* GNU Emacs/ AucTeX configuration for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-01 23:30 Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2005-12-01 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Is there someone using GNU Emacs with ConTeXt. After some googlelyzing,
I've learnt :
1. ConTeXt mode from Berend de Boer is now included in AucTeX
2. Some people use Emacs with ConTeXt and METAPOST, but with special .el
files that seems not really up-to-date

I didn't found usefull information to configure properly AucTeX in order
to work well with ConTeXt and METAPOST, even in the auctex mailing list.
It's ok for the menu (apparently managed by site) but I don't have
syntax highlighting except for comment and indenting doesn't work well.
So, my questions are:
1. Since there is a ConTeXt mode, I suppose there is some advanced
features like syntax highlighting and indentation rules. Am I right ?
2. If I'm right, how to configure it ?
3. I will use METAPOST in my .tex files, how to manage this within Emacs ?
4. You know advanded features I must know ? ;-)

I'm sorry but I'm addicted to Emacs and don't want to use Scite even if
it seems ConTeXt-friendly. I'm aware of the fact that this mail is more
Emacs/AucTeX related but since I didn't succeed in finding answers yet I
submit this issue to the ConTeXt community.

Best regards,

* Re: GNU Emacs/ AucTeX configuration for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-02 17:23 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-12-02 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> 3. I will use METAPOST in my .tex files, how to manage this within Emacs ?

Once upon a time I used the mmm-mode for things like this. Should also work
for MP/ConTeXt.
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: GNU Emacs/ AucTeX configuration for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-04 20:59   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-04 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johan Sandblom wrote:

>I think possibly that the reason for the sparse syntax highlighting is
>the higher frequency of inline definitions in ConTeXt, making it
>impossible to keep up with it. I think it should be parsable, but
>requires emacs-lisp skills way beyond mine.

it's not that hard; i've done it in  modula (texedit), perltk (texwork),
c++ (scintilla) so ...; think of it this way:

- coloring of special characters: handle in per line
- coloring of commands: either all \cs or use a list (which i can
provide using ctxtools)

it's not that big a deal

Hans

* Re: GNU Emacs/ AucTeX configuration for ConTeXt
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-12-02 15:41 ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2005-12-02 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

2005/12/2, Renaud AUBIN <aubin@nibua-r.org>:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there someone using GNU Emacs with ConTeXt. After some googlelyzing, I've
> learnt :
> 1. ConTeXt mode from Berend de Boer is now included in AucTeX
> 2. Some people use Emacs with ConTeXt and METAPOST, but with special .el
> files that seems not really up-to-date
>
> I didn't found usefull information to configure properly AucTeX in order to
> work well with ConTeXt and METAPOST, even in the auctex mailing list.
> It's ok for the menu (apparently managed by site) but I don't have syntax
> highlighting except for comment and indenting doesn't work well.
> So, my questions are:
> 1. Since there is a ConTeXt mode, I suppose there is some advanced features
> like syntax highlighting and indentation rules. Am I right ?

Yes, although the highlighting is rather sparse, mainly it seems to
color anything after \ in gray, and the indentation rules somewhat
finicky, requiring you to adhere to a structure it can parse.

> 2. If I'm right, how to configure it ?

Some of the things are available as defcustoms but most of it I think
requires hacking the functions.

> 3. I will use METAPOST in my .tex files, how to manage this within Emacs ?

There is a metapost.el that is distributed with GNU Emacs (but not
with XEmacs, works there too though). I sometimes just change to that
major mode in the middle of the file, and this should be possible to
automate using mmm, but I never tried.

> 4. You know advanded features I must know ? ;-)

There is TeX debugging just as for LaTeX, automatically locating the
error in the source and explaining it.

I think possibly that the reason for the sparse syntax highlighting is
the higher frequency of inline definitions in ConTeXt, making it
impossible to keep up with it. I think it should be parsable, but
requires emacs-lisp skills way beyond mine.

> I'm sorry but I'm addicted to Emacs and don't want to use Scite even if it
> seems ConTeXt-friendly. I'm aware of the fact that this mail is more
> Emacs/AucTeX related but since I didn't succeed in finding answers yet I
> submit this issue to the ConTeXt community.
>
> Best regards,

Regards,

--
Johan Sandblom  N8, MRC, Karolinska sjh
t +46851776108  17176 Stockholm

* Re: GNU Emacs/ AucTeX configuration for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-02 15:22 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-12-02 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> 1. ConTeXt mode from Berend de Boer is now included in AucTeX
> 2. Some people use Emacs with ConTeXt and METAPOST, but with special
>    .el files that seems not really up-to-date

I haven't updated my AUCTeX for some time now, but I use ConTeXt/MP
with AUCTeX.

> I didn't found usefull information to configure properly AucTeX in
> order to work well with ConTeXt and METAPOST, even in the auctex
> mailing list.

> It's ok for the menu (apparently managed by site) but I don't have
> syntax highlighting except for comment and indenting doesn't work
> well.
> So, my questions are:
> 1. Since there is a ConTeXt mode, I suppose there is some advanced
>    features like syntax highlighting and indentation rules. Am I right
>    ?

No, wrong...

> 3. I will use METAPOST in my .tex files, how to manage this within
> Emacs ?

If I am right, there is some secret key combination (C-C !) and then
exit recursive edit (C-M-c).

> 4. You know advanded features I must know ? ;-)

Not really.

I started the ConTeXt mode in AUCTeX a while back, but once I've got
all the basics running, I stopped working on it. If you know elisp,
please consider contributing to AUCTeX.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: GNU Emacs/ AucTeX configuration for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-02 13:38 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-12-02 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Which auctex version are you using? The latest ones have context mode
built in. All you need to do is
M-x context-mode
Syntax highlighting, environment and font commands, compiling, most
things work. I don't know about metapost.

Thomas
On Dec 2, 2005, at 8:36 AM, Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there someone using GNU Emacs with ConTeXt. After some
> googlelyzing, I've learnt :
> 1. ConTeXt mode from Berend de Boer is now included in AucTeX
> 2. Some people use Emacs with ConTeXt and METAPOST, but with
> special .el files that seems not really up-to-date
>
> I didn't found usefull information to configure properly AucTeX in
> order to work well with ConTeXt and METAPOST, even in the auctex
> mailing list.
> It's ok for the menu (apparently managed by site) but I don't have
> syntax highlighting except for comment and indenting doesn't work
> well.
> So, my questions are:
> 1. Since there is a ConTeXt mode, I suppose there is some advanced
> features like syntax highlighting and indentation rules. Am I right ?
> 2. If I'm right, how to configure it ?
> 3. I will use METAPOST in my .tex files, how to manage this within
> Emacs ?
> 4. You know advanded features I must know ? ;-)
>
> I'm sorry but I'm addicted to Emacs and don't want to use Scite
> even if it seems ConTeXt-friendly. I'm aware of the fact that this
> mail is more Emacs/AucTeX related but since I didn't succeed in
> finding answers yet I submit this issue to the ConTeXt community.
>
> Best regards,

* Re: GNU Emacs/ AucTeX configuration for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-02 13:28 ` Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-12-02 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there someone using GNU Emacs with ConTeXt. After some
> googlelyzing, I've learnt :
> 1. ConTeXt mode from Berend de Boer is now included in AucTeX
> 2. Some people use Emacs with ConTeXt and METAPOST, but with special
> .el files that seems not really up-to-date
>
> I didn't found usefull information to configure properly AucTeX in
> order to work well with ConTeXt and METAPOST, even in the auctex
> mailing list.
> It's ok for the menu (apparently managed by site) but I don't have
> syntax highlighting except for comment and indenting doesn't work well.
> So, my questions are:
> 1. Since there is a ConTeXt mode, I suppose there is some advanced
> features like syntax highlighting and indentation rules. Am I right ?
> 2. If I'm right, how to configure it ?
> 3. I will use METAPOST in my .tex files, how to manage this within Emacs ?
> 4. You know advanded features I must know ? ;-)
>
> I'm sorry but I'm addicted to Emacs and don't want to use Scite even
> if it seems ConTeXt-friendly. I'm aware of the fact that this mail is
> more Emacs/AucTeX related but since I didn't succeed in finding
> answers yet I submit this issue to the ConTeXt community.

if you can specify what is needed for syntax highlighting, i can provide
the data (the distribution contains several editor config files, which i
automatically generate from the interface descriptions)

so ... specs is what we need

Hans

* GNU Emacs/ AucTeX configuration for ConTeXt
@ 2005-12-02  7:36 Renaud AUBIN
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2005-12-02  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)