From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: LucidaBright fonts...I'm stumped
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:52:32 +0100	[thread overview]

Henk Koster wrote:

>I've been using teTeX - LaTeX - LucidaBright fonts for many years, but am
>unable to make these fonts work in ConTeXt. My present setup after installing
>teTeX (a Debian or Ubuntu package):
>
>1. Make a directory /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy
>
>2. Copy the LB .pfb files to subdirectories lubright, lucida, lucidfax,
>   lucsans and lumath
>
>3. Run texhash
>
>and everything works fine in LaTeX -- I only have to specify
>\usepackage{lucidbry} in the preamble of my documents. Couldn't be easier.
>
>I've read through some of the archived messages on this newsgroup for
>clues for making LB fonts work with ConTeXt, I have even tried following
>the suggested steps, but no dice. Could someone here please list the
>precise steps required to get from my above teTeX setup to one that works
>in ConTeXt?

lucida is just one of the many possible commercial fonts that one can
install so it has no special treatment (ok, the math needs some care)

the reason why it works in 'one step' in latex is that it  uses the kb
naming scheme exclusively and only supports a few encodings (in theory
many, but in practice distributions only ship ec things, maybe for
lucida also the texnansi encoded things)

(btw, interesting that subdirectories are uses, esp since the latest
texlive has subdirectories for for instance ams fonts)

if you want to use the kb names, you need to make a mapping from the
more verbose names to the ones you want

\definefontsynonym[texnansi-lbr][whateverisusedinstead]

in principle these mappings can be added to type-dis.tex in which case
you can enable them with:

\usetypescript[berry][texnansi]

because most fonts i use are not in tex distributions i always generate
metrics using texfont; this is what i do when i install a font (i
normally install fonts on my windows laptop and when needed copy them to
the unix server)

put the originals on a font repository (flat)

mkdir h:\fonts\bh\lucida

i go to the root

cd /d h:\fonts

i remove instances in the texmftree

texfont --encoding=texnansi --ven=bh --coll=lucida --remove

then i generate metrics (and installs)

texfont --encoding=texnansi --ven=bh --coll=lucida --so=bh/lucida --ma
--in --expert

because math  is special, i move the math related files to

texmf-local|fonts/fonts/tfm/bh/lucida
texmf-local|fonts/fonts/type1/bh/lucida

in principle the files should now in the right spot

btw, i posted a zip with lucida metrics for texnansi and ec a few days ago

if there is interest, i can add the lucida metrics (ec and texnansi) to
the cont-fnt zip file

(lucida always has been kind of special because yandy had its own
opinions about fonts)

Hans