From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Re: LucidaBright fonts...I'm stumped
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:39:50 +0100	[thread overview]

Henk Koster wrote:

>As a follow-up to my earlier message...
>
>I don't understand why ConTeXt cannot use the LB .afm/.pfb/.tfm files that
>are already present (for the texnansi encoding) in my LaTeX setup. Why
>does texfont need to duplicate all these files? Does ConTeXt not use the
>directory path search of teTeX?

we are using lb fonts for many year snow, and i'm not going to change my
setups -)

also, in the past texnansi metrics were not shipped consistently with
tex distributions; i've been bitten by this a few times

keep in mind that most of those metrics originate in the latex world, so
when something changes, the authors probably also patch the latex part
of it; i'm out of that loop so i want to play safe;

>It seems to me that, in my case, texfonts only needs to generate files
>that are peculiar to ConTeXt, like "texnansi-yandy-lucida.tex and

that' sjust a text file

>.map", and further use the .afm, .pfb and .tfm files that are already

indeed we have such map files because

(1) we needed them
(2) we want non conflicting specs
(3) we only want to load what is needed (older pdftex versions are slow
on big files)
(4) in future releaes the map files will go away, and we will use
mapline specs at runtime)
(5) in case you wonder about updmap: it was not present when texfont
came around, and is limited in its options
(6) i want context to be able to work with the tons of commercial fonts
out there (tex distributions only support a neglectable fraction of
commercial fonts)

as it happens, lucida is known to tex  people and therefore has support,
but that's not true for many other fonts

>present -- is there a way to do that?

sure, just map those long names to the ones you want, so, make a list of
mappings

   grep berry type-*.tex

will show you how. We can make a [berry][lucida][texnansi] typescript
which can be used for those who want (in that case you also need to
provide a proper map file for only the lucida fonts)

so .. no problem in adding that support, but others have to do the work -)

Hans