.

unless to set it to nothign (currently you don't assign it at all)

take this:

\setupcolors[state=start]

\starttext

\startuseMPgraphic{test}
    fill fullcircle
        scaled 1cm
        withcolor if not(\MPstring{XX}="") : red else : green fi ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\useMPgraphic{test} \start \setMPtext{XX}{} \useMPgraphic{test} \stop

\unprotect

\def\MPtext       #1{\executeifdefined{\@@MPT#1}\empty}
\def\MPstring    #1{"\executeifdefined{\@@MPT#1}\empty"}
\def\MPbetex #1{btex \executeifdefined{\@@MPT#1}\empty etex}

\protect

\useMPgraphic{test} \start \setMPtext{XX}{} \useMPgraphic{test} \stop

\stoptext

the current definitions return "\relax" when a text is not defined; i'll
change the definitions

Hans

* Re: 'empty string' test in MP
@ 2005-11-30 12:36   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2005-11-30 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I pass a string to a MP graphic using \setMPtext{LABEL}{TEXT}. The
>> string can also be empty, and then no action (for the text) is taken.
>> How can I test in MP, if the given \MPstring{LABEL} is empty?
>>
>> I have tried everything I can imagine in the last one hour, but no
>> success. Not my day...
>>
>> This is the old, not working version
>>
>> if not(\MPstring{LABEL}="") : % is always true.
>>

> unless to set it to nothign (currently you don't assign it at all)

yes and no. I had an older macro

\XXmacro[#1]#2{%
\ifsecondargument\setMPtext{XX}{\SomeFontsettings\strut#2}\else\setMPtext{XX}{}\fi

which is naturally always true. I replaced it with a \doiftextelse and
now everything is working as expected.
Thanks for the enlightenment and the nice example :)

Peter